Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
Forum Member

zeiss flektogon 35mm f2.4 problem

I just got a Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon Electric 35mm f2,4. Based on internet reviews and pictures it looked a great lens but after some hours playing and testing it, I found out my copy has a problem.
At close focus it is sharp and really great lens, even wide open, but in medium / long distance subjects and landscape photos in general, weird things happen. Most of the times the lens is sharp only in a small portion of the center... what is this about? Can someone provide me any help?
Another problem is that it focus past infinity. I use a m42 adapter (not original but proved good with other m42 lenses I have).
Here are some examples. Please see photos 1 and 2 taken seconds apart to compare. There are no PP in the photos only resizing.
They where all taken at f8.

Thanks for any sugestions or help on this.

08-04-2011, 03:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
one of the glass element that move for focusing, is not well aligned.

I suggest you to send back your lense to get a new one.
08-04-2011, 03:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think you will be getting a new CZJ 35/2.4 . Although I wish they were still in production !

But something is out of order. Looks like you may need to send it somewhere to be collimated.

If those shots are seconds apart something may actually be loose. when you turn the lens over in your hand can you feel or see any movement inside the lens?

Eric
08-04-2011, 06:40 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Infortunately there is no guarantee on this lens, it's an ebay buy...
It's a pity because the lens looks very good on the outside, the glass is perfect, the focus is smooth (but not as good as Takumars).
When I shake it something makes "click" inside but I think its got to do with the aperture blades.
The strange thing to me is that at close range the lens is great, the problem it's got to do with the focus near the infinite mark. One thing with this lens, is that the focus ring has a lot of precision at close distances but at far away objects is very difficult to achieve focus.
I'm no expert in lens but probably I will try to disassemble and look around. I have to look for instructions on the web.

08-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

At the price these lenses sell for now it would be well worth it to fix it !
08-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, after some research on the web and finding this I took the courage to open the lens myself to take a look inside... It turned out so much easier than I thought.
I took off the lens mount (witch I found out it wasn't really necessary) then unscrewed the rear lens element and... a piece of glass was loose inside. I just screwed that in the place in the rear element group and that was it
As the lens was partially disassembled, and the aperture blades were right there in front of me, I adventured a little further and tried to clean them a bit. That was the most time consuming part (I didn't disassembled them) It took a lot of rubbing with cotton swabs and alcohol till the grease came all off, at least on one side.
All in all I am so glad I tried it and it worked out fine I was lucky (could have been a disaster)
I was anxious to get out and try it:

I still have problem focusing past infinity mark but no big deal I can live with that.
08-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

YAY ! It's a corker of a lens and I'm sure you will enjoy it.. As to focusing past infinity a whole lot of lenses do that. It's when you can't get to infinity that it's a problem. Really most shots that take in infinity are landscape types where the DOF scale is more appropriate at the apertures you would use in those cases anyway.

Congrats and job well done

Eric
08-06-2011, 05:52 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks!
I am no expert, I was really nervous about opening this lens and mess with it. but it turned out easy, this must be on of the most easy lens to disassemble and doing maintenance, right?
Only after the job was done, I thought I should have take some pictures of the process, that would be helpful in the future.