Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

All in one zoom lens

I am still learning my new Pentax K10D (second hand in new condition) camera. i love the IQ and the colors which I am getting from RAW images done with PSE9 ACR.
I have the 18-55 kit lens second generation which is quite nice but enough for me as I want wider view, longer reach and some macro like capabilities.
I can buy for a good price an almost non used
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC MACRO

How good is it? How does it compare with newer model? How is the IQ? Will I see a difference from the kit lens? For those of you who the Zuiko 14-54mm. lens - is the Sigma on the same level? It could also be nice to see samples.
Many thanks for any comment!

08-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ronyzmbow Quote
How good is it?
It's an excellent lens, probably the best in this range, when you consider the speed (aperture), the IQ, the close focusing, the build quality.

How does it compare with newer model?
The newer is a bit faster at the tele end, a bit worse for macro, almost identical optically.

How is the IQ?
Very very good.

Will I see a difference from the kit lens?
Hell yes.

It could also be nice to see samples.
You could visit the lens database here, or visit such websites as photozone and slrgear, or look at the "share your photos" section on this site.

In short : it's not quite up to par with the best primes Pentax makes, but it's quite near it. I find it the best walkaround, multi-purpose lens available.