Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2006, 07:22 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Any known Sigma 18 - 125 issues??

Hello All

I am on the verge of a lens purchase, and am looking at a good multipurpose lens. The lens I am really looking at is the Sigma 18 - 125 f 3.5 - 5.6.

I have generally read that it is an ok lens, that should be on par with the Kit lens in terms of image quality and sharpness. For those who own it is this true!!

My main concern has to do with any user issues like back focus/front focus, ar if there are any similar problems as with the 24 - 135 Sigma that I read all the complaints about blamking the LCD about.

I am not in a position to send these things in for service. It would probably cost me half the price of the lens just in shipping to and from, so I want to know if these issues are there or not from users of the K100D.

The only other lens option I see is the Sigma 17 - 70 which is unfortunately out of my price range right now.

Any thoughts on the 18 - 125 would be greatful

Thanks

D

12-17-2006, 08:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't own this len personally, but people who have it seem to like it. Sigma QC seems to be spotty, with a large sample variance. Curiouly, I've not heard a lot of negative comments concerning the QC on this lens.

Sorry I can't offer more.
-Alan
12-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks....

I remember reading about an issue of the blanking out of the LCD screen, but I couldnt remember if it was this lens or the 24 - 135. After reading, this problem seems to be exclusive to the 24 - 135 lens.

D
12-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #4

I have the 18-125 on my DL. It does seem a tad soft at long focus distances (maybe SR will cure this!), but it is razor sharp as an almost macro. It also tends to underexpose at smaller apertures (becomes noticeable above f/8 and gets worse), not sure if this is a lens or camera issue.

But as a cheap do-everything lens it has suited me very well.

12-17-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My first copy was soft on the left hand side but sharp on the right.. I returned that and my second had BF issues, but only when wide open and between 18-25 or so...

But other people I know had no trouble at all.. For me Sigma has been touch and go, some great others QC issues..

When it worked though I got some very crisp and well coloured photos from it.. Just use ptlens to fix the distortion..

Last edited by joele; 12-17-2006 at 02:23 PM.
12-18-2006, 03:28 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
My first copy was soft on the left hand side but sharp on the right.. I returned that and my second had BF issues, but only when wide open and between 18-25 or so...

But other people I know had no trouble at all.. For me Sigma has been touch and go, some great others QC issues..

When it worked though I got some very crisp and well coloured photos from it.. Just use ptlens to fix the distortion..
This is my fear. But I guess every once in a while you have to pay the lottery!!

I have a few days left before I make up my mind. I have a friend travelling to New York and can ask her to pick it up for me. The thing is I either have to give her a detailed list of things to check, as she is much more of a novice than I, and hope she remembers. But this would be considered a waste of here time, Or I just play the lottery and let her pick one up.

All things considered, I may just wait until next year to do this!!

D
12-18-2006, 03:07 PM   #7

I have one for sale, check the sale forum for information.