Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there was an effort a while back to make an new database or update the old one to include third party lenses also.

I think we got to data on over 200 lenses, in a table, but it never went further.

03-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cloudy Wizzard Quote
The question here is offcourse "Will these new Pentax users WANT to buy/own those "old" lenses" ???

I mean, I guess some (probably most ?) people will think that the newer lenses (DA and DA*) are much better quality then the old ones like the A series (also the convenience of autofocus and stuff like that).

I have the DA* 16-50 & DA* 50-135. My SMC-M 50mm f/1.7 is still a joy for me to use and gives me images that are just as sharp or sharper than either zoom at 50mm. My SMC-M 135 f/3.5 is just as sharp, but not as contrasty. I had the 50 & 135 primes before I had the zooms, and truth be told have probably had more 'fun' shooting with the old primes.

So if I were giving lens buying advice, I'd say start with the good Pentax prmes, learn photography, and then get some spendy zooms if you want the AF convenience.

I'll also say that the spendy zooms will not give you better images than you could get with the primes - but they *will make it much easier to get those top images.

03-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I have the DA* 16-50 & DA* 50-135. My SMC-M 50mm f/1.7 is still a joy for me to use and gives me images that are just as sharp or sharper than either zoom at 50mm. My SMC-M 135 f/3.5 is just as sharp, but not as contrasty. I had the 50 & 135 primes before I had the zooms, and truth be told have probably had more 'fun' shooting with the old primes.

So if I were giving lens buying advice, I'd say start with the good Pentax prmes, learn photography, and then get some spendy zooms if you want the AF convenience.

I'll also say that the spendy zooms will not give you better images than you could get with the primes - but they *will make it much easier to get those top images.

Very well said indeed. One can not go very much off target with the primes, Just be patient and use common sense when investing in a lens. Take the time to think about the lens within the area and subject matter you are photographing.

Here is a link that may help,

Depth of Field - a Multipurpose Optical Calculator

and this program

http://bobatkins.com/photography/technical/dofcalc_v002.exe

Last edited by WendyB; 03-02-2008 at 11:03 PM.