Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2011, 05:23 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 or Tamron 10-24???

My kit is nearly complete, and only missing an ultra-wide.............hard to justify the near $1000 price tag of a lens made by Tokina for us with Pentax wrote on it, when that exact same lens for other mounts goes for about half that, when Tokina puts their own name on!!!!! So, I'm needing help deciding between the two standard wides from Sigma and Tamron...........With their prices practically identical, whats the real advantage (if any) of one over the other.

08-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I got myself the Tamron 10-24 as an Xmas present with a US$100-off coupon that brought the cost to US$375 shipped. I could have got a used Sigma 10-20 (1st edition) for about that, or a new one for rather more. But I'd read many reports of users returning 2-3-4 copies of the Sigma before they got a good one, and fewer such reports with the Tamron. I didn't want to risk my carefully-scraped-together money on a lens with known issues. You'll find lots of love for the Sigmas; and I've talked to pros who despise Sigma's QC slackness. BTW I really like my Tamron; no problems.

Bottom line: You pays your money and you takes your chances. Buy either, or both, but be sure the seller has a no-questions-asked return policy.

Oh yeah, there are many other threads here that ask exactly the same question. Browse around and see the discussions. Good luck!
08-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nms_photog Quote
..hard to justify the near $1000 price tag of a lens made by Tokina for us with Pentax wrote on it...
My problem was the same! Having tried a copy of Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 and returning it for lack of sharpness in the corners at ANY aperture, I briefly looked for a Pentax 12-24 but nothing was available/affordable so just ordered another copy of the Sigma; as it is making its way from the West coast, I am hoping I'll get either a good copy this time, or will be one more try away from getting a good copy

If after three attempts Sigma still doesn't work out, I will probably try the Tamron before looking for alternatives.
08-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have the Tamron 10-24, very happy about it

08-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

I used to have Sigma 10-20/4-5.6. If you don't mind the slow speed and you'll get a good copy (my was excellent) you'll end up with terrific lens. It gets better reviews than Tamron 10-24 and also better reviews than it's newer, faster sibling Sigma 10-20/3.5 HSM.
08-08-2011, 05:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nms_photog Quote
My kit is nearly complete, and only missing an ultra-wide.............hard to justify the near $1000 price tag of a lens made by Tokina for us with Pentax wrote on it, when that exact same lens for other mounts goes for about half that, when Tokina puts their own name on!!!!! So, I'm needing help deciding between the two standard wides from Sigma and Tamron...........With their prices practically identical, whats the real advantage (if any) of one over the other.
Tokina doesn't make lenses for Pentax. Other than element design and formula, you will find build differences. For example, the 10-17mm fisheye zoom is a Jun Hirakawa (Pentax) design even though Tokina makes and sells them under their brand for other mounts. Same with several other lenses. When Pentax has rebadged some lenses in the past, they have been smc coated and included Pentax electronics. that said if I had a Nikon body, I would put the Tokina 35mm macro on it for $299 in a new york second even if the tokina versions do tend to be larger. There is also a big difference in the 12-24 vs. the Tamron and Sigma regardless if it has Tokina OR Pentax on it.
08-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Tokina doesn't make lenses for Pentax. Other than element design and formula, you will find build differences. For example, the 10-17mm fisheye zoom is a Jun Hirakawa (Pentax) design even though Tokina makes and sells them under their brand for other mounts. Same with several other lenses. When Pentax has rebadged some lenses in the past, they have been smc coated and included Pentax electronics. that said if I had a Nikon body, I would put the Tokina 35mm macro on it for $299 in a new york second even if the tokina versions do tend to be larger. There is also a big difference in the 12-24 vs. the Tamron and Sigma regardless if it has Tokina OR Pentax on it.

Oh, I Definately agree! If Tokina made current lenses for Pentax mount, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, as I'd already have their 11-16mm