Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
excanonfd, Funny you should mention the 35-105 because I found a Tokina in the same focal length for less than $50. I'm going to get this if it doesn't disappear on me before the first.
Did you manage to grab this one?

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
The Tokina I'm looking at is also macro. Is yours, RioRico?
Yes it is, with actual close-focus of 45cm and 1:4 magnification.

QuoteQuote:
In manual there is a Sigma 35-135mm. Not sure about that. The last Sigma I got from KEH had fungus and it did affect photos.
Older manual Sigma zooms don't get much respect. Yes, modern technology has improved greatly, especially with the lens coatings Sigma now uses. Or so I have read.

A note on old zooms on location: I mostly use my few old manual zooms for slower work, except in good light. Not because these are optically slow, but due to SR. If I'm going to shoot with a slower shutter, I want SR pretty dead-on, and that's always a pain with zoom MFL's. If I can keep the shutter at 2/FL or better, no problem. But my family gatherings range outside in sunlight and inside in dim rooms, and a zoom MFL without keyed-in SR needs too much ISO boost there for my comfort.

So if you don't get the faster longer prime (maybe 100/2.8?) that you first asked about, some AF zoom like 35-105 or -135 may indeed be most appropriate.

08-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
What's you alls take on Vivitar lenses? I found a Manual 35-105 for less than the Tokina. I couldn't find a review on it in the lens review section here. And no, RioRico, I didn't buy this one. I have to wait until I get paid for fixing this computer I have sitting on the floor next to me.
08-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Yes I agree. Perhaps, look at the M 135/3.5 which is a very good sharp lens and should be obtainable for under $100. They are usually fairly easy to find in places of sale (PF/Ebay/2nd hand sellers etc.) There is an M 135/2.8 ( I think, don't quote me on that)) but rather hard to find.

There is an A135 f2.8 but I don't think there is an M version of that lens. Super Tak 135 f2.5s I've seen recently are outside of the budget. The M135 f3.5 is a nice compact single package (hood built in) lens that can be had easily in the $60 range. Keeping in mind I wasn't very careful in taking a lot of these, here are some photos from the last M135 I sold.

Index of /Photos/ForSale/M135

Here are some from an A135 f2.8 (also sold) but it's typically in the $200+ range.

Index of /Photos/HelpandStuff/A135f28

Note that with both of these, the night shots are pretty much wide open apertures. I think the A135 is a little outside the budget too but you never know.

If you want to go single lens macro, a Tamron 90mm f2.5 adaptall runs pretty cheap (comparatively). A careful not in a rush search could turn one up within budget. (I was going to sell this one but changed my mind).

Index of /Photos/ForSale/Tamron90

You could also grab my Single in July lens for well within your budget..

Pentax A 35-105 f3.5 - a set on Flickr

I see them for $100-$125 (Ebay BIN) all the time. See my review of the lens before doing so however.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-35-105mm-F3.5-Zoom-Lens...e=3#review4018

No affiliation but, If you're interested..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-SMC-35-105mm-3-5-Lens-/140590962064?pt=Camera_Len...item20bbdfd590

Last edited by JeffJS; 08-10-2011 at 10:59 AM.