Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Does anybody have SMC F 28-80 zoom?

I just purchased this lens from a seller on e-bay. He said he's giving up 35mm photography to get a p&s for taking pics of his kids. I hope I don't end up doing the same thing. Anyway, it should be arriving this week, and was wondering if anybody here has used it and what thoughts they might have about this lens. If it's really good, it may eventually replace the kit lens for me. I find that zoom range very useful, and at f/3.5-4.5 it will be one half stop faster as well.

Last edited by Lipo; 12-17-2006 at 10:00 AM.
12-17-2006, 10:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Lipo,
Welcome aboard. Glad to see you here. SPLOSdb rates this lens a ** which is much better than the FA versions.It is the same rating he gives to my FA28-105 f3.2-4.5, which I think very highly of.

It should serve you very well.
Cheers
-Alan
12-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you Alan! That sounds awesome, and thanks for the SPLOSdb tip. I'm getting more excited thinking about it. Do you guys post a mandatory LBA first shot on this forum?

Happy holidays!
12-17-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Lipo,

I have this lens and I'm quite happy with it. It's quite heavy and solid feeling, unlike these new DAs. The AF motion is a bit slow on the DS compared to some lenses. The macro function works decent, but I recall that you have a better macro lens anyway. I use mine with manual extension tubes and the granularity I get with the combination works quite well.

Here's a shot with the lens using a #12 tube.

12-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for this image Ericc! ohhh, it looks good! I'm not too worried about AF speed, since my DS is beyond hope in that field anyway. An upgrade to a new body might be due in another dSLR generation or so, which should take care of it.

It would be annoying if it constantly hunts like many have reported with the FA 28-105/3.2, but I don't mind doing a little prefocusing and using AF-C if required. I also like manual focusing, and don't usually find quick-shift focus to be all that necessary, but a nice feature no doubt. I just hope it feels good, and gives me some image quality that I know the DS is capable of. Yes the macro lens I've got is great, and pretty much tells my other lenses to go back to school. I like that granularity!
12-18-2006, 04:22 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It just arrived today, amazingly fast. It seems to be in great shape. The glass is clean like new. Here's what it looks like on the old MX. I'll be taking it with me to Ft. Lauderdale this weekend for the holidays, so I should be able to bring back some pictures taken with it. It feels very nice in the left hand and focuses faster than my DA 18-55 on the DS, even in low light it's very accurate and fast. It's loud and "clacky" though, as the front element turns, and has some lighter plasticky parts besides the heft of the ruberized metal. It's a little monster!