Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2,8 Di LD [IF] MACRO

Does any one own a current version or fairly recently purchased Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2,8 Di LD [IF] MACRO lens?

I have read several reviews on both this and the Sigma version and the IQ of the Tammy seems to be superior but there are many concerns over the auto focus of the Tamron and the slowness of it and the poor manual operation option.

Comments anyone?

08-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I used a borrowed copy on my K-7 and AF was very good. Not HSM fast, but still very fast. I think on the K-x/K-r it might be a little slower. The K-7/K-5 should be pretty fast.
08-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own one and really like it. I read all the reviews too but have found in use that the switch to manual operations, for example, is a learned thing and I don't even think about it. The AF speed is ok, although if it has to hunt a bit it can be a bit slow. Again, I don't find it particularly limiting in use. Interestingly enough I can use it on my old film cameras too.

I have a high regard for this lens and have gotten some very good results with it. For the range that it covers, and the speed of the lens, it's a winner in my book. I formed that opinion on my K10/K20's but have been pleased that with the K5 it's even better.
08-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

On my K10D, it's about as fast as any other lens I have. What "poor manual operation option" are you referring to?

08-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #5

Optically, it's a wonderful lens. Focus is good, certainly not slow or inaccurate (K10D and K-7). Auto - manual switch needs a couple of days to get used to, but it's no big deal. If you find one at a good price, buy it!

Oh, and watch out for the sticky aperture problem
08-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. B Quote
Oh, and watch out for the sticky aperture problem
When is the last time somebody had that issue? 2 years?
08-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Probably.

Very happy with mine. A forum bigwig judged it awkward to hold :-) I suppose it could be if you don't move the tripod mount out of the way.

08-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Just picked one up last week. As for the supposed noise, my copy is a bit quieter than the da55-300 and lower pitched or more muffled. I toss that in since you are familiar with the da55-300. I am not in love with the placement and size of the focus and zoom rings and yes, the extra step to manual focus is there too but once engaged and you have your hand on the correct ring, its far more functional as a MF lens than the da55-300 for example. Very easy to focus. Hunting is no worse than any other long zoom I have tried. If it misses and does a full rack, you will start working to miss less. Wish it was a sealed lens, wish it had an internal motor like the da18-135WR, yadda, yadda...But sharp! It can hurt your eyes at f4 and still very useful at f2.8. Since it focuses slightly closer than 1m its a great butterfly lens among other uses. Just came in from shooting bugs and flowers with it.

F/2.8 is there if you need it but I found it impossible to adjust the camera for all focal lengths indoors even under natural light. BF at 70mm and FF 200mm. But shooting 200mm at f/2.8 closeup is not something I have much use for fortunately. One stop up at f/4 put the subject with the DOF at all focal lengths with a slight adjustment after testing at135mm. I have to say again, it is very sharp. My usual sharpness test for a new lens is on a grey cat with strong indirect light and at 200mm and f/5.6 it was the sharpest I recall ever seeing. If I find it tonight I will post it as a sample.

One thing I dont see many people bringing up is the size and weight. Its a bigger lens than the da*300 for example so don't plan on hidding it in your pocket when going to a pro football game. The cost of a full-frame, f2.8 lens. Anyway, coming from someone with less than 10 days ownership, its a high-value lens and I really like it.
08-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll chime back in here and say that imtheguy has it spot on in my opinion. I'll add one more thing. If you want to make your camera look like the 'big boys' but a base on it and the Tammy and people will think you are a pro...it's that big. However, I've been told by a Nikon shooter that actually compared to what he would have the Tammy's a lot lighter.
08-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Help me out Tim....a base?
08-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks every one ,
The reviews I found for some reason were all used on canon bodies, no other brand and while the IQ was reported as being superior to the Sigma version the Canon mount ones reviewed all seemed to have a problem locking on to focus in situations that surprised the reviewers. the manual focus system I am familiar with as I was lucky enough to buy a Tokina AF 28-70mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro SV recently which uses the same system and is a stunningly sharp lens.
08-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
I'm just saying... It was a very common issue and I don't know if where or how adwb will be buying the lens.
08-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I'll chime back in here and say that imtheguy has it spot on in my opinion. I'll add one more thing. If you want to make your camera look like the 'big boys' but a base on it and the Tammy and people will think you are a pro...it's that big. However, I've been told by a Nikon shooter that actually compared to what he would have the Tammy's a lot lighter.
It's the same weight as a Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 lens
08-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. B Quote
I'm just saying... It was a very common issue and I don't know if where or how adwb will be buying the lens.
Chances are even if it's a used lens, worst case is it had the problem and was fixed already.
08-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Help me out Tim....a base?
Grip?