Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
UPC Codes Removed

Has anybody else noticed that there are a lot of lenses being offered on eBay with the UPC codes removed for "promotional reasons"???
To add insult to injury, the sellers are cashing in the rebate and then selling at a premium on eBay . . . for example, just saw the 50mm F1.4 listed for $239 without the rebate. I just bought one at Beach for $199 (after rebate only $149).
Probably wont happen but I would encourage people to boycott these "dealers" and let them get stuck with the lenses.

12-17-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
Ed in GA

Hmmmmmm?

I hope that they actually have them in stock. I went ahead and ordered one as well.
12-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
I hope that they actually have them in stock. I went ahead and ordered one as well.
They should, I called their 800 number prior to placing the order to confirm stock.
12-17-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by rprii Quote
They should, I called their 800 number prior to placing the order to confirm stock.

Well, I just got an e-mail with a FedEx tracking number that is a shipping confirmation.

Says I can't track it until after 10PM on Monday.

We'll see...

12-18-2006, 08:21 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same here -- I got the FEDEX tracking confirmation and will check after 10PM tonight.

Different subject - one of the reasons I prefer Pentax over Canon - better value lenses. The Canon 50mm 1.4 has been selling for $250 - 350 on Ebay.
I don't know how the quality compares, but the Pentax 1.4 is supposed to be a great lense.

See: http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&sacat=-1&ftrt=1...=search&ftrv=1

For my needs I don't think I could justify spending that much. For $150 + tax and shipping, the Pentax 50mm 1.4 is a good value!

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
Well, I just got an e-mail with a FedEx tracking number that is a shipping confirmation.

Says I can't track it until after 10PM on Monday.

We'll see...
12-18-2006, 03:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This is quite common. I've sold a printer that I got the rebate on just to lower the price on my *ist DL kit (I bought the printer for $116, submitted the $100 rebate, and sold the printer for $75). I fully labelled my auction that the UPC had been removed for the rebate. The buyer obviously got a cheaper than new printer, and didn't have to wait for the rebate. I got the rebate after about 8-10 weeks.

As long as it is clearly stated in the auction, I see nothing wrong with it. Apparently the market agrees.
12-18-2006, 05:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, I have no problem with what you point out.

However, that is not what these guys are doing . . . same sellers, over and over . . . often, having several of the same lens for sale. I think that stinks and would wonder if Pentax honors the warranty if you had any issues.
12-18-2006, 07:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rprii Quote
Yeah, I have no problem with what you point out.

However, that is not what these guys are doing . . . same sellers, over and over . . . often, having several of the same lens for sale. I think that stinks and would wonder if Pentax honors the warranty if you had any issues.

Ahhh, that IS different. I wouldn't think a reliable dealer would do this. I probably wouldn't buy from them either. I certainly wouldn't count on them to support me if needed.

12-19-2006, 04:15 AM   #9
Ed in GA

FedEx tracking says mine is on the way and estimated delivery puts is here on Thursday. I'll have it in time for Christmas at which time it will get a good work out.