Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Buying lenses from Adorama?

Hope this is in the right place; I tried to reply to a thread on buying from Adorama but it was too old.
Do many folks here buy from Adorama through the website? Satisfied?
I was searching for a used zoom for my K1000 & found the website a bit lacking in details, to say the least. I e-mailed about one & they didn't answer the questions, then it took me 2 calls to find out (from a rather impatient fellow with a bit of an attitude) that there was a digital lens(es) listed under the 35mm bayonet mount link ("it's for a regular camera" he said ), there were 2 different SKU #s for the one I was interested in, one was a Pentax, one was a Sigma, they have many different lenses with the same SKU, one's digital, one's film; you get a different item with a different SKU when you click on a search result... & there are no pictures or details.
Oh yes, and he had a different price than what was on the website, & then made up a discount price on the spot, by which point I wasn't really sure anymore which lens it was for!
It seems to me that even if you think you know what you're getting, if you just buy off the website you might get something different, & when you call to sort it out it just gets more confusing.
Sigghh. I think I'll go back to watching KEH for the lens I want. Then again, I haven't tried them by phone yet...
(A REGULAR camera??! )

08-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Adorama is among the usual three places everyone recommends, including Pentax forums. All websites have errors, and bad communication sometimes happens.
08-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Is it worth to buy from it (as well as B&H while we're at it) Internationally? Because buying lenses from Aussie shops is ridiculously expensive...
08-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had VERY good experiences on all my purchases from Adorama. That includes several items purchased from their used equipment department. They are top-notch. Ditto for B&H.

Steve

08-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've bought lenses, binoculars and other Pentax accessories from Adorama and they normally arrive within 3-4 days. Postage with UPS is expensive, but still a whole lot cheaper than local. If you buy more than one thing at a time, the relative cost of postage per item drops. No Australian warranty, but with the savings, you could just buy a spare lens. The binoculars were 1/3 the Aussie price, for example. Adorama's site says they will post to a business address, B&H say that they will only post to residential address, which could be a security problem.
08-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Big Thumbs up for Adorama

I use to buy from the others, but now it's Adorama or Amazon if the price is $50 less.

I support Adorama due to the amount of info they give both on products and their series of tutorials on Adorama TV.

Make sure you buy check out the link I added below so that Pentax Forums gets credit for your purchase. It also has some nice perks in it for you as well. If you purchase anything from Adorama, B&H & Topaz Laps, it states,
"A portion of your order will then be donated toward our site maintenance costs"

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/97599-free-ma...opaz-labs.html

Last edited by glee46; 08-09-2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Spel
08-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I bought my 70 LTD from there, quick delivery, tracking was good until it entered AU. Considering buying another ltd from there today actually...
08-09-2011, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

As for the other posters, i have had some excellent experience with Adorama, both for new items and used equipments. I can recommend them highly.

Adorama wis among the 4 main places where I buy online equipments, with B&H, Keh.com and the PF marketplace. The 5th place where I buy photographic equipments is the local store, because you cannot replace the local feel and touch in some cases.

Hope that the comment will help.

08-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
Inactive Account

have purchased from adorama before and had a good experience.
08-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
I bought my 70 LTD from there, quick delivery, tracking was good until it entered AU. Considering buying another ltd from there today actually...
I bought my DA 70mm from Adorama too!

What a coincidence!

I have always had a good buying experience with either Adorama or B&H, but bear in mind that since I'm in New York City, I buy from them in person.

I just bought a pair of Pentax binoculars from Adorama recently.

I'm not just saying this because this is a Pentax forum, but I feel the Pentax glasses were superior to all the others in the price range.

Alliecat, perhaps you just got a salesman on the phone who was having a bad day.

I'm not defending him, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Adorama.

Mike
08-10-2011, 03:07 AM   #11
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
I was searching for a used zoom for my K1000 & found the website a bit lacking in details, to say the least.

Please accept my apology for the inconvenience and the frustration caused by this particular salesman. We have numerous competent and well trained sales associates all of whom who we hope are well-trained to be fully conversant with all of the products we carry, and the help and support we can give to our valued customers.

It seems on this occasion one sales associate was unable to serve you as you quite rightly should have expected. I do regret that he could not, and apologize.

If you would like to email me with the SKU number of the unit that interests you, I can arrange for some pictures to be emailed back to you. If you send me your 'phone number, I can have one of the department supervisors call you so you can ask any specific questions about the unit.

Finally, if you give me any additional identifying information regarding the rep, or the date and time of your call plus the number you called from so we can listen to the recording of the call, I will ensure that his manager takes whatever action is necessary to ensure that this will not happen again: Helen@adorama.com

Once again my apologies, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

BTW Thanks to all who have reported good experiences with ordering from Adorama - always great to hear!

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Last edited by Helen Oster; 08-10-2011 at 04:33 AM.
08-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
If you would like to email me with the SKU number of the unit that interests you, I can arrange for some pictures to be emailed back to you. ...
Heh... but like I said, there seem to be multiple lenses with the same SKU, or one listed with different SKUs depending on what page you look at. I did ask if he thought there was anything in the zoom range I wanted with a bayonet mount & he did come up with a Sigma, though not with the filter size I hoped for, & by that point I'd pretty much made a decision not to do business.
Actually I'm kind of glad they didn't seem to have what I wanted... since I don't seem to have a "regular camera".
Nice that other customers seem to have had good experiences. It does illustrate the better impression I'd had of the company. Everyone's case is different. I'm not spending any more time on it.
Thanks, Helen, but I'm done.
08-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Heh... but like I said, there seem to be multiple lenses with the same SKU, or one listed with different SKUs depending on what page you look at. I did ask if he thought there was anything in the zoom range I wanted with a bayonet mount & he did come up with a Sigma, though not with the filter size I hoped for, & by that point I'd pretty much made a decision not to do business.
Actually I'm kind of glad they didn't seem to have what I wanted... since I don't seem to have a "regular camera".
Nice that other customers seem to have had good experiences. It does illustrate the better impression I'd had of the company. Everyone's case is different. I'm not spending any more time on it.
Thanks, Helen, but I'm done.
If you were looking at the Pentax zoom & the Sigma for Pentax zoom, yes, they do have the same SKU - PXZA1835. One is 82mm filter size and one is 67mm.

I appreciate that you don't want to pursue ordering from Adorama - and in your position I might well be feeling the same way.
However, if we are to address the poor service from one of our staff, and work to ensure that this can't happen again, I really do need you to email me with additional details so we can find out who it was that you spoke to.
08-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I see you are from Canada. Be carefull on the freight charge
You should use this site to find the cheapest place to buy the lense. You need to put the proper province
Thanks
Photography, Digital Camera, Lens Price Comparisons for Canada - photoprice.ca