Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #1

Noob question regarding filters for my prime lens

I purchased the Pentax 21987 DA 35mm f/2.4 AL Lens and I'm looking to buy some ND, UV filters, but not sure what "size" I need. It doesn't seem to say on the lens itself. Can I just buy these?:
BK Filter 52mm UV+PL+DIF+MA+ND For Pentax Kx K-x K-r KR | eBay

TIA

08-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
You'll need 49mm filters, according to the official Pentax website. Also, the size should be written on your lens cap, usually on the back.
08-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For that lens, it also says the filter size on the bottom of the lens, opposite of the "Pentax DA 35MM F2.4 AL"
08-11-2011, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Since you say that you're.a "noob", you may not be aware that use of UV filters is extremely controversial. You might want to read up on the subject and see if you really want to spend money on one of those.

08-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

IMHO don't bother paying for any UV filters. Waste of cash. 1) they aren't really that helpful for protecting your lens from real harm, and 2) there are so many left in the world, and almost even john and mary bought one to "protect" their "investment" (ever heard of gold?) that you can find them for free EVERYWHERE hanging off of the ends of old cameras at goodwill (with a nice shiny lens for only 10 bucks). Pawn shops, camera outlets... never buy a new UV.
08-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
first a good CPL (polarizor) and then decide if you need slow shutter speeds for something. I like shooting waterfalls and my 2 stop ND filter is good for low to medium light but I also need a 3 stop for brighter scenes. But you should really understand why you need something before you start ordering.

UV filter is unnecessary imo.
08-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #7

Original Poster
I was just going to buy the ebay ones just to mess with them. For roughly $20, I would have all these filters to mess with. Thanks for the input guys.
08-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #8

Original Poster
last question....since i need 49mm, can I just get any 49mm lens filter kit or does it have to be specific for Pentax?

08-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Doesn't have to be Pentax specific, just needs to match the 49mm. Another vote here for forgetting the UV filter. Waste of money, get a neutral density or circular polarizing filter instead. Much more use out of those especially for shooting on bright days.
08-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Protection = lens hood when shooting, lens cap when not actively shooting.
Use a filter for an effect, not to fill the salesman's wallet.
08-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Protection = lens hood when shooting, lens cap when not actively shooting.
Use a filter for an effect, not to fill the salesman's wallet.
Sorry. I loved Marc's gritted-teeth/impartial-answer but as always in these filter threads we never start off with what the OP plans to shoot so we have no idea if blowing sand and salt mist on the beach will be an issue. Of course if the answer is a UV filter for indoor shooting, we can jump all over it.

For anyone who has never had to deal with mist near the beach, unlike fresh water, its greasy, impacts IQ and difficult to safely clean a lens until you get home. A $16 "protection" filter can be windexed on the lens and wipped for instant clear and catch the scratches doing that instead of the lens.
08-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, we know of your unfortunate circumstances, for which that may be a reason for a filter :-) For the vast majority of shooting, however, I still say nope.
08-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Yep, we know of your unfortunate circumstances, for which that may be a reason for a filter :-) For the vast majority of shooting, however, I still say nope.
My circumstances are pretty fortunate since thats what I enjoy. As far as "the vast majority" of course i agree with you. But some folks just feel they are better caring for their gear and thats fine too, for them.

I don't know why this has to be the same Ubuntu versus Windows arguement everytime it comes up.
08-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have to say I sympathise with anyone who wants to protect their lens from harsh environments (I live near the coast, so I'm quite often concerned about salt spray), but would say the following:

1. You should only use multi-coated filters made by a reputable manufacturer.

2. Even with a decent multi-coated filter, flare can sometimes be a problem; the main situation to worry about is night-time when there are bright lights in front of the lens. In these situations, it may be best to temporaily remove the filter.

There's some interesting info here:

UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com