Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2011, 05:37 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I find the macro mode of the F35-70 far better than the DA18-55 "macro", even though magnification is less. The DA 18-55 is at its worst at 55mm, and focusing closely magnifies the lack of sharpness. The F35-70 is great in macro mode, although only 1:4.

08-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
"It seems as they where aimed as a premium line for Sigma."
Yes. Sharp-eyed readers may have noticed that the old Sigma Epsilon series of Pentax AF lenses are the same as the Zeiss Jenazooms. And very, very, very sharp-eyed readers may have noticed that Access Tempo is another brand those same lenses were sold under. Nice thing is, unlike the Minolta mount versions of these lenses, they work great on current digital AF bodies. All metal construction, nice bokeh, good optics and if you look carefully, you can get a great deal on them.
08-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Yes. Sharp-eyed readers may have noticed that the old Sigma Epsilon series of Pentax AF lenses are the same as the Zeiss Jenazooms. And very, very, very sharp-eyed readers may have noticed that Access Tempo is another brand those same lenses were sold under. Nice thing is, unlike the Minolta mount versions of these lenses, they work great on current digital AF bodies. All metal construction, nice bokeh, good optics and if you look carefully, you can get a great deal on them.
Hmmm, have you used the Zeiss 35-70 Jenazoom? I've studied it online as best I can, including the following links provided by a friend:

Carl Zeiss Jena 35-70 f3.5-f4.5 MC Macro Jenazoom lens - Photo.net Classic Manual Cameras Forum
Carl Zeiss Jena Zoom lenses?: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/76128-carl-zei...m-28-70-a.html
Jenazoom lenses? | Shutterbug
CZ JENAzoom - Dyxum forums
Carl Zeiss JenaZoom II 28-85 [Archive] - APUG
Carl Zeiss Jena Zoom lenses - anyone? (Page 1) - Manual Lens: Usage - Manual Focus Forum

No one posts pictures taken with it (or if they did, the pics are no longer being maintained), nor is it clear what the final verdict is. In that last link, when asked if they are "any good," the answer was "Nope. Most of those Japanese 'Jena zooms' were quite mediocre. I used 'most' as there might be an accidental gem or two that I've never heard of. The chances are pretty low for that." However, he doesn't say he's actually used one, and so we are left to wonder if he knows first hand or is speaking from collected opinions of others.
08-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got a couple of lenses in that range actually and actually I like them. One is better than the other, but the range suits me sometimes for some kinds of portrait work. Also they suit me for just walking around for when I want slightly more range than a 50, but don't feel like carrying a full on zoom lens. The one that I have from Sears-Ricoh is surprisingly sharp actually and the colors are nice and warm when I use it. It's a good lens.

08-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
I find the macro mode of the F35-70 far better than the DA18-55 "macro", even though magnification is less. The DA 18-55 is at its worst at 55mm, and focusing closely magnifies the lack of sharpness. The F35-70 is great in macro mode, although only 1:4.
Same experience for me too. Don't get me wrong I like my 18-55 but the f35-70 is MUCH sharper at any focul length. if the 18-55 had it's level of sharpness I might never take it off

Eric
08-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
Hmmm, have you used the Zeiss 35-70 Jenazoom?
Not that one specifically. I have the Access Tempo 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 AF (same as Sigma/Zeiss Jena versions of the lens) and it's right up there with the 75-200mm f/3.8 (Sigma/Zeiss Jena/Access Tempo, though the Access Tempo will be called an 80-200mm). Since these lenses have been ignored so much, and mistakenly attributed to other makers (like in this instance), I would go looking for the 28-70mm. Gives you a bit more reach than the 35-70mm. (Only thing to note about the 28-70mm is that it really wasn't designed with MF in mind since they didn't put a rubber focus grip onto it, so it really is more an AF lens.)
08-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #37
Veteran Member

i found a nice example on ebay uk.
It said " made in japan under license"
carl zeiss jena pentax fit 28mm f2.8 case & boxed | eBay

can't find anything on ebay US.

08-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote

can't find anything on ebay US.
Lol, thanks for trying . . . but I started this thread because I found one of those myself, and had never heard of it. I am a Zeiss fan and was hoping it was an undiscovered treasure. But so far all I haven't been able to find anyone who can say they have actually tried one out. Maybe we should all chip in and have someone test it!
08-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I also saw one for sale, at a non-zeiss price.
I don't have too much experience on CZJ.
I was thinking to buy it and tried it out too. lol

I had a tessar CJZ 50mm/2.8, a fairly cheap one which didn't impress me a lot compare to the takumar 50/1.4.
Well, I guess I will save the money.
08-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I'm guessing that most would like the 35-70 as an all around portrait lens. I would be more interested in a 25-75 all around walk around lens. It's nice to have the wide angle on the 18-55 but if I'm sightseeing I feel more limited by the 55mm end of the range.
08-18-2011, 03:10 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
Would a Sigma-made zoom of that era would be optically better than the F35-70? I doubt it.

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I'm guessing that most would like the 35-70 as an all around portrait lens. I would be more interested in a 25-75 all around walk around lens. It's nice to have the wide angle on the 18-55 but if I'm sightseeing I feel more limited by the 55mm end of the range.
Yes, 35-70 is a good people range. Yes, wider is better for general walkaround. So is longer. That's why I mostly carry the DA18-250. But in an optimized kit.lens range, how about the Sigma 17-70?
08-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
But in an optimized kit.lens range, how about the Sigma 17-70?
That's the conclusion I've about come to as well after looking at every lens I can find (though the FA 24-90 would be a great FL range . . . if only it were built better). I owned the DA 17-70 and loved it for the FL it covered, but my copy at least was also soft at all FL and F stops. I have avoided the Sigma worrying it had the same problem after a number of people here who had owned it seemed to prefer the Pentax 17-70. At under $50 the F35-70 is an amazing bargain however -- it was hard to pass up trying it out -- plus such a lightweight little thing. The new Sigma HSM version at 535 grams is quite a bit bigger and heavier; and though lighter/smaller than the HSM version, so is the earlier Sigma 17-70. Still, reviews like this one are encouraging.
08-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Yes, 35-70 is a good people range. Yes, wider is better for general walkaround. So is longer. That's why I mostly carry the DA18-250. But in an optimized kit.lens range, how about the Sigma 17-70?
I would be far more interested in a $50-100 zoom that was half the size of the sigma and much cheaper. And there are some out there but tbh I'm not really interested in zooms.
08-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #44
Veteran Member

35mm as a starting point is pretty useless. Unless that's the widest you really need to go.
08-19-2011, 05:36 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
35mm as a starting point is pretty useless. Unless that's the widest you really need to go.
Not if you are pairing it with a Fa 20-35, or similar. But then, who (else) is doing that?