Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2011, 02:01 AM   #1

how to clean the front element

hi guys im kinda new to photography anyways after a heavy duty usage of my lens recently i realized that i have accidently touched the front element and there are thumb marks thus can you kindly tell me what equipment or cloth should i use to clean it
thankz

08-13-2011, 02:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Us a blower to get any dust off the lens, then breathe on it and wipe off the condensation with a lens tissue.
08-13-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
Forum Member

Or buy a Lens Pen. It's basically a fat pen with a small soft pad on the end with lens cleaning fluid in it. Pretty cheap, lasts ages, and does a great job.
08-13-2011, 03:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I vote for a lens pen (whose fat end is microfibre).

08-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Whatever the way, just don't get anal about it.

Most dust or particles have next to no effect on the pictures. May happen to be visible in high F shots. Fingerprints and other smudgy substances (fat, liquid raindrops) can cause haze and softness so should be cleaned.
Unless the there is a good reason (moist buildup etc) to clean the lens, the least you clean it the better and safer for the lens.

When i do clean my lens, first i use rocket blower, then without applying any pressure i swipe off any hard particles that might scratch the lens using a soft optic cloth. After shaking the cloth violently i use it with some pressure to clean various marks (e.g. dried water drops).
08-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
Us a blower to get any dust off the lens, then breathe on it and wipe off the condensation with a lens tissue.
That's the way I do it and nothing wrong with it at all.
08-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Most dust or particles have next to no effect on the pictures. May happen to be visible in high F shots. Fingerprints and other smudgy substances (fat, liquid raindrops) can cause haze and softness so should be cleaned.
Indeed. Even fairly severe front-element damage won't affect images much beyond lowering contrast, except at tight f-stops. Somewhere I saw a contest about HOW F*CKED IS YOUR LENS? where objectives with scratches, cracks, smashes etc still deliver decent images. Anyone with an extra Meyer Domiplan 50/2.8 can easily conduct the test: How badly can you smash it before it becomes useless?

(I don't have an extra Domi, but one of my superfluous M50/2's might be sacrificed. For science, of course.)

QuoteQuote:
Unless the there is a good reason (moist buildup etc) to clean the lens, the least you clean it the better and safer for the lens.
And the other end of the lens pen is a nice soft brush for whisking-away dustoids.

Last edited by RioRico; 08-13-2011 at 02:16 PM.