Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Size of FA 50 vs DA 18-55?

Hi,

My wife has a K-x & is unhappy with the size of the 18-55 kit lens. She says that the lens is a little too big for her to grab & photograph the kids quickly. I know it sounds a little silly but she said she would use the camera a lot more if she had a smaller lens. I explained to her that she wouldn't be able to use a zoom & she seemed fine with that.

My question is: how does the size of an FA 50 compare to the 18-55? I am having a hard time deciding between the 50 & a 40mm limited pancake. I know the 40 would be considerably smaller than both but she shoots inside a lot in low light & I thought the extra stop to be had with the 50 would help a lot. She shoots a lot of video indoors as well. My concern is that the 50 may be a little too long (focal length) for shooting in the house. I have looked at the dims for these online but they don't seem right? Does anyone have a picture of an FA 50 next to an 18-55?

Thanks a lot for the help!

George

08-13-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why don't you check the EXIFs of her photos? They will give you a clue about the focal lenght she usualy uses.

Another small (and affordable) lens would be the F35-70. It's handy for video as well, I remember it being parfocal (stays focused when zooming in/out). About $50 on ebay used.

Seb.
08-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Seb,

Thanks for the reply. I have looked to see what FL she uses most & I think she would be happy between 40 & 50 most of the time. I looked at the F35-70 & thought that it was about the same size & probably a little heavier than the 18-55? I was hoping to get her a faster lens as well.

Thanks again!

George
08-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The FA 50 is smaller, but still pretty hefty due to all that glass.

Have a look at the DA 40 or, perhaps, DA 21. Depending on her style, one of those two would be more useful. That is as small a lens as one can get (other then that, she might be a good candidate for a P&S).

08-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The F35-70 is the smallest zoom ever made by Pentax. Compared to the DA18-55, it is noticeably smaller and about an ounce lighter. It is also damn sharp and agile and cheap. The FA50/1.4 is noticeably smaller than the F35-70; its weight is about midway between those two zooms. The DA40/2.8 is MUCH smaller and lighter than any of those. It also costs more. Hope this helps!
08-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think your wife will use the camera a lot more with the 40mm, not because of the size but the huge leap of image quality compare to the kit lens.