Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FA35 versus NX30 image test comparison

so I got myself a new toy recently and I might as well do some personal assessment of the new system and lens by doing some shootout.

before I post the photos, I think it would be necessary to point out the specifics of the test.

the testing was conducted indoors with natural lighting at set apertures f2 and f4 respectively. ISO set at 100. AWB. tripod was used inorder to avoid camera shake. images are shot from mfd and midrange distance at 9ft. manually focused by using respective LV mode for both cameras. both are shot with RAW with no enhancements nor sharpness adjustment done.

important Note: systems used are K-7 and NX100. lenses are FA35 and NX30. K-7 size is 2x of the NX100. FA35 size is 2x of the NX30. FA35 MFD is .3m (5.9 magnification), NX30 MFD is .25m (6.25 magnification).

Image #1

general sharpness, DOF, AWB, FOV

as you can see, the NX30mm gives more FOV at similar set distance at 9ft. now this can be attributed with some factors as well such as size of the camera, MFD, and lens size as well. contrast is pretty much even for both lenses but sharpness we see some distinguishable difference even at small/shrink size. the NX30 is noticeably sharper at both wide open (f2) and the strongest aperture for both lenses which is at f4. DOF is pretty much the same at this scenario. AWB for both cameras display a vivid representation, although the NX100's AWB gives a bit more accurate representation.

Image #2

DOF, bokeh, sharpness, AWB

here we see that both lenses display similar DOF and bokeh characteristics. set at their MFD, both display a pleasing/very good bokeh representation in this situation. the NX30 display a warm cast. the difference in sharpness is highly noticeable at f2, but not so much at f4.

now let's take a closer look at the images by showing some crop comparisons.

as you would notice, the crops show a very different story when it comes to sharpness rendering. here is where both lenses are separated by their sharpness capacity and evidently the NX30 proved it's worth as a formidable lens on it's own. it clearly outdid the FA35 given the same scenario. I would say that any person who is after such focal length size and rendering will be extremely happy.

notice: I made a slight focus error on the NX30 f4 apple image (image #2 , noticeable on the crop comparison between it and f2 of the same lens). although it would still show it's strong sharp rendering nonetheless.

final thoughts: although it seems that the NX30 pretty much won the shootout, I wouldn't necessary dismiss the fact that both lenses are tested on different systems. I have yet to see how both lenses would perform using the same camera system. I would post an update regarding this, once I receive my adapter. but for now, the NX30 lens is something that NX users should be really happy about.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 08-13-2011 at 11:09 AM.
08-13-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Impressive, thanks.
08-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It seems, that the FA35/2@2 apple shot is out of focus, so the comparison is invalid.
Could it be so?

Still, I'm rather impressed by NX30.
08-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
FA35/2@2 apple shot is out of focus
My thoughts as well, if ever so slightly.

08-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
to me it seems Samsung is sharper a tiny bit, but FA has a nicer bokeh. Choose your preference
also NX exposure looks little bit brighter....
08-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
It seems, that the FA35/2@2 apple shot is out of focus, so the comparison is invalid.
Could it be so?

Still, I'm rather impressed by NX30.
this was my initial impression. although it is the best focus I could get from the FA35 wide open at MFD using LV magnification. but anyways, I would try to do another test, just probably slightly above MFD if that changes things.

having said that, I do concur about the impressive performance of the NX30 overall.
08-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
to me it seems Samsung is sharper a tiny bit, but FA has a nicer bokeh. Choose your preference
also NX exposure looks little bit brighter....
Yes the NX exposure is brighter and also has faster shutterspeed as well. it could be the NX system or it could be the lens or simply both. as far as bokeh, well the FA looks appear slightly better.