Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Lens will not fit into m42 adapter! Please help!

Hi, this may seem like a really silly question BUT, I recently found some old lenses in the attic and I really want to use them on my Canon DSLR.

I did some research and found out I needed something called a m42 adapter. I brought one, it fits into my camera but the lens does not fit on. The lens is the SMC Pentax-A 1:1.7 50mm. Am I being really silly and not doing it right or did I buy the wrong adapter? I though anything with a K mount would fit into the m42 adapter, I am VERY confussed.

08-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alfie_mint Quote
I though anything with a K mount would fit into the m42 adapter, I am VERY confussed
No that's not correct- the K mount is a bayonet mount and not a screw mount.

If you're looking for m42 lenses then you'll want a takumar, or any lens listed here: Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Complete Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The m42 adapter is for adapting m42 lenses to a k mount camera; not for adapting k mount lenses to something else.
08-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Oh god Ok, so is there no adapter that would let me put this lens onto a Canon DSLR?

thanks!

08-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Oh god Ok, so is there no adapter that would let me put this lens onto a Canon DSLR?

thanks!
On the upside, that lens is going for $70-$100 right now. Recycle it back into the Pentax community and get yourself a 50mm f1.4 super takumar (which Is an M42) or a 55mm f1.8 Super Takumar.. Or, a 50mm f1.8 Canon lens.

OR----- just to be a little snarky...

You could Dump the Canon gear and join us here on the dark side by buying a Pentax Then you could use all the K mount lenses you can find, no adapters required.

08-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hahaha very true but I only just got my canon! haha. The thing is I don't want to sell it as I have a beautiful old Pentax P30 and I want to continue using that lens on there as I love shooting film as well. I do have an old Tokina DS 70-210 lens that I would consider selling, any idea how much these are going for?
Thanks!
08-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm uncertain why folks are guiding you to buy M42 lens for your adapter, when you can get the correct adapter...need a Pentax K lens to Canon EOS adapter.
08-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok thanks! Do you have any idea what that adapter is called, or any place I may be able to get one? I'm going to be using it on a Canon 550D/T2i/Kiss X4.
Thanks again!

08-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A quick eBay search for PK EOS ADAPTER reveals many such. Have fun!
08-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
need a Pentax K lens to Canon EOS adapter.
rhodopsin is right.
adapter with focus conformation
AF-Confirm Pentax K PK Lens to Canon EOS Camera Adapter | eBay

adapter without focus conformation
Pentax Pk K lens to Canon EOS adapter rebel serie | eBay
08-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Hahaha very true but I only just got my canon! haha. The thing is I don't want to sell it as I have a beautiful old Pentax P30 and I want to continue using that lens on there as I love shooting film as well. I do have an old Tokina DS 70-210 lens that I would consider selling, any idea how much these are going for?
Thanks!
Good stuff from both worlds then I guess. Enjoy it either way..

08-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #12

Unless the film was exposed to light you will get the images out of it. The final result is depending on many variables, but hey - letting the lab develop and scan you film is not that expensive. And there may be some surprise for you in those old images too!
08-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by RBullCZ Quote
Unless the film was exposed to light you will get the images out of it. The final result is depending on many variables, but hey - letting the lab develop and scan you film is not that expensive. And there may be some surprise for you in those old images too!
Good answer, but doesn't apply to the OP's question.
08-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by mannesty Quote
Good answer, but doesn't apply to the OP's question.
I should have use quote, the original post I was replying to was removed for some reason...