Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
at the end of the day, pricing would still be the issue. the question is, what people consider as a fair price?

it is easy to do something to a lens or a camera, but to put or retain a value for it afterward is a challenge. that is what's wrong with such a practice or shameful for others to consider. and it did give you to think about and consider even if you said that is none of your concern. otherwise, why would you ask for a fair price for a mangled equipment in the first place?
Is this a deliberate attempt to misunderstand my statement? If someone buys my camera and lenses at a fair price, what they do with it afterward is no concern of mine.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The FA 43 ltd will have to have the aperture lever repaired to function properly on a Pentax body. This issue here would be making the claim "they work perfectly well" when in fact that is not really true.
Where in the Craigslist ad do you see the seller claiming that the lens will work perfectly fine with a Pentax camera? He/she says the lens works perfectly well and goes on to say that the lenses have been modified for the 5D. After reading that, for anyone to assume that these modified lenses would work "perfectly well" with a Pentax camera, would indicate their naivete level is reaching stratospheric.

QuoteQuote:
I suppose the owner of the Mona Lisa could paint over it with primer and repaint the canvas also. There are some early low serial # versions of the 43 that have collector value.

:sarcasm:
Actually, I have read of cases where smugglers of stolen masterpieces would paint over the canvas and posing as an art buyer, openly carry it out of the country. Whether this was done with Mona Lisa, I have no idea.

Thanks,

08-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Is this a deliberate attempt to misunderstand my statement?
what for? :ugh:
08-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

next time, I might just modify an EF 85/1.2L II USM Canon which works perfectly well for Pentax and sell it for $1,500. that makes a lot of sense, considering it's perfect.
08-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this a deliberate attempt to misunderstand my statement? If someone buys my camera and lenses at a fair price, what they do with it afterward is no concern of mine.

Where in the Craigslist ad do you see the seller claiming that the lens will work perfectly fine with a Pentax camera? He/she says the lens works perfectly well and goes on to say that the lenses have been modified for the 5D. After reading that, for anyone to assume that these modified lenses would work "perfectly well" with a Pentax camera, would indicate their naivete level is reaching stratospheric.

Actually, I have read of cases where smugglers of stolen masterpieces would paint over the canvas and posing as an art buyer, openly carry it out of the country. Whether this was done with Mona Lisa, I have no idea.

Thanks,
The Craigslist seller didn't specify which camera it would work perfectly well on. No matter how the say it, the aperture doesn't work perfectly well anymore. It is functionally a K/M type lens that may or may not auto focus. The aperture is stop down no matter what body it is stuck on. However, I would bet that there aren't that many folks that have the full frame Canon bodies in a given CL market unless it was NYC, Chicago etc. I encounter fewer people with an actual full frame dSLR than I do with a Pentax dSLR. However, my point was that the Canon person took a $569 lens and cut its value in half. That is assuming it isn't a "low serial number" lens in which case the canon user would not only be naive all the way to the stratosphere but a complete dumb arse. There are a lot of folks that have modifed their full frame bodies by shaving the mirror etc. to use other lenses (not just Pentax) without screwing up the lens.

All this said, I would give the seller $125 for the lens.

08-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Lens-chopping gets pretty contentious, eh? I've chopped a few for Pentax usage.

* Some are reversible: Exakta or pre-AI Nikon, no problem; certain Argus, it's possible.
* Some are still usable on their native mount: Olympus OM and Contax-Yashica, no problem.
* Some are totally unusable on their native mount: Nikon AI or Petri, gone forever.
* Some I haven't done as they need mount replacement: Minolta, X-Fujinon, Praktica Bayonet.
* At least one should be easy but I can't afford the lens to start with: Leica R, no way!

The ethics of lens-chopping is beyond me. I can factor-in value: Is the lens too valuable to chop, and if so, to whom? I feel few qualms about chopping lenses of 'dead' brands like Petri, Minolta MD, Argus, Exakta. Perhaps to a Canoneer, Pentax *is* a dead brand. I don't hesitate to chop cheap lenses. Perhaps to a rich Canoneer, an FA-Ltd *is* a cheap lens. As long as any chops are revealed when the lens is sold, I see no ethics problems here.

And a non-mangling chop needn't ruin the lens for its native mount. I mentioned OM and C/Y lenses; my trimming of bayonet flags doesn't ruin them. And I've benefited from a chop job on a K50/1.2. The seller had trimmed its aperture flag to fit on an m4/3 mount -- enough so it was no longer pristine, not enough to impair function on my K20D. I'm sure a pristine copy would have cost me more than US$250 shipped. The surgery kept it affordable for me.

That Craigslist ad reveals the chops. Those may or may not be good prices for Canon-modded lenses in the Canon community, I don't know. But my bottom line is: DON'T SWEAT IT. C'mon -- the 43Ltd is a nice piece of work but it ain't no Mona Freaking Lisa. If somebody takes a chainsaw to convert their '63 Porsche Sportster into a pickup, fine. If someone takes a Dremel to convert a Nikkor 85/2 to fit a PK mount, fine. (Oh yeah, that was me.) As long as the mods are revealed at sales time, fine.

OTOH, I hate that Canoneers and NEXters are snapping up all our good Pentax glass and raising prices. Damn them!

The Craigslist seller didn't specify which camera it would work perfectly well on.
The ad is headed 3 MANUAL LENS FOR CANON 5D. That's pretty specific.
08-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #21
Site Supporter

The point on the Mona Lisa was that if some dropped $500 million or whatever for it, they could primer over it and paint something else there or give her a mustache or better yet, give her a frown. It would still piss a bunch of people off while others would laugh hysterically.
08-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #22
Veteran Member

The point on the Mona Lisa was that if some dropped $500 million or whatever for it, they could primer over it and paint something else there or give her a mustache or better yet, give her a frown. It would still piss a bunch of people off while others would laugh hysterically.
didn't you know that the Mona Lisa was Leonardo himself without the beard?

08-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

If you can buy the lens new still, by all means chop em up for use on your canon body. If its legacy glass (any and all) than thats where I have a problem. There's barely enough for us pentax users as it is
08-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
next time, I might just modify an EF 85/1.2L II USM Canon which works perfectly well for Pentax and sell it for $1,500. that makes a lot of sense, considering it's perfect.
If you can modify an EF 85/1.2L II lens to work with Pentax DSLR (MF, ME and infinity focus) you may actually have serious buyers lining up to buy one.
08-16-2011, 05:25 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

f you can modify an EF 85/1.2L II lens to work with Pentax DSLR
not possible, the canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II focuses by wire - the lens doesn't use a helicoid to focus the way almost all pentax lenses do. The focus mechanism of the EF85mm f/1.2L II requires power to be sent to the AF motor to focus even in manual mode.

though it is possible to modify the FD 85mm f/1.2L to suit pentax camera bodies - however that lens isn't even in the same league as the Pentax FA*85mm f/1.4

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-16-2011 at 06:25 AM.
08-16-2011, 06:16 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
If you can buy the lens new still, by all means chop em up for use on your canon body. If its legacy glass (any and all) than thats where I have a problem. There's barely enough for us pentax users as it is
Not if it is one of those low serial # early versions that allegedly have a different SMC coating containing lead or leaded glass.

This is exactly the reason I think Pentax needs a Specialty Assembly line and release some of these classic lenses in other mounts in addition to K-mount. They could be selling the K18, K28/2, A 50/1.2, and A* 85/1.4 to these Canon and Nikon folk and perhaps come out with manual focus only versions of the the FA ltd series in ef and F mount for the Canonikon people. A Specialty Assembly line could be kept busy with various batches of special projects and be sustainable. Tokina has shown that af versions of the DA 10-17 FE, 12-24, DA 35mm macro etc. can work in canon and Nikon mounts.

Last edited by Blue; 08-16-2011 at 06:50 AM.
08-16-2011, 06:20 AM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
not possible the canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II uses a focus by wire - the lens doesn't use a helicoid to focus the way almost all pentax lenses do. The EF85mm f/1.2L II requires power to be sent to the AF motor to focus even in manual mode.

though it is possible to modify the FD 85mm f/1.2L to suit pentax camera bodies - however that lens isn't even in the same league as the Pentax FA*85mm f/1.4
Those FD 85/1.2L still bring pretty good prices for a dead mount!
08-16-2011, 06:24 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those FD 85/1.2L still bring pretty good prices for a dead mount!
and now you know why.I modified one of my FD 85mm f/1.2L lens and the results weren't bad at all, but the FA77 was more convenient to use - and more compact.
08-16-2011, 06:46 AM   #29
Veteran Member

If you can modify an EF 85/1.2L II lens to work with Pentax DSLR (MF, ME and infinity focus) you may actually have serious buyers lining up to buy one.
I'd be happy to see those numbers when or if it happens.

having said that, did you know that there are old FD mount 85/1.2's which are 1/4 of the price of the new 85/1.2? I can't imagine some people would seriously line-up on a $1,600-$,2000 converted lens over an older $500-$600 converted lens with similar focal&aperture lens capability.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 08-16-2011 at 06:54 AM.
08-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
and now you know why.I modified one of my FD 85mm f/1.2L lens and the results weren't bad at all, but the FA77 was more convenient to use - and more compact.
those FD's aren't dead on the mirrorless cameras. it's more like the mirrorless cameras are the Viktor Frankenstein of old legacy lenses. or is the universal camera system for all types of mounts which are easily adaptable without undergoing surgery. hopefully, I could borrow Douglas' 200/4 FD macro.