From the local Craigslist:

3 Manual Lens for Canon 5D

QuoteQuote:
No scratch, no fungus and every lens works perfectly well
SMC PENTAX - A 50mm 1.4 manual lens modified to use with 5D and follow focus
$160 or best offer

SMC PENTAX - FA 43mm 1.9 Limited lens modified to use with 5D and follow focus
$ 440 or best offer

Contax Carl Zeiss Distagon 28mm 2.8 lens modified to use with 5D and follow focus
$ 400 or best offer
I wonder what "every lens works perfectly well" means in this case? Missing or cut aperture lever? Glued on EOS adapter?

It's like seeing a really hot woman light up a cigarette. What a waste!

08-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
not just that. considering the seller is asking for top dollar at best for them.
08-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #3

Well considering you can use it on a full frame DSLR which Pentax doesn't make, i'd say it's a reasonalbe thing to do. It'll be years if Pentax ever decideds to go full frame, so if you got the glass and want to use it as it was designed, a 5D classic will set you back around $1000 dollars. A cheap adapter, $40 bucks.
08-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I wonder what "every lens works perfectly well" means in this case? Missing or cut aperture lever? Glued on EOS adapter?
I inquired.

He apparently mangled the aperture lever, turning the FA 43 into a lens with M42 functionality.

As if Pentax gear wasn't rare enough...

08-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There was someone on here that showed photos taken with his 31 LTD mounted on a Canon 5D (MkII?) a few months ago. Except instead of castrating his beloved lens, he put his CAMERA under the knife.

As it should be.
08-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

What's wrong with that? I buy German and Russian lenses, should I feel any remorse in doing so? If Canon lenses worked with Pentax bodies, I'd be buying them too.

Thanks,
08-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
What's wrong with that? I buy German and Russian lenses, should I feel any remorse in doing so? If Canon lenses worked with Pentax bodies, I'd be buying them too.

Thanks,
would it be ok for you if your camera body is castrated or modified instead?
08-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
would it be ok for you if your camera body is castrated or modified instead?
Yes, definitely! As long as the butcher buys it from me for a fair price, what he/she does with it is no concern of mine. If you think it's such a crying shame that someone is buying Pentax lenses to modify them for his/her Canon camera, buy one or buy all yourselves to preserve Pentax purity (whatever that means).

08-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some of the full frame cannon goobers shave their ff mirrors to take k-mount lenses and they sometimes still have to cut the aperture lever. Usually I see this with A or K 50/1.2 or K 28/2 etc. and often with the A* 200/4 macro.
08-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes, definitely! As long as the butcher buys it from me for a fair price, what he/she does with it is no concern of mine. If you think it's such a crying shame that someone is buying Pentax lenses to modify them for his/her Canon camera, buy one or buy all yourselves to preserve Pentax purity (whatever that means).
at the end of the day, pricing would still be the issue. the question is, what people consider as a fair price?

it is easy to do something to a lens or a camera, but to put or retain a value for it afterward is a challenge. that is what's wrong with such a practice or shameful for others to consider. and it did give you to think about and consider even if you said that is none of your concern. otherwise, why would you ask for a fair price for a mangled equipment in the first place?

Last edited by Pentaxor; 08-15-2011 at 01:33 PM.
08-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Thanks,

The FA 43 ltd will have to have the aperture lever repaired to function properly on a Pentax body. This issue here would be making the claim "they work perfectly well" when in fact that is not really true.

I suppose the owner of the Mona Lisa could paint over it with primer and repaint the canvas also. There are some early low serial # versions of the 43 that have collector value.

sarcasm
08-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote

I suppose the owner of the Mona Lisa could paint over it with primer and repaint the canvas also.
:sarcasm:
I bet it wouldn't be an expensive firewood and be sad to get rid off.
08-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
he put his CAMERA under the knife
The preferred method of dealing with the mirror issue. FWIW, this is a long-standing compatibility problem with short-registration cameras that pre-dates the K-mount.

Steve
08-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
he put his CAMERA under the knife
Aye remember that vaguely, got a feeling a Dremel was mentioned, scarey tool inside a camera.
08-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Guess it wasn't the 31mm he made the mods for after all, but here we go:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/130552-pentax-full...well-sort.html