Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2007, 11:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So how good is the new Pentax 18-250mm?

I read multiple posts where people claimed to be getting this lens today. People saying they'd upload images from the lens by tonight (Monday evening, Nov 26th)

Well, I haven't seen a single one yet!

Did the lens get delayed or something? Or are you guys just still out there shooting?

I'm waiting to make a decision on this lens based on the feedback (and especially the images) that the people on this forum post.

Please post up some shots and give some feedback. And yes, I know it's early, but most of us tend to know whether or not we've made a wise decision within just a few minutes of use... or maybe that's just me...

Thanks!!

-Tim

11-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess everyone who has this lens is still out taking pictures with it?

(I probably would be too!)
11-27-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm with you... sitting anxiously and awaiting some reviews and some images.
11-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

HERE's some samples

11-27-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice shots! Look just likethe ones I've been getting from my Tamron. (8- )
11-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #6

You got it John

QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote
Nice shots! Look just likethe ones I've been getting from my Tamron. (8- )
Yeah, funny that.. I bet if we posted comparison pics and hid the lens 'Brand', the good ones would be picked as the 'Pentax' Tamron, not the 'Tamron' Tamron.

I have been having fun, and happy with my 'Tamron' 18-250 since they came out, and can see no difference, as if there would be, in the 'Pentax' 18-250, and it is cheaper too.. yeehaa!!

Pentax did well to recognize the value in this lens, good for them... and really I hope they do more, it is good for all of us if their sales boom.

Fun really... us humans are crazy too...

Phil
11-28-2007, 09:08 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Got mine and have a few simple shots from it up. You can view the thread with the URL's to the full size images (from DNG) at:

Pentax 18-1250 has arrived! Sample Shots Included! - Pentax / Samsung dSLR - Digital SLR Cameras - Steves-digicams.com Forums

Robert

11-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #8

Can anyone tell me if the Pentax (or Tamron) 18-250 is a parfocal lens?

Thanks, BobG

Last edited by BobG; 11-28-2007 at 10:56 AM.
11-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'll have a wild guess & say it's as good as the Tamron
11-28-2007, 10:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Robert, it looks great!

How does it perform in low light?

How's the vignetting and such? I am just getting into photography, but I need one walk-around "jack of all trades" lens for a 6 month world trip that I'm about to take...

If I were stayin in county I'd go after the old primes, but I don't want to have to be switching lenses in and out while traveling, and dragging a bunch of equipment around... ya know?

But I focus on low light photography- I low night shooting- and sunsets... so if it's no good at low light, then it's not going to work for me.

Have you tried it at dusk or night yet?

Thanks!

-Tim
11-29-2007, 12:02 AM   #11

What is 'Low Light'? Your results may vary.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
Thank you Robert, it looks great!

How does it perform in low light?

How's the vignetting and such? I am just getting into photography, but I need one walk-around "jack of all trades" lens for a 6 month world trip that I'm about to take...

If I were stayin in county I'd go after the old primes, but I don't want to have to be switching lenses in and out while traveling, and dragging a bunch of equipment around... ya know?

But I focus on low light photography- I low night shooting- and sunsets... so if it's no good at low light, then it's not going to work for me.

Have you tried it at dusk or night yet?

Thanks!

-Tim
I use the 18-250 Tamron as a walk around lens, all light, all weather lens. I only use the centre point focus for 95% of my shots, and would say that unless it is too dark for the naked eye to make out an edge or a change in contrast, the camera will not likely lock either.

I find this for all lenses, and obviously the smaller the aperture the worse it gets. I have no problems with the Tamron 18-250, no more than any other lens. I simply move the focus spot to a point of contrast or lighter edge etc, partial press to focus lock and reframe.

Fast candid shots in the dark, or no light to speak of? good luck.. low light? No worries...

Vignetting etc? For scenery, portraits, macros.. who cares? For shooting pics of brick walls, trellises, full frame architectural shots?? I do not really know, it may have some issues, but I honestly never see them. If they are there, and they may well be if others say they are, but I do not have a problem.

My two cents..from experience, I have had the Tamron for over 6 months..50+ years of photograpic experience and really believe you will not go wrong with this lens, it is a class act!!

Phil

Last edited by matix; 11-29-2007 at 12:09 AM.
11-29-2007, 09:03 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the Tamron 18-250 but returned it. I wanted it for a travel lens. Some images seemed soft to me and there were a few times when an image appeared out of focus on one side. I have heard others report similar experiences. Mine may have been a bad copy. Of course, I am spoiled by my limited primes. It would be great if the Pentax version fixed these problems.
11-29-2007, 09:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matix Quote
Vignetting etc? For scenery, portraits, macros.. who cares? For shooting pics of brick walls, trellises, full frame architectural shots?? I do not really know, it may have some issues, but I honestly never see them. If they are there, and they may well be if others say they are, but I do not have a problem.

Phil
Let me show you some vignetting and sharpness issues.
These shots are made in RAW, no PP.

First vignetting.
Attachment 6280
You can see the dark areas in the upper 2 and the left lower corners very cleary.
Yes, I know, I can handle that in PP, I do, but still....
Attachment 6281

Now the sharpness issue.
Attachment 6279
and a crop of the center of the image.
Attachment 6282

Not as good as I would like to see it.
My old Panagor 70-210mm P thread lens for my Ricoh 35mm camera did better 30 years ago.

- Bert

Last edited by bymy141; 12-11-2007 at 03:30 PM.
11-30-2007, 09:07 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Can't say I haven't had the time to play since those first shots. I will try to get to it this weekend.

Robert
11-30-2007, 09:13 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Well my bet is the Pentax even if it is the Tamron with name and other small changes is going to be better than the Tamron. Pentax has a lot more to loose by putting out a poor quality lens. They aren't close to the top of the list of market leaders. Tamron on the other hand is well known for quality control issues.

I really don't think Pentax is going to risk customers and what little marketshare they have and not make sure the lens with their name on it isn't the best it can be for that grade of lens. This is a $500 lens.

I would also like to point out that just because specifications look the same doesn't mean that it is a Tamron lens. It could be that both Tamron and Pentax designed the 18-250 to the best specifications possible (f stop speed, etc.) and so they came out very similar for a lens that is 18-250mm. I don't know, but no one knows if it is a Tamron either. As I said Pentax has a lot more to loose than Tamron does.

Robert