Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #16
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near The Mouse (tm)
Posts: 85
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Didn't work, I tried it before that's why I had to pay full price now

Crap. Well, I guess I'll have to pay full price, too. No fun.

08-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #17
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
Maybe you just have too much money!

If there are lenses you aren't using, sell them and donate the proceeds to charity, you'll feel great about it.
It's not that I have too much money. I work my *ss off to get money like everyone else. I figure we only have only life to live so might as well live it fully...

To be honest, I sometimes do not feel too proud about my impulsive LBA behavior but I hope this time I won't regret this one.
08-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #18
Site Supporter
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,197
I have the DA14mm f/2.8. I never, ever use it at f/2.8, so that is not an advantage, at least not in my eyes. I do feel that the 14mm perspective is an advantage over 15mm, at this scale every mm counts (Can you hear me Ricoh/Pentax, 10mm prime, pleeeeease!!)

But a big disadvantage of the 14mm versus the 15mm is its size. It is no where near pocketable, and becomes real big with the hood installed.

When all is said is done, i would trade the wider perspective of the 14mm for the size of the 15mm.
08-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 971
No, only an insane man will not buy a DA 15mm. ;]

08-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #20
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I have the DA14mm f/2.8. I never, ever use it at f/2.8, so that is not an advantage, at least not in my eyes. I do feel that the 14mm perspective is an advantage over 15mm, at this scale every mm counts (Can you hear me Ricoh/Pentax, 10mm prime, pleeeeease!!)

But a big disadvantage of the 14mm versus the 15mm is its size. It is no where near pocketable, and becomes real big with the hood installed.

When all is said is done, i would trade the wider perspective of the 14mm for the size of the 15mm.
Agreed that 1mm is a lot at this scale. However, have you considered the flare resistance capabilities of the DA15? From the pictures posted by the DA15 fans, there is no way the DA14 can do that - at least with mine.
08-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #21
Site Supporter
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,197
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Agreed that 1mm is a lot at this scale. However, have you considered the flare resistance capabilities of the DA15? From the pictures posted by the DA15 fans, there is no way the DA14 can do that - at least with mine.
Well, if I was in the market today, I would definitely go with the 15mm.
When I made my purchase, I wanted the widest non-fisheye prime I could get. But like i said in my previous post, the 14mm is very unweildy, and I never use it wide open anyway, so the stop advantage it has over the 15mm is moot.
08-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #22
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 30,641
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Guys - I must confess, I have sinned, again...


Thank God I already own a 15mm and before anyone says anything, I know 15mm FF lens aint the same as 15mm designed for a DLSR, but it's still a 15mm.
08-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #23
Pentaxian
builttospill's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Utah, Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,642
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote


Thank God I already own a 15mm and before anyone says anything, I know 15mm FF lens aint the same as 15mm designed for a DLSR, but it's still a 15mm.
I'll trade anytime you'd like!!!

08-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Biro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,159
Not to barge into a good conversation but I picked up the DA 21 a few weeks ago and just love it. It may very well become my most-used lens. 35mm used to be my favorite focal length back in the film days and the 31.5mm equivalent that you get with the DA 21 isn't much wider. But the DA 15 is next.
08-16-2011, 04:40 AM   #25
Veteran Member
TOUGEFC's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,561
The biggest apeal of the DA15 is its size, yes there are wider and faster lenses but can you name a smaller lens thats under 21mm?..... No you cant , thats because there isnt one.
Thats what makes the DA15 so special, its wide and small with excellent IQ......its in a league of its own
08-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #26
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
The biggest apeal of the DA15 is its size, yes there are wider and faster lenses but can you name a smaller lens thats under 21mm?..... No you cant , thats because there isnt one.
Thats what makes the DA15 so special, its wide and small with excellent IQ......its in a league of its own
Combined with the talented Pentaxian photographers like yourself, it's even more special. I'm so impressed with what you guys have put in the "DA15 controls my mind..." thread. Can't wait to slap that DA15 on my K20D and start shooting.
08-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #27
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
Well I'm not going to talk you out of a DA15, it's simply a joy to shoot with and keeps delivering images that put a smile on my face every time I use it. Enjoy your new lens and be sure to post your images in the mind control thread
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da14, da15, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens, temptation
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc Wide angle wllm Post Your Photos! 6 12-07-2009 09:57 AM
What lens should I add to my collection? Zeroset Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 03-30-2009 07:24 PM
Add Another 6 to My Collection MightyMike Post Your Photos! 14 03-01-2009 10:12 PM
Best wide angle for collection? schmally Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 03-21-2008 05:05 AM
"New" Camera to add to my collection. J.Scott Photographic Technique 3 01-18-2008 07:56 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:36 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top