Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
Am I insane to add a DA15 to my current wide angle collection?

Guys - I must confess, I have sinned, again...

Today, I just can't resist to the temptation and bought a DA15. I think I will blame it on the "The DA15 controls my mind" thread! I have tried to ignore the DA15 for quite awhile now trying to replace it by the DA14 but I've failed today.

I currently own this set of WA composed of DA10-17, DA14 and Sigma 10-20 but still can't resist to the temptation of adding the DA15. I will receive the lens in about a week and I'm really looking forward to trying it.

My conscience is telling me that I must be really mad by buying all these lenses. I have so many duplicates so probably either the DA14 or DA15 will have to go a month from now.

08-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,816
You are not mad, but you are making me jealous as the DA15 is the only one in that range that I don't have. Oh, and I can add my DA21, Tokina 19-35, DA*16-50, Samsung 12-24 to your list too but I don't have that 15...grrrr.
08-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
Of COURSE you're insane. But why let that slow you down? Make your insanity work for you! Get a Zenitar 16/2.8 too! By all accounts, the DA's 14 and 15 are very different lenses -- not quite as different as the 10-17 and 10-20, but still... Oh, and I have a Vemar 12/8 you may be interested in. And there's still an 8mm calling for your. D'ya hear its lonely voice in the balmy breeze? It cries, Ducdao, Ducdao, take me, take me...
08-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Of COURSE you're insane. But why let that slow you down? Make your insanity work for you! Get a Zenitar 16/2.8 too! By all accounts, the DA's 14 and 15 are very different lenses -- not quite as different as the 10-17 and 10-20, but still... Oh, and I have a Vemar 12/8 you may be interested in. And there's still an 8mm calling for your. D'ya hear its lonely voice in the balmy breeze? It cries, Ducdao, Ducdao, take me, take me...
Someday, shrinks will be taking care of photographers for what will be known as the RioRico syndrome.

08-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
Senior Member
mannesty's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Totana - Murcia (Spain)
Posts: 127
I don't have any of these wide lenses because my12-24 satisfies my needs in that area.

The 14mm is 1mm wider and a stop faster than the 15mm, but the 15mm is one of the 'Limited' stable and I'm guessing it produces results associated with that elite series of glass.

So no, you're not mad, eccentric maybe, but not mad.
08-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Of COURSE you're insane. But why let that slow you down? Make your insanity work for you! Get a Zenitar 16/2.8 too! By all accounts, the DA's 14 and 15 are very different lenses -- not quite as different as the 10-17 and 10-20, but still... Oh, and I have a Vemar 12/8 you may be interested in. And there's still an 8mm calling for your. D'ya hear its lonely voice in the balmy breeze? It cries, Ducdao, Ducdao, take me, take me...
I just sold the Zenitar 16/2.8 a week ago. It was brand new, nothing wrong with it but I just prefer the DA10-17 over it. I also have a mint Takumar 17/4 that will likely hit the marketplace pretty soon too. The Vemar 12/8 is too slow and the 8mm is too fishy to my taste.

My reasonning to add the DA15 despite being slower than the DA14 (f4 vs. f2.8) is mainly of its size and flare resistance. I find the DA14 is barely usuable at f2.8 anyway. I have to stop it down to enjoy the pictures. Well that's in theory only, I will do a side by side comparison when I have the DA15.

Besides, I have a little penchant for the limiteds
08-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mannesty Quote
So no, you're not mad, eccentric maybe, but not mad.
That's comforting haha
08-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
You are not mad, but you are making me jealous as the DA15 is the only one in that range that I don't have. Oh, and I can add my DA21, Tokina 19-35, DA*16-50, Samsung 12-24 to your list too but I don't have that 15...grrrr.
Yah - I have my eyes on that DA21 for a while now too. Not sure when I will pull the trigger. The DA*15-50 is a bit over my budget for now and SDM horror stories are still preventing me to embrace it.

08-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian
builttospill's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Utah, Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,675
Well, you may never know unless you try it out, so good for you. If you like it and can afford to have many nice lenses in that range then why not?
08-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Taiwan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,075
The DA 15 thread is selling a lot of lenses. And those guys have really picked it up a notch recently. Some amazing work in there. They are also selling a lot of black glass (10 stop ND).

both might be added to my collection soon.
08-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
Pentaxian
v5planet's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,913
You're only insane if you end up not using them all and hold on to them regardless.
08-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member
timh's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wales
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 445
Maybe you just have too much money!

If there are lenses you aren't using, sell them and donate the proceeds to charity, you'll feel great about it.
08-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near The Mouse (tm)
Posts: 85
It was a mistake. Terrible lens. Awful perspective, and from what I've seen, it takes bad shots in all situations. In fact, when you go to unload it, I'll bet it won't be worth more than 200 bucks, tops.

Send me a pm when you're ready to dump it.

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Guys - I must confess, I have sinned, again...

Today, I just can't resist to the temptation and bought a DA15. I think I will blame it on the "The DA15 controls my mind" thread! I have tried to ignore the DA15 for quite awhile now trying to replace it by the DA14 but I've failed today.

I currently own this set of WA composed of DA10-17, DA14 and Sigma 10-20 but still can't resist to the temptation of adding the DA15. I will receive the lens in about a week and I'm really looking forward to trying it.

My conscience is telling me that I must be really mad by buying all these lenses. I have so many duplicates so probably either the DA14 or DA15 will have to go a month from now.

Please tell me that sarcasm comes through on forums the way I intend...
08-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
The DA 15 thread is selling a lot of lenses. And those guys have really picked it up a notch recently. Some amazing work in there. They are also selling a lot of black glass (10 stop ND).

both might be added to my collection soon.
Agreed. I ordered my first 10 stop ND filter because of that thread too. Maybe we should ask Adam to lock that thread
08-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jason 407 Quote
It was a mistake. Terrible lens. Awful perspective, and from what I've seen, it takes bad shots in all situations. In fact, when you go to unload it, I'll bet it won't be worth more than 200 bucks, tops.

Send me a pm when you're ready to dump it.




Please tell me that sarcasm comes through on forums the way I intend...
Didn't work, I tried it before that's why I had to pay full price now
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da14, da15, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens, temptation
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc Wide angle wllm Post Your Photos! 6 12-07-2009 09:57 AM
What lens should I add to my collection? Zeroset Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 03-30-2009 07:24 PM
Add Another 6 to My Collection MightyMike Post Your Photos! 14 03-01-2009 10:12 PM
Best wide angle for collection? schmally Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 03-21-2008 05:05 AM
"New" Camera to add to my collection. J.Scott Photographic Technique 3 01-18-2008 07:56 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:25 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top