Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
B) perhaps this also goes to show that the FA 35 is really a little overrated by the community.
My FA 35/2 is pretty darned sharp and I have a hard time believing that these results are from a representative copy and/or in focus. I would suggest not testing lenses at their minimum focus distance. Convention is 20x the focal length.

That being said, the NX 30 results are impressive.

Pentaxor...Any chance of posting the EXIF? I am curious as to how much sharpening and contrast boost was applied by LR in the RAW conversion..

Steve

08-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Interesting stuff Pentaxor.

A) this NX 30 looks mighty impressive.

B) perhaps this also goes to show that the FA 35 is really a little overrated by the community. I think it is actually a great little lens, but the current price it sells for is a little much, considering it is not much different in practice (from an IQ standpoint) from the DA 35 2.4.
I would say it's choice A. I wouldn't say that the FA35 is overrated but rather something new and better lens just came out. and we can thank Samsung that they are able to price this particular lens competitively. having much resources certainly have it's perks in terms of production cost.
08-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My FA 35/2 is pretty darned sharp and I have a hard time believing that these results are from a representative copy and/or in focus. I would suggest not testing lenses at their minimum focus distance. Convention is 20x the focal length.

That being said, the NX 30 results are impressive.

Pentaxor...Any chance of posting the EXIF? I am curious as to how much sharpening and contrast boost was applied by LR in the RAW conversion..

Steve
Hello there Steve. I have a hard time believing the results as well. I had already done shooting the FA35 at midrange and infinity. although the results are much more in-focus and looks sharp compared to MFD, the results would still not that better than the NX30.

I'm not sure on how I could post the actual EXIF by screen grab since my browser now doesn't have that add-on anymore. but anyways, here is a quick answer to your inquiry. the sharpening and contrast applied by LR is by default.

+25 sharpening and +25 contrast were applied both on the FA35 and NX30 images. even if I eliminated both parameters down to "0", the results are pretty much the same (NX30 is sharper).

new test results just came up. I will be posting it on a new thread in a few minutes. the new one is pretty interesting. and would like to ask for some of your input.
09-02-2011, 01:52 AM   #19
Forum Member

Hi there, the NX 30 mm f/2.0 can be fitted on a pentax dslr or needs an adaptor?

09-02-2011, 03:57 AM   #20
axl
Veteran Member

I believe since it's NX lens it's registration distance is way too short to work on K mount
09-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davinci Quote
Hi there, the NX 30 mm f/2.0 can be fitted on a pentax dslr or needs an adaptor?
sadly we are not that lucky.
09-02-2011, 06:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That was discussed in part 3 but as far as I'm concerned I'm convinced that the test is flawed. No reviews on the web show so much discrepancy, the lenses should be very close in performance (a very good point for the NX). If using LR or most other raw converter (except dcraw) it seems that some post-processing is applied (evidenced by Photozone review about the vignetting).

Not that this test is useless, it clearly shows that if using the NX system, it's much better to use the NX30 than the FA35 on it.