Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FA35 Vs NX30 comparison part deux

ok guys, this is just an update or follow up on the test I did earlier.

this time I made it extremely 100% sure that no doubt about the focusing. focusing is done both MF and AF. MF is just for fine tuning and improvement ever so slightly that it would clearly see that the images aren't out of focus.

condition is set outdoors, with natural light at shutterspeed 1/500 on tripod (definitely no camera shake here), ISO 100 at f2. distance is just a lil bit off MFD but close nonetheless. RAW file format was used with no further pp adjustment done except for jpeg format conversion.

images at 100% crop.

FA35 at f2

NX30 at f2

ok, this is the best that I could get out of both lenses. I even put a lens hood on the FA35 for enhancement. but nonetheless, the results are pretty clear and consistent and identical from the initial tests conducted. I don't have the numerical data for comparing both lenses, but I think the NX30 rendering exceeds that of the FA35 not just a few lines but by a long shot. again, I'm not dismissing the fact that different camera system was used which could had contributed to such gain as well even if they have almost the same pixel count (K-7 has just a bit more higher mp resolution). sensor could be the same or improved. or the lens is just that great. I'm not saying that the FA35 is bad or not fantastic, but rather saying that something better than it just came up.

08-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
a bit sized down FA35 image. still render the same perceived result.

compared to the same NX30 image.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 08-15-2011 at 12:16 PM.
08-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter

sized down it is a bit closer but still miles apart!
08-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
condition is set outdoors, with natural light at shutterspeed 1/500 on tripod (definitely no camera shake here), ISO 100 at f2. distance is just a lil bit off MFD but close nonetheless. RAW file format was used with no further pp adjustment done except for jpeg format conversion.
A couple of questions for clarification.
- Did you use the timed shutter delay (w/ mirror lockup) on the Pentax?
- How did you convert from raw? Different programs use different defaults for a particular camera.
- The FA 35 has been tested as one of Pentax's sharpest lenses. Maybe your copy is not up to scratch?

08-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
A couple of questions for clarification.
- Did you use the timed shutter delay (w/ mirror lockup) on the Pentax?
- How did you convert from raw? Different programs use different defaults for a particular camera.
- The FA 35 has been tested as one of Pentax's sharpest lenses. Maybe your copy is not up to scratch?
1.> Yes, I did a 2 sec timed shutter delay with mirror lockup. however, even if I didn't do a mirror-lock-up, with a shutterspeed of 1/500 fixed on a tripod would eliminate any vibration that would cause the image to be off-focus a bit.

2.> I used the recent LR 3.4 for both systems. the RAW format for the NX which is SRW will be automatically converted to conventional DNG raw same as that of what I'm using for the Pentax. the automatic conversion is done during import which took a long time to process. ColorSpaces although not that related to the question are both Adobe RGB just for information. what is interesting however is that the file size for the SRW is 26MB which is slightly twice as big as the convential DNG format which is about 12MB. whether this has an effect on the image data, I'm not sure. but once the SRW is converted to DNG, the file size is compressed or reduced to 12MB same as the Pentax DNG.

I also made sure that the parameters from both cameras are the same. from contrast, color, sharpness, etc...

3.> I considered that idea only when I made the comparison with the NX30. I was atleast expecting the difference to be minimal or atleast close with a slight edge to the NX30, but never thought of it to be a runaway or that much difference.

I even suspected my copy to be a dud to be honest when I saw the difference. but then again, I remembered dong some tests in the past pitting the FA35 against 50/1.7 which is known for it's sharpness at wide open as well. in that result, both lenses rendered the same level of sharpness at wide open which are really sharp. so it can't be the FA35 do be a dud. otherwise, my 50/1.7 could be a dud as well? I doubt it.

I don't blame anyone to be doubtful because I myself have some doubts considering the FA35's stature as a sharp lens. seeing how it got simply manhandled in the comparison would make anyone say "no freakin way" or "that's impossible". it just can't be that good.....better. having said that, I'm just happy/glad to have both lenses.

but this is not the end of it. I would still make one final test once my PK/NX adapter arrives. who knows, the tides might change or equalized.

note: I took several FA35 similar shots and chose the best shot of the image I could get from it.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 08-15-2011 at 02:55 PM.
08-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Focusing?
08-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
considering the file size of the SRW format, I can now understand why it takes a while for the camera to clear the buffer. I suppose it is advisable to use a Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC card for performance.

08-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That is a center crop right?
08-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Focusing?
Pentax - AF and MF, both magnified. then chose the best shot out of the similar images I took.

NX - AF and MF, then chose the best shot out of the similar images I took.
08-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
That is a center crop right?
Yes......... and leveled both camera and the text plain to each other at 90 degrees.
08-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the nx10 and the nx35mm f2 and it is very sharp even wide open. I got the nx10 as a camera I could take anywhere easily and get results comparable to the k20d and I pretty much leave the 35mm on it all the time. I actually sold my 31mm shortly after getting the 35mm f2 as I didn't think there would be a FF pentax any time soon and needed money for a 24-105mm f4 for my canon.
08-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I have the nx10 and the nx35mm f2 and it is very sharp even wide open. I got the nx10 as a camera I could take anywhere easily and get results comparable to the k20d and I pretty much leave the 35mm on it all the time. I actually sold my 31mm shortly after getting the 35mm f2 as I didn't think there would be a FF pentax any time soon and needed money for a 24-105mm f4 for my canon.
you meant the NX30mm. although honestly the NX camera sensor are somewhat comparable to the K20/K-7 sensors, except that the NX100 seems to handle noise better in the shadows. not the typical destructive chroma noise that is prevalent but luminance. ugly noise however seems to show in the higher ISOs as expected.

personally, I had been looking for a competent AF lens wider than the FA35 because I'm much more comfortable on using a 28mm focal length lens, not that I don't love the FA35. the FA31 would be my choice but the price somehow looks for justification for purchasing it. the Sigma 30 and Sigma 28 were also a consideration but I wasn't that too happy with the overall performance and size of both. the NX30 somehow came as a bonus or gift for that while I was looking for a walkaround camera much smaller than the K-7. so that's basically 2 for the price of one. I wouldn't had considered buying the NX30 if I saw how bad it was when I tried it in the store initially. the test comparison is more like an icing on the cake for my purchase.
08-16-2011, 04:20 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe this is why, when Pentax re released the FA 35 as the DA 35, they made its maximum aperture f2.4 as compared to f2 on the FA?
08-16-2011, 06:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Maybe this is why, when Pentax re released the FA 35 as the DA 35, they made its maximum aperture f2.4 as compared to f2 on the FA?
you have a good point. considering the Pentax didn't have a cheap 35 to use and compete with. not that I mind Pentax for re-releasing some of Pentax's discontinued lenses especially if there is a demand at those certain focal lengths.
08-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Interesting stuff Pentaxor.

A) this NX 30 looks mighty impressive.

B) perhaps this also goes to show that the FA 35 is really a little overrated by the community. I think it is actually a great little lens, but the current price it sells for is a little much, considering it is not much different in practice (from an IQ standpoint) from the DA 35 2.4.