Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
Inactive Account

xtension Tubes and Newer Pentax Lenses?

I'd like to experiment with extension tubes on my K200D, but I remember reading somewhere that they won't work with newer lenses without an aperture control ring. Is that correct? Also, does putting on an extension tube disable the auto-focus?

Thanks,
Ken

08-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I *think* KAF tubes are available, but they ain't cheap, and they ain't needed -- AF is NOT your friend at macro scales. KA-type tubes *are* available at a more reasonable price; but old KA-type TC's are even cheaper, and function as tubes once the glass is removed. Mine cost an average of US$15 per 25mm-length TC. Any other type of tube *will* disable both AF and AA (aperture automation) and make shooting with flash tricky.

If you don't plan on using flash, and you plan to use lenses without aperture rings, then simple M42 and/or PK bellows and/or tubes are great to have, and pretty damn cheap. If your lens(es) is/are ringless, then you need KA-type tubes or deglassed TC's. Have fun!