Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Vivater lens mount problem

I just got an older Vivitar 28mm lens to put on my ME Super. It looks like a K Mount but I can't get it to seat in the camera (won't drop all the way into the opening). Should I return the lens or is this a common problem with a reasonably simple fix?

Thanks,
Ken

08-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The aperture lever protector is too long on old Vivitars.

Search PentaxForums.com - Pentax Forum, Reviews, and News
08-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The aperture lever protector is too long on old Vivitars.

Search PentaxForums.com - Pentax Forum, Reviews, and News
Either that or it is not K-mount. What is engraved on the mount surface or lens barrel?

Steve
08-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Either that or it is not K-mount. What is engraved on the mount surface or lens barrel?

Steve
The lens barrel says "LENS MADE IN JAPAN 0/0M"

The front of the lens has "MC" and "No. 28174883"

It doesn't have the large aperture cover problem. In fact, there is no aperture lever cover. Other than that it "looks" like a K mount - flanges are same size etc.

Thanks,
Ken

08-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's an Olympus OM Mount. It can be converted but is it worth it to you to do so? Which 28mm Is it and what did you give for it?

If it were a K mount it should fit your ME Super with no problem. On a Pentax DSLR however, Boriscleto is correct. The guard is too large and must be shaved down.

08-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, it's an Oly OM-mount lens, and your problem isn't with the aperture linkage, but with the bayonet flags. The flags on the OM lens are just too thick to fit under a PK-mount's lugs. I have modified several such lenses -- it's pretty easy. I use a Dremel metal-cutting blade to taper the lens flags so they *do* fit under the mount lugs. If you feel like performing minor surgery, I'll dig up my documentation here -- I've posted that a few times.

I don't recommend the surgery if 1) it's a heavy lens, like over 500g, or 2) it's an expensive lens. But a Viv 28 fits neither category, so it's just a matter of: How steady are your hands and your nerve? And yeah, if you paid over US$25 for the lens and it was REPRESENTED as being for Pentax, you should get your money back and find a 28 that already fits. It's not like they're rare or anything. Good luck!