Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2011, 05:32 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
70-150mm Super Takumar Zoom on K-5?

I just got a 70-150mm Super Takumar f/ 4.5 Zoom (M42 screw mount) yesterday, but I cannot get it on to my K-5. The problem is the tripod mount, which when screwing onto the camera, bumps into the prism housing just below where the name "Pentax" is. (See attached photograph.) I'm using a recessed lens adaptor.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what was your solution? Does the tripod mount ring come of the lens? Or is there another solution like using an extension tube? I've never been one for accessories, and new to Pentax, so I'm at sea on this problem.

Cheers,
Stephen

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 20D  Photo 
08-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You could try screwing the lens into the adapter first(off camera) and then mounting it.
08-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
You could try screwing the lens into the adapter first(off camera) and then mounting it.
Quite. Also, on my lenses with tripod rings, the rings can be rotated. I dunno if this is possible with your SuperTak.

Extension... I use a short tube to make a huge Rubinar Makpo 1000/10 mirror lens clear the flash snood, but that's a different kettle of fish. Enough extension on your SuperTak will turn it into a nice macro zoom -- as in, closeups only.

So your only real options AFAIK are to follow kenafein's suggestion, or try to rotate the ring. Good luck!
08-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The ring only goes so far and then it stops as it bumps into the Auto/Manual switch. (Forgot to mention that detail!) I thought putting the ring onto the lens first was not recommended?

Last edited by EssJayEff; 08-16-2011 at 08:43 AM.
08-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Many people here actually remove the clip and keep their adapter on the lens full time (converts it to a k-mount). but the adapter won't lock in place. You wouldn't have to remove the clip to screw it in, but then come to think of it you might have some trouble getting the lens back off. I suggest you buy a cheap adapter (maybe this one unless you bought the pentax original) and remove the clip and leave it on the lens permanently. Buy another adapter to use with any other M42 lenses. The only thing you have to worry about is the lens will only be mounted with friction. It is possible for it to start unscrewing.
08-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #6

I have had the lens with tripod mount on the K20 using an original Pentax m42 adapter. I can still feel the sickening sensation as I realized that unthreading the lens caused the tripod mount to interfere with the flash extension of the camera.
I ended up wedging the gap of the tripod mount, rotating the lens and partially turning an incredible amount of times to release the lens.
The tripod mount does come away from the lens and you could then screw it into the camera with the standard adapter. You are left with a heavy assemblage which might put too much levered weight on the camera mount.
To use the lens in the future I plan to cobble a mounting plate that attaches to the camera's bottom thread mount and support the front portion of the lens with a variable height v-block made of UHMW or teflon.
Perhaps an akward arrangement but it would allow the use of this reportedly high quality Takumar with infinity focus and without the anxiety caused by interefrernce with the camera body.
12-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's a follow-up to this thread that I started a while back. — I tried putting the adaptor on the lens and then lens onto the camera. It went on with some care, but I had a devil of a time getting it off. The second time I tried this method it was ten times harder, and I've got serious scratches under the prism from the last time. So, I pried off the tripod mount, and now I just have to be careful to support the camera *and* lens when handling. Today I order the Pentax-brand adaptor from the Pentax web store. I'll see if that make a difference, but I suspect it won't.

12-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Did you remove the pin from your cheap adapter first? The Pentax adapter isnt going to be any better I think. You won't be able to hit the release.
12-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not sure . . . I bought it used from a camera store that used to sell Pentax. First time I've used an adaptor for retro fitting lenses, so I used it "as is" as shown by the knowledgeable shop owner.
12-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If you remove the pin, out of the cheap adapter, and put it on the lens, you should be able to screw the lens in with a quarter turn like a bayonet lens. You should also be able to remove it with another quarter turn. Hopefully that will prevent any rubbing.