Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
circular polarizer

hi,
i have three questions about circular polarizers, first and second are the general ones. i want to buy a thin circular polarizer to use it with all my lenses.
1)is it ok to use thin CPs except wide angles, i mean using it with normal and telephoto lenses, too???
2)is it ok to buy 77 mm and use it with all my pentax lenses???

3. one is about choosing a thin CP... i want to buy Nikon cp 2 thin (134$), but still thinking of B+W's CPs. they are thin multi-coated one (161$) and kaesemann.(174$)
i want to buy nikon one because all reviews say that it is an excellent filter and it is cheaper and it has front thread and it is easier to put a cap on it than B+W's. but i am not sure that nikon has a scratch resistance on its lenses like B+W...

cheers
halil

11-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #2

I've owned two of the Nikon 77mm CPL's over the years and found them to be excellent. I've also owned a B&W F-Pro 77mm CPL and a Hoya Pro-1 77mm CPL at different times. All are fine. My personal opinion at this point is that while the B&W and Heliopan are nice, they are also heavy. Brass rings and Schott glass is heavy. The Hoya Pro-1 is in aluminum, but to me the Nikon seems like a better buy.

That said, I was using the Nikon on a Nikon camera with Nikon Glass. I honestly don't know if there are differences in the coatings between Pentax and Nikon that could cause problems, but I doubt it.

For the money, the Nikon is a nice choice and it comes with a nice carry case too.
11-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
hll

Original Poster
thank you txbonds! it was what i would like to hear
what about my first and second question?
11-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Not Registered

Hi Halil, you might want to take a look at this web pagehvStar.com >>>Photo, Digital, Video Game ON SALE (MaxSaver; BestEastern; hkDirect; hvPhoto). I dont know if they ship to Turkey, but you cannot beat the prices.

Hope it helps.

11-27-2007, 02:13 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by hll Quote
thank you txbonds! it was what i would like to hear
what about my first and second question?
Sure, you can use a thin circ pol on a normal or tele lens. No problems. On those lenses, you don't really have to worry about vignetting.

Regarding 77mm, that is what most people do that have a mixture of lenses. Buy the largest size filter needed, then use step up/down rings to fit to other lenses.
11-27-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
hll

Original Poster
hi Javi, the prices are so good at the link you gave. thank you very much...
txbonds, thanks
halil
11-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hll Quote
2)is it ok to buy 77 mm and use it with all my pentax lenses???
halil
Halil

As mentioned in txbond's post, it is a normal practice to use step-up rings to match a large filter to smaller lens threads. One downside is that you usually can't use the original lens hood.

A solution is to get a generic 77mm rubber multihood and just make sure that the hood is adjusted to avoid vignetting.

dave
11-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #8
hll

Original Poster
thank you dave

i think i won't need a rubber hood if i buy nikon's polarizer thanks to its front thread (screw)

halil