Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Yes. I thought I was inmune to LBA and I was in denial. I had an intervention done yesterday and am on my way to recovery. At one point I thought AF was better until I found Taks. I already started getting rid staff. I did get the Porst 50mm f1.2 though. I could not afford the Pentax A* 55mm f1.2, but the Porst in German engineering (actually, it is Japanese engineering) and is a good thing. That was the last, the one that prompted the intervention from the wife, children, grand-children, neighbors, banks, etc.

Last edited by Pepe Guitarra; 08-18-2011 at 10:53 AM.
08-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This was my early reasoning: Instead of buying a Martin guitar for $15K, or a golf bag with clubs for $5K, I can spend $2K on a great K5 plus some lenses. Well, Taks are so unexpensive that I chose taht route. I will sell everything else and keep the Taks. Period, I will do it, I will do it, I will do it, I will do it.
08-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
Well, Taks are so unexpensive that I chose taht route. I will sell everything else and keep the Taks. Period, I will do it, I will do it, I will do it, I will do it.
Just leave some for the rest of us, OK?
08-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Shouldn't Taks users have a convention live like the ones Star Trek does? We could exchange lenses.

08-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #35
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Hate to burst your bubble but it only comes in sigma canon nikon mounts
That's close enough for the subject of this thread
08-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I am still puzzled about the prices of Leica M stuff. I guess it is largely the aura of being "the best" and the law of diminishing returns. I am quite sure most of the M stuff is top notch but it's certainly not as much better as its price tag seems to imply.

In any case I've seen people produce absolutely stunning images with fairly standard equipment. In the the end it comes down to talent and dedication rather than gadgetry, I think.
08-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
At the end of the day, its legal to dream.

Here's a question: How is the Leica-R 90mm/f2 (not the new Apo) lens compared to the Pentax 100mm/f2.8?

Any thoughts??
Sumicron-R 90mm is a nice lens with lovely Leica colours and good bokeh. For the price (if you can have it for ~$500) it's a great lens. I would prefer the 100/2.8 macro because it will have a great creamy bokeh and the possibility of very close focus.

Maybe the Leica 60/2.8 is a better choice as an entry into Leica lenses? It's also pretty cheap but on the K20 AE was not really reliable for some reason.

08-19-2011, 01:16 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
Is it legal to pay this much for such a lens? Does Pentax have one like this?

Leica Noctilux 50mm F/1.0 M* M9 M8 M7 M6 MINT! NR! .99 | eBay

legal yes, but completely insane
08-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #39
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
I am still puzzled about the prices of Leica M stuff. I guess it is largely the aura of being "the best" and the law of diminishing returns. I am quite sure most of the M stuff is top notch but it's certainly not as much better as its price tag seems to imply.
You're paying for the production cost as well, which is higher because each lens is individually tested for sharpness. I've also seen claims that Leica lenses are designed to be sharp wide open - not sure how much that is the case without seeing reviews with MTF curves, but it would provide an additional justification for higher prices.

Are these things worth the additional cost? Given that Leicas have a niche market, the answer of the majority is clearly no. But given that Leicas do have a niche market, it seems that there are enough people for which the answer is yes.

The following article may help put things in perspective - it shows how well a Leica M9 does next to medium format cameras: 2010 Mini Medium Format Shoot-out. It doesn't even look that expensive in such comparison.

QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
In any case I've seen people produce absolutely stunning images with fairly standard equipment. In the the end it comes down to talent and dedication rather than gadgetry, I think.
Of course, you can take great images with cameras you built yourself like Miroslav Tichy did, but this does not mean that making higher end equipment becomes irrelevant.
08-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #40
Veteran Member

What about this one linked from the same ebay page

*Rare* Leica Noctilux-M 50mm F/1.2 Aspherical 50/F1.2

US $18,999.00

cheers

Neil
08-30-2011, 08:05 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Well, leica lenses do work on most women ... a true see-through revelation if you catch my drift

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
That price is INSANE. For that price I would expect the lense to be able to shoot through walls.