Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
additional info, quick test and observations regarding the two lenses. I have observed that the two lenses are different in size. the FA35 is slightly more than twice the size of the NX30 and also has an additional element which may suggest that the optical formula of either lens are not identical or would suggest have different optical construct.

I did a quick test on the two lenses for other factors. both lenses seems to handle flare very well, although I feel the NX30 handled it slightly better. when it comes to CA, I tried shooting with both lenses on different angles on a reflective surface to look for CA traces. so far the two lenses handled CA greatly. however, on certain angles and focus, the FA35 exhibit some very minimal/minor CA while I have yet to detect CA on the NX30 which I haven't seen on the images. I think it would be unfair if I would say that CA is completely absent on the NX30, but just to be modest, I'll just say that CA on the NX30 is instead extremely negligible or non-factor.

I also did a quick read on the review done by photozone concerning the two lenses and if I were to say this, I would take their word for it. the test and review they conducted on the two lenses pretty much reflect my experience with the two lenses. the MTF numbers by either pretty much reflects the difference between them. so if anybody wants to look for a review of either lens, the photozone review on the two lenses are good and accurate references.

08-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So with the mirror-less system, is the camera dead quiet?
08-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
So with the mirror-less system, is the camera dead quiet?
what do you mean?
08-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
take note that the FA35 image here is downsized to match the exact NX30 image size.
So we're not really comparing just optical performance but also the results of a scaling down algorithm.

If we want to draw conclusions on the optical performance of these lenses, either of the following two options is preferrable to a method that involves digital alteration:

- compare 100% crops even if FOV is slightly different
- adjust shooting distance so that the FOV ends up being the same

08-19-2011, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
So we're not really comparing just optical performance but also the results of a scaling down algorithm.

If we want to draw conclusions on the optical performance of these lenses, either of the following two options is preferrable to a method that involves digital alteration:

- compare 100% crops even if FOV is slightly different
- adjust shooting distance so that the FOV ends up being the same
actually they were also considered in the whole 3 part series of this thread. cite image #1 full image at their respective FOV. image #2 and #3 a down-scaled version of the FA35 (100% crops on the NX30) and image #4 an up-scaled version of the NX30 (100% crops on the FA35) for matching purposes.

the reason behind why such images were adjusted at such similar crop resolution was inorder to give a fair comparison between images from both lenses. besides, the results would still have the same results no matter where you put it,whether you adjust the shooting distance for similar FOV which has already been covered and crops at their original resolution value which would make the FA35 look pathetic unless you sharpen and add more contrast to the FA35 during post-processing.

the point is, it depends on us whether we accept or reject what we actually see in these results. we can draw our own individual conclusion as well if we choose to, otherwise they could do their own testing if one believes that this is all an illusion. besides, I would be lying to myself and to other people if I don't give a well-deserved credit for the NX30's real performance. if there are still any doubts, I believe a quick trip to a camera store for a quick test on the NX30 would satisfy one's curiosity or a simple validation. as far as I can tell, there hasn't been any complaints regarding the lens but rather testimonies of how good it is. I had my doubts initially, but certainly I don't have one valid excuse to doubt it now. for myself, I'm just an extremely satisfied owner with no bias.
08-20-2011, 03:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

the point is, it depends on us whether we accept or reject what we actually see in these results.
My point is that there are many variables at play in such a test and adding one more about scaling the images up or down certainly doesn't make the evaluation any simpler.
08-20-2011, 05:56 AM   #22

Just bought a NX100 with 20-50 lens and I'm very pleased initially

NX 30 on it's way, looking forward to that
08-20-2011, 06:45 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My point is that there are many variables at play in such a test and adding one more about scaling the images up or down certainly doesn't make the evaluation any simpler.
may I ask exactly what other variables there are that hasn't been mentioned or atleast given a consideration which could had affected the outcome of the results?

08-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

what do you mean?
How quiet is the camera overall? I assume it's not K-r noisy since there is no shutter. How is the focus noise? Is it K-7 quiet there? I would like to have a stealthy camera for certain situations.
08-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #25

It does have a shutter ! (curtain) It's not true P&S
08-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
How quiet is the camera overall? I assume it's not K-r noisy since there is no shutter. How is the focus noise? Is it K-7 quiet there? I would like to have a stealthy camera for certain situations.
the shutter sound is more like K-7 like with less vibration due to absence of the mirror flapping. to be honest they are pretty close with just a slight lesser sound advantage on the K-7 when pressing the shutter button. the major difference however is in terms of focus noise which include both focus confirmation and AF motor is virtually silent on the NX camera compared to the K-7 which has a noisy high-pitch screwdrive motor and focus beep.
08-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #27
Veteran Member

may I ask exactly what other variables there are that hasn't been mentioned or atleast given a consideration which could had affected the outcome of the results?
I'm not saying you didn't consider these variables, just that I don't see them being eliminated - that would require posting more information about how you set up your test. They are:

1. Lens defects - are both lenses representative for their line or are they outliers?
2. Focusing - what focusing method was used, did you use more than one method or just the same method multiple times? I.e. - did you use an OVF/EVF or did you use a live view magnification type of feature when manually focusing?
3. Stabilization - how was the shutter depressed? Was the camera handheld or on a tripod? Did you use mirror-up/2sec timer? A remote shutter release?

There might be other points, but these are some of the things I always wonder about when I look at lens tests.

Cheers!
08-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not saying you didn't consider these variables, just that I don't see them being eliminated - that would require posting more information about how you set up your test. They are:

1. Lens defects - are both lenses representative for their line or are they outliers?
2. Focusing - what focusing method was used, did you use more than one method or just the same method multiple times? I.e. - did you use an OVF/EVF or did you use a live view magnification type of feature when manually focusing?
3. Stabilization - how was the shutter depressed? Was the camera handheld or on a tripod? Did you use mirror-up/2sec timer? A remote shutter release?

There might be other points, but these are some of the things I always wonder about when I look at lens tests.

Cheers!
I understand your inquiry regarding the test method. rest assured that the things that you mentioned including the recent 3 parameters were considered, mentioned/discussed and done in detail in the 3 part series of threads and not simply done merely a one time point and shoot session. it was done extensively so that any flaws or test errors would be minimized to a non-significance and would reflect atleast the true outcome or validity of the comparison. as to why I did a series of tests and re-tests and give some possible factors of why one lens perform as such over the other is because I myself was skeptic of the initial results and also wanted to be certain that such results are consistent. the truth is, it is difficult to acknowledge such a test especially if there aren't that many info or testimony coming from other people who had actually have experience with the lenses. of course, non-owners skepticism is valid and would want to know more about such test conducted. so what I can share is my experience as owner of the two lenses. one may choose to believe or remain skeptic. also my personal test is pretty much a done deal and I can't find any valid reason or condition of further test that would change the outcome unless I'm there to get the actual MTF numbers.

I also encourage anyone to do their own test which may support or refute the results. but since we haven't seen some of those yet, this is pretty much the only info we got.
08-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #29
Veteran Member

of course, non-owners skepticism is valid and would want to know more about such test conducted. so what I can share is my experience as owner of the two lenses. one may choose to believe or remain skeptic. also my personal test is pretty much a done deal and I can't find any valid reason or condition of further test that would change the outcome unless I'm there to get the actual MTF numbers.
I understand and I don't expect you to do any other testing work - I just would like to see the FA output before being downsized, if possible. Just curious.

PS: Including links to the previous threads in this thread would be helpful - somehow I missed the previous discussions. I know I can look them up, but links would make that much easier.
08-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I understand and I don't expect you to do any other testing work - I just would like to see the FA output before being downsized, if possible. Just curious.

PS: Including links to the previous threads in this thread would be helpful - somehow I missed the previous discussions. I know I can look them up, but links would make that much easier.
actually you can compare image #3 and #4. the NX30 image #3 is 100% crop and the FA35 image #4 is 100% crops.

as far as the other threads are concerned, here they are >>>

take note of the conditions, factors and final thoughts that I mentioned. as they could possibly influenced the outcome of the initial tests. to be honest, I prefer this final test over the previous two as the best reference. I would advice that you read the final test as well as it would include some justification and possible explanation or causes for such differences with the other tests conducted. also, a word of caution. the 2 other previous tests made the FA35 look poor.

first test session
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/155276-fa35-ve...omparison.html

second test session
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/155518-fa35-vs...part-deux.html