Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2011, 06:36 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I've followed Pentaxor's three threads. I also read MightyMike's thread on DPR that attempted to equalize normal lens MTF performance using Lenstip test results. The FA 35mm is a fine lens, there's no doubt about it. I have to conclude that the Samsung 30mm is a finer lens. Unfortunately, it won't fit on a Pentax camera and I have no interest in a Samsung camera, so the NX30 performance is not terribly significant to me.
maybe we can ask Pentax to do something about it?

to be honest, it is quite disappointing why Pentax could only come up with a DAL35 instead of this one.

08-23-2011, 07:02 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
just imagine if such 30mm lens existed for Pentax as a cheap alternative instead of the DAL35. I'm sure no one would even discuss about profile application now, would we?
I'm didn't say the NX30 was not a good lens. It clearly is an excellent one. And I know that Samsung has enough know-how to build such lenses (their 24-72mm eq. f/1.8-2.4 on the EX1 is just fantastic).

My concerns were more about the bad showing of the FA35 in comparison. I think it was not fair and I'm pretty sure it's more a matter of software applied profile (sharpening, contrast, etc) than really a matter of optical performance.
08-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #48
Veteran Member

to be honest, it is quite disappointing why Pentax could only come up with a DAL35 instead of this one.
Even more so when ALL the competitors choose f/1.8 for their 35mm. I know it's small, it's cute, etc. but anyway, a 30mm pancake f/2.0 would have been a so much better proposition IMHO. It's ironic that a "non-camera-company" like Samsung seems to understand that better than Pentax.
08-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #49
Veteran Member

I agree that the NX 30mm is a very attractive lens, and the price to performance ratio appears to be outstanding. I agree that there appears to be some processing going on under the hood though.

Samsung started from scratch when building its own mount, and seems to have chosen a good register distance to be able to create small, fast APS-C lenses like no other company. (Panasonic has a great 20/1.7, but it only has to cover the FT image; Sony has some big lenses coming out for its tiny NEX line).

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Even more so when ALL the competitors choose f/1.8 for their 35mm. I know it's small, it's cute, etc. but anyway, a 30mm pancake f/2.0 would have been a so much better proposition IMHO. It's ironic that a "non-camera-company" like Samsung seems to understand that better than Pentax.
Since the register distance of the Pentax is about 20mm longer, a 30/2 pancake might be impossible, but the DA L 35/2.4 covers full frame (perhaps needlessly), so they obviously could've made a smaller lens with these specs.

I guess the R&D money wasn't there--maybe Ricoh will look into that

08-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
(their 24-72mm eq. f/1.8-2.4 on the EX1 is just fantastic).
mind if I ask how that one performs since I haven't tried that one yet? if I'm not mistaken the DOF equivalent would be more like f3.5 to f5.6? but anyways, that is great for a PS camera with such focal length coverage.

QuoteQuote:
My concerns were more about the bad showing of the FA35 in comparison. I think it was not fair and I'm pretty sure it's more a matter of software applied profile (sharpening, contrast, etc) than really a matter of optical performance.
you are not alone on this one but I'm more inclined on Samsung to be given some more credit either way, whether it is profile application or better optical resolution for enhancement. IMO, the NX30 just looks really great that it made an already great lens like the FA35 look vulnerable. whether you have to fault Pentax on this one or not doesn't seem that important. besides, the FA35 is more than a decade old. and it would be illogical if the optics hasn't really progressed that much eversince or has gone backwards. inventions and reinventions nowadays is much more faster than it was.
08-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #51
Veteran Member

mind if I ask how that one performs since I haven't tried that one yet? if I'm not mistaken the DOF equivalent would be more like f3.5 to f5.6? but anyways, that is great for a PS camera with such focal length coverage.
Yes DOF is not as shallow as a big sensor but it comes very close to a DSLR fitted with a standard kit lens. The lens is sharp at all apertures corner to corner. Flare resistance is not that good with the sun in the frame. It has 7 blades, very unusual for a P&S, they almost all use only 6. It's excellent for what it is. But I will probably sell the camera, shooting with a LCD only in sunlight is not that fun and it's still a P&S: relatively slow (but accurate) AF, poor battery life, slow shot-to-shot (but OK for my style). Poor customization. Weird UI decisions. And it's not really pocketable because of the protruding lens. And while it's sharp, the small sensor cannot render the same richness of colors and tonality as a bigger sensor.
08-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I calculate about f/5.4-7.1 compared to a 1.5X crop sensor (f1.8-2.4 x 28.3/9.5).
08-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes DOF is not as shallow as a big sensor but it comes very close to a DSLR fitted with a standard kit lens. The lens is sharp at all apertures corner to corner. Flare resistance is not that good with the sun in the frame. It has 7 blades, very unusual for a P&S, they almost all use only 6. It's excellent for what it is. But I will probably sell the camera, shooting with a LCD only in sunlight is not that fun and it's still a P&S: relatively slow (but accurate) AF, poor battery life, slow shot-to-shot (but OK for my style). Poor customization. Weird UI decisions. And it's not really pocketable because of the protruding lens. And while it's sharp, the small sensor cannot render the same richness of colors and tonality as a bigger sensor.
I see. thanks for that info.

08-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I calculate about f/5.4-7.1 compared to a 1.5X crop sensor (f1.8-2.4 x 28.3/9.5).
this is for 1/1.7 sensor size calculation, correct?
08-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #55
Pentaxian

this is for 1/1.7 sensor size calculation, correct?
Yes, a 1/1.7" sensor is 9.50mm diagonal vs about 28.3mm for APS-C.
Image sensor format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-23-2011 at 07:15 PM.
08-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, a 1/1.7" sensor is 9.50mm diagonal vs about 28.3mm for APS-C.
Image sensor format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
that's about 3 stops I would believe. which makes sense considering ff = 1.0, APS-H=1.3, APS-C=1.5 or 1.6, and 4/3=2.
08-24-2011, 04:06 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

But Pentax has chosen to make their lenses smaller, rather than have a little extra speed. I wish they would have been willing to make the DA limiteds a little faster. If the DA 40 was f2, it would have been a little bigger, but not that big. Same with the DA 70. Currently, the only lenses in the line up faster than f1.8 are the DA *55 and the venerable FA 50.
08-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #58
Veteran Member

So there is no adapter that maintains the autofocus and auto aperture functions for the NX?
08-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
So there is no adapter that maintains the autofocus and auto aperture functions for the NX?
No and it's a disappointment from Samsung. As Sony showed today it is possible to make an adapter to support all these functions. But it's not cheap (around 400$ I believe for the Sony) and not compact. That said, it's easier for Sony, their E mount is based on Alpha. In the case of Samsung, their mount is totally different from the K mount.
08-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No and it's a disappointment from Samsung. As Sony showed today it is possible to make an adapter to support all these functions. But it's not cheap (around 400$ I believe for the Sony) and not compact. That said, it's easier for Sony, their E mount is based on Alpha. In the case of Samsung, their mount is totally different from the K mount.
this could be Samsung's own business model. if they are going to build and sell their own lens roadmap, it would be illogical for them to include an other lenses. own product means own profit. of course they had to make sure the the product is that good inorder to generate significant sales. having to look at their lens roadmap, they seem to planning on building their own version of similar existing Pentax lens focal length. they already did that with the 16mm, 20mm, 30mm as well as the standard kit zoom lenses. also they are planning to do their own version of the DA* zooms, DA12-24, fast 50, and FA31 which is in the form of a 35/1.4 and 30/2. although the 30mm focal length is definitely perfect for overall/general use. I also think that they had paid attention on the existing market for a fast 85mm by making one and a 135/f2. so why would they need to adapt some lenses that they would be making and providing in the future? I think people would prefer a silent voice coil motor over the screwdrive.