Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FA35 Vs NX30 comparison Final

this is the final comparative test result that I have done with the FA35 and NX30 lens.

the interesting note about this last test is that I used one camera system for both lenses and see how would they perform on equal terms. the test was conducted using the NX100 at F2, ISO100 with shutterspeed around 1/160 or 1/200 set on a tripod. 2-sec timed shutter manually focused shot with multiple number of images at certain focus adjustments in order to get the best possible focused image from both lenses. distance shooting was done at MFD.

1st Image full-view comparison for bokeh, color, FOV, perceived sharpness.

FA35

NX30

personal evaluation: Bokeh are pretty much identical except that the FA35 has a slight narrowness in the DOF. both bokeh are pleasing for me personally and liked it. colors are both vibrant and appealing with the NX30 displaying a much better colour accuracy and rendering especially the magenta variation. the FOV difference is obvious and which is further magnified by the mount adapter length. both lens are sharp but the NX30 appear sharper in this respect.

center crops from the 1st image. difference in sharpness, contrast, detail

FA35

NX30

take note that the FA35 image here is downsized to match the exact NX30 image size. here we noticed the the NX30 display a bit more contrast, sharpness and detail elaboration.

2nd Image comparison. center crops. sharpness, detail and contrast assessment

FA35

NX30

same result

3rd Image comparison. center crops. sharpness, detail and contrast assessment

FA35

NX30

same result

now let's add some twist to see a more elaborate difference:

4th Image comparison. same parameter test except that the NX30 image is up-sized to match the FA35 image size.

FA35

NX30

even if the roles were reversed, the NX30 still display a much elaborate clearer and sharper image than the FA35 at it's normal resolution.

5th Image comparison. same parameter testing. this time, the contrast and sharpness value are set to "0".

FA35

NX30

this pretty much concludes everything.

final thoughts, the FA35 images seems much more respectably sharp apparently this time when used on the same camera system rather than on a different system for comparison, which we may think or conclude that has to do with the NX system having a more updated/better sensor or a different camera rendering of the parameters. however, upon comparing both images coming from both lenses now on one system, would now suggest the difference in performance between the two lenses and not just because of the camera system used. the difference are noticeable and clearly shows the advantage of one lens over the other. it could be that the coating, optical formula of the NX30 lens further enhanced it's performance over the FA35.

I didn't bother to show the images at midrange and infinity this time since the results are pretty much the same as before. as to the performance of the two lenses at similar other apertures, particularly at their strongest opening at F4, the NX30 is pretty much a marvel and the FA35 is pretty good as well (in the past, I would had said outstanding performance for the FA35).

Last edited by Pentaxor; 08-17-2011 at 08:22 PM.
08-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for the comparo, that NX30 lens looks incredible..... <opens ebay in another tab to price up body & 30mm lens>
08-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow. Wonder if it's possible that the K adapter is degrading the IQ of the FA 35 in any way, even slightly?

That NX100 does look pretty sweet...
08-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, there you go. That NX30 is definitely a great performer. Sorry about the FA 35/2

Steve

08-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Wow. Wonder if it's possible that the K adapter is degrading the IQ of the FA 35 in any way, even slightly?
hey there Jay, I doubt it since the adapter has no optical correction.

QuoteQuote:
That NX100 does look pretty sweet...
you just meant the camera? not the lens? but with regards to the camera alone, it does look sweet.
08-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Thanks for your great efforts! But we can't use NX30 on Pentax cameras, right? (maybe it can but I don't know)

So, it's a excellent result for mirrorless cameras not DSLR using.

p.s.Next project I'm looking for is comparison between NX30 and FA 31mm!!!
08-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, there you go. That NX30 is definitely a great performer. Sorry about the FA 35/2

Steve
nothing to feel sorry about Steve. as long as you don't compare the FA35 with the NX30, it is still a great performer compared with some of the other known lenses. if not, you can always set the sharpness and contrast higher on the FA35 during post-processing inorder to look like an NX30. like I said, the NX30 rendering is just a bonus. what I'm really after is an affordable fine lens wider than the 35mm, which I found on another mount.

08-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Can you clarrify how K-mount lenses function on the NX100 with the k-mount adapter with regard to metering, aperture control, auto focus. Is it same as M lenses on PEntax DSLRs?
08-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zany225 Quote
Thanks for your great efforts! But we can't use NX30 on Pentax cameras, right? (maybe it can but I don't know)
So, it's a excellent result for mirrorless cameras not DSLR using.

thanks. my curiosity go the best of me when I used the NX30. I immediately saw a difference with the images on the NX30, so I tried it out just to verify my feelings if it does indeed sharper. I got more than what I asked for I think. unfortunately we can't use the lens on the Pentax.but considering how the FA35 performed similarly on both Pentax and NX cameras, I believe the same rendering would apply on the NX30.

QuoteQuote:
p.s.Next project I'm looking for is comparison between NX30 and FA 31mm!!!
LOL, when I will rent the FA31 again, I'll try to remember that before I return it.
although, having said that, do I still need to rent the FA31?
08-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
thanks. my curiosity go the best of me when I used the NX30. I immediately saw a difference with the images on the NX30, so I tried it out just to verify my feelings if it does indeed sharper. I got more than what I asked for I think. unfortunately we can't use the lens on the Pentax.but considering how the FA35 performed similarly on both Pentax and NX cameras, I believe the same rendering would apply on the NX30.

LOL, when I will rent the FA31 again, I'll try to remember that before I return it.
although, having said that, do I still need to rent the FA31?
Of course! You need it, lol
Then our members might have real upset !?!? Or, feel relieved..... :ugh:
08-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zany225 Quote
Of course! You need it, lol
Then our members might have real upset !?!? Or, feel relieved..... :ugh:
maybe I'll just leave it for your imagination and make some sort of an endless debate of this lens is better than that lens.

for what it's worth, I'm already relieved got a nice wider lens. that was my real intention.
08-17-2011, 05:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

No surprise here. I've tried the NX30 and found it to be excellent performer, almost on par with 31Ltd (but I prefer the color rendition of Ltd).
Those nice NX lenses are perfect and easily beat pentax counterparts: I would take NX30 over 40Ltd, the NX20 blows the 21Ltd away easily, and I'm waiting for NX16 to compare with 15Ltd, but I have no doubt it will be overall better lens.

I will wait for NX20 in order to decide if I really need pentax APS-C solutions.
08-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
No surprise here. I've tried the NX30 and found it to be excellent performer, almost on par with 31Ltd (but I prefer the color rendition of Ltd).
Those nice NX lenses are perfect and easily beat pentax counterparts: I would take NX30 over 40Ltd, the NX20 blows the 21Ltd away easily, and I'm waiting for NX16 to compare with 15Ltd, but I have no doubt it will be overall better lens.

I will wait for NX20 in order to decide if I really need pentax APS-C solutions.
well, it is certainly something to consider. I'd say I have far more success rate with the NX's AF system compared to Pentax's AF. there are some lens that I would keep for Pentax and some to get rid off once I have decided on the lens line-up for the NX.
08-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

This NX100 looks pretty sweet, but is it basically the K-7's sensor? The K-7 is great, but it's not a K-5. How does it handle high ISO? This camera is amazingly cheap right now and it's tempting even though I have cameras coming out my ears. You can buy the camera, flash, 30mm and 20mm for what you'd pay for one 31mm limited.
08-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
This NX100 looks pretty sweet, but is it basically the K-7's sensor?
I think it is a cross between the K20D and K-7. the K20D has a much better rendering than the K-7 and handles noise better but the K20D can't do video. I guess Samsung pretty much solved that dilemma and somehow found a compromise to get both pros.

QuoteQuote:
The K-7 is great, but it's not a K-5. How does it handle high ISO?
I think it pretty much handles the High ISO the same way the K20D does. it is pretty much a luxury to use from ISO 100 to ISO 800, if you want top quality images. ISO 1600 is still pretty good with noise, at 3200 it is just fair and could need some NR application. ISO 6400 is abysmal without NR help, but can be salvageable although not top quality.

QuoteQuote:
This camera is amazingly cheap right now and it's tempting even though I have cameras coming out my ears. You can buy the camera, flash, 30mm and 20mm for what you'd pay for one 31mm limited.
well, it comes with the 20-50 or 18-55 and flash as a package. so that's pretty much 3 lenses, a camera and a flash. I agree that you can form a complete new camera system with a flash and 4 lenses to cover all focal lengths at the price you pay for a new FA31.