Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2011, 04:34 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
lens damaged by post?

Hi all,

Just a quick question, have been buying lenses since i got the k-r trying them out, most of the lens are delivered by post and are ok.

Recently, 2 lens I bought made some kind of issue when i receive them, both are described "Excellent Condition" by the seller. Both are packed nicely with lots of old newspapers and padding.

First lens, made some kind of noise when i shake it, i found out that the rear lens element is loose and i managed to fix that by slowly turning it around and screwing it back. works ok now then although it still makes some noise sometimes when i shake it. image quality is nice, auto focus works, it's a prime lens no zoom ring and i am quite happy with it. (not too sure if too much vibration during transit can cause it to come loose???)

2nd lens, has a broken apeture ring.

Picture here:

I looked at the pictures the seller posted on ebay, nothing seems to be broken. The seller claim it was damaged on transit (via post) and readily offered a refund after i ship it back.

i'm not too happy about it but I cannot live with a broken lens! (Reason: i paid for the lens and shipping and now i need to pay extra to ship it back to get a refund?)
so now the lens is on the way back for a refund.

So just wondering if any one has any experiences on this? does transit by post really damage the lens? esp aperture ring! or the seller trying to pass faulty goods as excellent condition?

your comments please! thanks.

08-17-2011, 05:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

I've never had any bought or sold lens damaged by shipping, but it's easy to imagine it could happen. If the photos don't show the defect, it probably wasn't there, unless the picture is modified it would be hard to hide such a crack.

Having to pay for return shipping sucks but it's the risk you're taking when buying on the web, sadly. The seller seems honest since he offered to refund the lens to you (unless the shipping charges were bloated and the lens ridiculously cheap, of course.
08-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, if you're not able to prove that the lens you received is not the one advertised, (some sellers show photo of front or body of lens, with serial nr on it), I would say you haven't got much of a chance to prove that it was not damaged during transit, and that is usually why I pay for transit insurance from the place I buy.
If the aperture ring is still working, it should not be difficult to fix it with some adhesive.
EDIT: While you decide what to do, place a rubber band tightly around the ring, and test it, if it still functions as normal, the small ball bearing inside is still there. If you decide to fix it yourself more permanently, just make sure you keep it tight together all the time, to prevent the bearing from slipping out.

Last edited by altopiet; 08-17-2011 at 06:03 AM.
08-17-2011, 05:56 AM   #4
Banned

I rescently bought and sold some lenses, but did this always with barcode-mail with insurance,

08-17-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxuser888 Quote
Hi all,

does transit by post really damage the lens? esp aperture ring!
Items get damaged in the mail every day. However, it seems unlikely it was the cause in your case if it was well-packed as you say. The ring is a recessed area and there seems to be no other marks.
08-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had never experienced any lenses getting damaged in the Post.
I live in Australia and did purchase from US , Canada , Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong , China , UK , Ireland , New Zealand and obviously from Australia.
But, I did get lot of junk ( some unusable) sold as in perfect conditions, that was all on eBay.
that's why I did join this group and I am trying to find all lenses I need here.
At least, I hope, all members know what they are selling.
With eBay it is completely different matter, 80% of people they just know nothing about lenses.
Some sellers , after I sent the detailed photos of problems, would apologise and ask me to place all junk into the bin and usually refund the whole purchase + 100 or 50% of postage ( I am happy with that, do not have to pack it and send back), those are usually individuals who own the gear.
the biggest problem is with resellers or estate dealers, they still know nothing about lenses but they insist on getting all gear back and refund is for just purchased price or with one way postage.
so I am pretty off eBay by now and I still have big box full with lenses/film camera bodies which are usable but not very good, I just hate throwing things away.
few months ago purchased from UK Tamron Adaptall2 46A with P/KA adaptor ( that what I was actually after but the guy insisted on sending it with the lens) , paid the fortune for airmail to Australia and ....the lens is usable, glass clear but huge amount of dust inside, very loose ( rattles) and has deep scratches all over external surface ( not resell-able )and P/KA very intermittent and scratched. The guy offered full refund but after I send it all back to UK, which I learned would be least AU$60 ( with some kind of tracking number ) so the lens will be placed in the bin ( or donated to a friend, a school, do not know yet) and the P/KA adaptor, after hours of cleaning and reassembling it started working but with light lenses only.
with heavier lenses easily disengages from AE setting.
So there you have it, all part of the game, as long as you look at everything with a bit of smile could be enjoyable but when you start to become too serious about everything it is time to stop this game.
08-17-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I agree with SpecialK, if it was packaged the way you described, it shouldn't just break like that, but proving it did not happen might not be so easy.
i also agree with i_trax, it is a game where sometimes you'll loose some but hopefully not to often, but if you strike it lucky and get a gem for a very good price, one forget the losses quickly

08-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, but I don't think that lens was damaged in the mail. Without any other marks around the crack, it would be VERY unlikely that something happened in the post. What is more likely is someone didn't know what that red button was for and tried to turn the aperture ring and "snap"...oooops. It probably happened after the picture was taken.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 08-17-2011 at 07:57 AM.
08-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I agree; that damage is likely NOT due to shipping. Whether broken in transit or not, the lenses are not as represented. You say you're happy with the one, and that the seller offered a refund on the broken one. Excellent! Return it, keep that seller on your 'favourites' list, and continue looking for good cheap lenses.
08-19-2011, 05:37 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for your replies..

there's nothing much i can do, i returned the lens, hopefully the seller will give me a refund. meanwhile i have lodged a dispute with paypal.

heres' a picture of the advertised lens

It had a white mark near the "A" while the lens i got does not have this white mark

I suspect the lens I got is not what that was advertised.

I have also noticed some photographs on ebay are recycled by certain sellers too. I'll definitely add them to my "favourites"..
08-19-2011, 05:40 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
. What is more likely is someone didn't know what that red button was for and tried to turn the aperture ring and "snap"...oooops. It probably happened after the picture was taken.
this is very possible!!
08-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxuser888 Quote
It had a white mark near the "A" while the lens i got does not have this white mark

I suspect the lens I got is not what that was advertised.
I think you're right, the picture they used in the auction probably isn't a picture of the lens they sent you. The lens in the auction picture has more wear around the window on the barrel for instance.
08-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

+1, looking at both pictures, I don't think it's the same lens.
08-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
only the seller will know the real answer, it's just bad luck for me