Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #1

Best lens for landscape considering colour rendition

I know that there are already many threads about the "best landscape lens". But I can't manage to find the information I look for.

Here is my problem :
I use the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 when I shoot in the Alpen (great sceneries by the way), mostly between 14 and 20 with a Marumi slim Pola filter and I am not really satisfied by what I can obtain...
I see to much color changes in the sky (see example below) and it seems like the colors are not like "in real", in the example the green is not as green as I saw it.

Sorry if it is not clear but it's kind of hard to explain.

So I am considering to change this Sigma for something with better colour rendition.

I am open to every suggestion with less than 20mm at the wide end and I am not against primes

If you also have some examples of nice colour rendition please share !!!

PS I know, my sensor needs to be cleaned

08-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sigma 10-20 gives a kind of reddish cast--but have you tried to modify colors in PP?
The DA 15mm has wonderful color rendition.
08-17-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I haven't used the Sigma and so can't discuss it. I do use the Tamron 10-24 and Zenitar 16/2.8 and am satisfied with their colour renditions. But I know that what I WANT to see, what I THINK I see, what the CAMERA sees, and what is REALLY there (if anything), are not the same.

I was at first surprised that the colours I recorded with various lenses were much more (or less) saturated than what I thought I saw, or contained much more blue or other tones. Much of this comes from the White Balance not matching the ambient light -- for instance, clear blue skies impose a blue colour cast on the sensor that my visual system filters out. Or looking at desert cactus blooms in intense sunlight and heat, the colours seem supernaturally bright, much more so than can be recorded -- but that is because the irises of my eyes are stopped-down to pinpoints, and my visual system makes its own adjustments to what I 'see'.

My recommendation: Shoot in RAW. During RAW development, adjust White Balance / Colour Temperature, and Saturation, and Contrast, and the histogram, until the colours match your memories / expectations / desires. The sensor captures an immense amount of data. Sculpt that data to fit your needs.
08-17-2011, 07:40 AM   #4

Original Poster
I tried PP but because of these circular changes in the colour (specially in the sky) it is quite hard to nicely get rid of it without damaging the picture.
Plus it takes quite a lot of time to do so...

I am reading the "The 15mm Limited controls my mind" thread and I have to say that colours are beautifull. Badly I cannot see many sceneries shot (I only reached the page 26 over 186

Thanks RioRico for your recommendation ! But as I say my problem is more on the fact that I would like to have a wide lens without the color changes I can see with the Sigma 10-20.. Even with PP it's hard to get a uniformly blue sky.

08-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You understand that the polarizer is producing that variable sky color? Personally, I've given up using my CPL on my Samsung 12-24 and DA 14 for this kind of shot. They are just too wide and the variations in sky color (darkness) can make things look odd.

I'd suggest that you take a series of shots with and with out the CPL of this kind of scene and see what you like.
08-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lepiallou Quote
I am considering to change this Sigma for something with better colour rendition
The foveon sensor in sigma cameras doesn't see colour the way people see it, the blues are less saturated than what you get with current bayer sensors. There is always in camera sharpening applied to the red channel, which suffers from a loss of acutance due to lateral diffusion which is caused by the type of silicon they use in the in foveon sensors .

so I would recommend the DA15mm f/4 and a decent Hoya circular polariser, and a few Grad ND filters.

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-17-2011 at 08:13 AM.
08-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Sigma 10-20 gives a kind of reddish cast--but have you tried to modify colors in PP?
The DA 15mm has wonderful color rendition.
I owned both lenses, and I didn't see any real difference in the way the DA15 and the Sigma 10-20 render color.

I suspect there is something else at play here.

08-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

have you tried to remove the Marumi filter ?

what is the aperture you use to do this picture ?
08-17-2011, 08:48 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

The uneven sky color is the effect of the polarizer, not the lens. The effect is maximum at 90 degrees from the sun (in any direction), and minimum when lined up with the sun (0 or 180 degrees). Wide angles cover a very large angle of view, so it is more or less impossible to avoid.

I personally like the effect, but since you don't, take off the polarizer.
08-17-2011, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #10

If you're judging a lens by the color of the image, you should always shoot with a "bare lens" — no filter, as stated above. In my experience, it's difficult to get consistent sky color with a CP filter at focal lengths much shorter than 35mm. I like the picture, by the way.
08-17-2011, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Ditto lose the CP filter on the 10-20...unless you like the uneven sky effect :-)
Get and ND grad filter instead...
08-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

+1 circular polarizer is at play.

Only replace lens if you consistently see poor colour with lens under *all* types of lighting conditions.
08-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your answer

So i will try to answer most of the quiestions here.
First the aperture was set on f9
Then I do use the pola because I thought that it would limit these effects, as the pola is limiting the light arriving with different angles.

I will try to do some tests this week so I can decide if I need new lens or if i need to use mine differently.
08-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a good site that addresses the problem.The article has an example image that has the same sky coloring as yours. There is really nothing you can do, other than not use the filter if you are shooting anywhere near the sun, or only use it when shooting away from the sun.

08-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, eliminating the polarizing filter should eliminate the varying shades in the sky.

However, I notice that you need to clean your sensor as well. You have a lot of dust on it which is made evident by the darker spots visible in the sky of your shot.
Best regards,
Daryl