Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Newbie and minolta lenses question

I just bought a KR and am loving it. That aside. My previous slr was a minolta x-700 with 4 nice lenses. I would like to use them with the KR, even if I have to use them in full manual mode.

I have read several of the threads here about converting lenses by physically altering the lens. I do not have the skill or tools to accomplish this task. I have read threads about there not being any mount converters available. Those threads were a year or more out of date.

I found this Minolta MD Lens to Pentax PK Body SLR Adapter INFINITY | eBay on ebay and would like your thoughts pro and con as well as what to expect if I use this with my KR.

My minolta lenses are:

Sigma 80-200mm 4.5 – 22 Minolta MDManual Zoom lens

Tamron Adaptall2 35-135/3.5-4.5-PRO Minolta MD Manual Zoom lens

Vivitar 28mm f2.8 Wide Angle Lens Minolta manual M/MD Mount

Minolta MD 50mm 1.7 - 22 prime

Look forward to reading your responses.

Oh, if anyone here is well versed on making the physical alterations and would like to undertake converting these lenses to use on the KR. I will pay shipping both ways and for the parts to convert them if you would do the work.

Last edited by mstamper; 08-17-2011 at 10:43 AM.
08-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The infinity adapter is optical, like a short teleconverter; it will stretch the focal lengths and diminish IQ. I recommend against it unless you're really desperate.

I've adapted various lenses to PK mount but haven't yet succeeded with a Minolta MD lens. The MD's shorter register means 2mm must be shaved from MD mounts to achieve infinity focus on PK bodies. It's been done but it ain't easy. I've had a pile of great MD glass but have sold most of it because it's just not usable on my K20D.

Your Tamron Adaptall is no problem -- just get an Adaptall-PK adapter! But unless you make a lucky find on eBay (I got one with a fantastic lens for just US$4!) they tend to be expensive.

My recommendation: Look for decent inexpensive manual lenses in PK or M42 mount. You should be able to replace what you have for well under US$50 each, even as low as US$10 each with careful shopping (and a bit of luck).
08-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
Rio,
Thanks for the information.

I corrected the listing on the Tamron. It is actually an Adaptall 2 lens not an Adaptall.

I found this adapter Tamron AdaptAll2 Mount for Pentax KA, PKA - eBay (item 190566886047 end time Aug-23-11 19:46:23 PDT) and put a bid in on it.

I would still like to see if someone has the tools and skill to attempt the mod.

I might try the other adapter just to see how it works. For the price of the adapter it is not that bad for an experiment.
08-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Besides the register distance problem mentioned, the camera has no control over the aperture. So once you get it working, shooting with those lenses is like this:
  • Focus wide open
  • Set desired aperture on lens aperture ring
  • Meter and maybe compensate
  • Shoot
It's not impossible but it takes some practice to go well.

Each of these lenses should be easy to replace with a more functional equivalent. I might go with a Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 and a Pentax-A 70-210mm f4 zoom, then get a PK-A Adaptall-2 adapter and the Tamron 28mm f2.5 Adaptall-2. Yes, that might run $300 altogether and it's annoying to have unusable gear on the shelf, but it's four nice lenses that are easier to use, and no machining.

08-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sell your Minolta lenses to a m43 users and get their PK mount equivalents instead. Once you have obtained a PK/A Adaptall-2 adapter ($80~120.00 typically), you can buy Tamron Adaptall, Adaptall-2 lenses for it relatively cheap, except for the long and fast lenses. If you have money to burn, by all means try the MD to PK adapter. It will act like a small teleconverter with resultant loss of brightness, make the lenses longer and loss in IQ, far better imo, to put the fund toward PK compatible lenses.

Thanks,
08-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great information.

Based on some additional reading I am going to pass on the ring adapter.

I will be putting together a list of the lenes and the cameral body with some pics and post it up in the "for sale" section here and put it up on ebay and craigs list to raise some money to replace these lenses.

I like the thought of replacing them with PKA Adaptall 2 lenses.
I used to shoot a lot of landscapes and macro stuff before and did some concert photo pics as well.

The KR I have I purchased with the 2 lens kit (18-55 and the 50-200) in order to have some range for tele work and some macro work.

It would be nice to get a 50mm prime lens to shoot some portrait stuff some times,

thanks again for the input.