Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
So, it looks like I got an Adaptall-2 with a M42 mount (as opposed to what seller claimed, but which is preferable), which I assume comes off easily (although that is what I will use at first) and leaves me with an Adaptall-2 mount. I have the option of getting other adapters: an Adaptall-2 to PK would yield similar behavior to the M42 mount in terms of functionality, and the A2 to PK/A mount, while expensive, would allow me to meter much more effectively.

I'll also have to deal with the pin on the back. I believe I saw an article where you can take the back of the lens off and put some wire tubing in to keep the pin depressed. Hope I don't ruin the lens!

Have I got that right?

Thanks

Steve

08-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I believe the demarcation point between Adaptall and Adaptall-2 is the introduction of the in-body aperture control and it's adaptation by all of the camera manufacturers. I have two Adaptall lenses CW-28 and Z-500. The Z-500 introduced in 1974 is as Steve says, has only one recess to accept one mounting tab, I can mount a PK/A adapter with no problem but no automatic aperture function (no f32, no AE setting). PK/M mount works fine with the Z-500 with Pentax DSLR (M mode, green button metering).

CW-28 introduced in 1976, has two recess points on the lens, accepts both PK/A and PK/M mounts and works well with either of them. CW-28 only goes up to f16 but it has an AE position on the lens, plus an A or M slide switch near the base of the lens. Looking at all this, I believe CW-28 would work with all Pentax camera that were around from m42 to KA mount bodies.

Even with this versatility of the C series Adaptall lenses, they were only transitional lenses because within two years starting from 1979, the entire line of Adaptall lenses was replaced by Adaptall-2 lenses. The naming convention was also changed; two numeric digits succeeded by letter A for zoom and B for prime lenses. A third number added to a lens model (ie; 03A to 103A) would represent a complete redesign of the lens, and a second letter added to a lens (ie; 52B to 52BB) would represent a minor revision or cosmetic changes.

All adaptall-2 lenses have f32/AE on the aperture ring to accept a PK/A adapter, where as some Adaptall lenses have AE and some do not. I believe with the advent of the in-body aperture control plus it's adaptation by all camera manufacturers, necessitated Tamron to introduce lenses and the Adaptall mounts to accommodate the changes, thus the Adaptall-2 lens line was born.

Thanks,

Last edited by excanonfd; 10-11-2011 at 11:39 AM.
08-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hi,
Nice list of mounts. A few notes:
  • I don't believe there was ever an original Adaptall for Pentax K mount (K-mount requires both "tabs" to translate aperture setting offset to the camera and the original Adaptall only supports one "tab")
  • Adaptall-2 mounts will not work on original Adaptall lenses
  • The M42 original Adaptall will work on Adaptall-2 lenses
  • Neither the original Adaptall nor Adaptall-2 M42 has an A/M switch. As a result, these require modification before they can be used with a K/M42 adapter on a K-mount body.
Translation? The original Adaptall lenses have poor compatibility with K-mount cameras. Ditto for Adaptall-2 lenses with the M42 adapter.

Steve
Again, my original post was about the 46A. However there was an adaptall pk mount as well as a adaptall-2 PK mount and of course the Adpatall-2 PK/A mount. The Adaptall is uncommon and was only made for a few years. The first lenses in the AD2 and SP lines came out in 1979.

As far as the m42 goes your are correct in their use on k-mount but I simply mentioned the various m42 mounts (including the ES). However, I don't modify the m42 mounts since I have PK, PKA mounts and 1 Ricoh mount (pin removed). I have a collection of m42 bodies. Therefore I can use the 180/2.5 on my Spot F or ES with open aperture metering.

On a separate note, there was also an adaptall-2 EOS-M mount. There weren't very many made, but they do exist.

Here is the Adaptall K mount.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blue; 08-18-2011 at 01:02 PM.
08-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I believe the demarcation point between Adaptall and Adaptall-2 is the introduction of the in-body aperture control and it's adaptation by all of the camera manufacturers. I have two Adaptall lenses CW-28 and Z-500. The Z-500 introduced in 1974 is as Steve says, has only one recess to accept one mounting tab, I can mount a PK/A adapter with no problem but no automatic aperture function (no f32, no AE setting). PK/M mount works fine with the Z-500 with Pentax DSLR (M mode, green button metering).

CW-28 introduced in 1976, has two recess points on the lens, accepts both PK/A and PK/M mounts and works well with either of them. CW-28 only goes up to f16 but it has an AE position on the lens, plus an A or M slide switch near the base of the lens. Looking at all this, I believe CW-28 would work with all Pentax camera that were around from m42 to KA mount bodies.

Even with this versatility of the C series Adaptall lenses, they were only transitional lenses because within two years starting from 1979, the entire line of Adaptall lenses was replaced by Adaptall-2 lenses. The naming convention was also changed; two numeric digits succeeded by letter A for zoom and B for prime lenses. A third number added to a lens model (ie; 03A to 103A) would represent a complete redesign of the lens, and a second letter added to a lens (ie; 52B to 52BB) would represent a minor revision or cosmetic changes.

All adaptall-2 lenses have f32/AE on the aperture ring to accept a PK/A adapter, where as some Adaptall lenses have AE and some do not. I believe with the advent of the in-body aperture control plus it's adaptation by all camera manufacturers, necessitated Tamron to introduce lenses and the Adaptall mounts to accommodate the changes, thus the Adaptall-2 lens line was born.

Thanks,
1 comment, the revision of a lens from A or B to AA or BB may or may not have been a complete redesign but a revision. The extensiveness of the revision or redesign ran a gambit of minor to elemental etc. If it was very severe, a similar but different model number was assigned, with the 107B, 60B and 360B (300/2.8) being an example. The improvement from the 107B to the 60B was IF. The 360B saw the addition of floating element system to the IF.

08-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Here is the Adaptall K mount.
Well, I stand corrected! I was also unaware of the transitional two-tabbed Adaptalls. If you have any inclination, perhaps some editing of the Wikipedia Tamron article is in order

Steve
08-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, I stand corrected! I was also unaware of the transitional two-tabbed Adaptalls. If you have any inclination, perhaps some editing of the Wikipedia Tamron article is in order

Steve
Editing Wikipedia could be a full time job! I wouldn't have known the adaptall K existed or the EOS-M if I hadn't actually seen them. I still have the EOS-M. I honestly don't know much about the Adaptall series and the information is translated from the Japanese from one of Tamron's old sites. I do think they have more in common optically with the Adaptamatic series than the Adaptall-2 series optically. The Tamron F I know even less about. The Adaptall-2 line is all over the map on whether they support AE or not and it is further complicated by the camera body's capability.

I have been meaning to get all my Adapall and Adaptamatic mounts out and photograph them and post them here in the appropriate lens data base.

BTW, here is the back of the above Adaptall K.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blue; 08-18-2011 at 01:40 PM.
08-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
. . . Adapall and Adaptamatic mounts out and photograph them and post them here in the appropriate lens data base. BTW, here is the back of the above Adaptall K.
Just to demonstrate that there's more than one PK possibility, here's one of my PK adapters. I also have a PK adapter identical to the one in Blue's post.

Note the different engraving, two aperture transfer tabs and an aperture collar that goes to F1.4 !! (You've gotta wonder just what they had in mind with THAT. ) This one does NOT fit properly on my CZ-class lenses because there's no notch for the second tab but works normally with the AD-2 lenses.

I no longer remember when or how I acquired this one and it may not be a Tamron OEM item although the internal design, fit and finish seems identical. If it's a knock-off, it serves well in any case.

[As a side note, I once "repaired" a bent aperture transfer tab on a PK/A ring by cannibalizing one from a Topcon ring. Many of the individual parts are common regardless of the type camera mount and a basic Adaptall-to-???? adapter may be cobbled together from parts if manual mode operation is all that's needed. An' that's a JIS x-point driver too.]

H2

This has gotten off topic but it seems worthy of migrating to the Adaptall section with its own descriptive title where the info could more easily be found. An illustrated Adaptall/Adaptamatic mount article (a la rparmar's The Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary thread) would be a great reference source.

Last edited by pacerr; 08-18-2011 at 06:19 PM.
03-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Thanks, it helps clarify!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
In the beginning (ignoring even earlier lens lines such as Adaptamatic) there were Adaptall "without-2" lenses and corresponding Adaptall Custom Mounts.

Then (in 1979 or thereabout) came the Adaptall-2 lens line with corresponding Adaptall-2 Custom Mounts. Those lenses that Tamron considered "something special" were given the additional "SP" ("Super Performance") designation. All Adaptall-2 lenses, whether SP or not share the same line of Custom Mounts. And Adaptall-2 Custom Mounts may also be used with the earlier Adaptall-"without 2" lenses.

Adaptall LENSES are of a different mechanical and mostly also a different optical design than their Adaptall-2 successors. The former are usually considered as "good" or ""very good", yet inferior to the lenses in the Adaptall-2 line (whether SP or not).

Adaptall CUSTOM MOUNTS are universally reported as mechanically less reliable than the Adaptall-2 mounts. Thus, if you find an attractive Adaptall lens, you should still go for an Adaptall-2 mount to use with that lens.

Now to your 46A and its "closest relatives". I can think of:
  • Adaptall: Model Z-220 (80-220)
  • Adaptall-2: Model 03A (80-210); Model 103A (80-210); Model 46A (70-210); Model 47A (70-210 - with AF!); Model 158A (70-210)
  • SP Adaptall-2: Model 19AH (70-210); Perhaps also Model 30A (80-200 - pricy f/2.8 lens).
I hope the above clarifies more than it confuses???

Thanks, that is a great explanation. I collect Tamrons, including Adaptamatic. I have also some Adaptall (without the 2) and the do work with the Adaptall-2 adapter to Pentax and indeed can recognize and allow use of the f-stops in the camera. However, from time to time, something happens when you are using an Adaptall-2 on an Adaptall lens that causes some errors in the exposure. Not all the times, but sometimes, it over exposes when you stop down beyond 8 or so. Nothing that you cannot adjust though.
Something weird, for example, I have the CT105 (105mm f2.5), when used on my K5 with an adaptall-2 adapter, it recognizes f2.4, even lower. THat is interesting consufusion of some sort. I only have praise for my SP Adaptall 2 lenses, they are just wonderful.