Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yukoner777 Quote
I just checked a couple of old listings in the Marketplace for bellows. Looks like a lot of machinery for a very small price. How is the IQ affected using a bellows setup?
Assuming the bellows has no light leaks, IQ isn't affected at all. If go into this a bit here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html

08-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #32
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
50mm macros are quite decent compromises between portrait focal lengths and useful macro focal lengths. So the DFA 50 macro isn't a bad choice in this regard. It is not weather-sealed, though. So if that matters, your only choice is the DFA 100 macro WR. Other non-WR choices include the DA 35 macro (good for more 3/4 or whole body portraiture) or the Sigma 70/Tamron 90 as previously mentioned (both very good value for money).

All the best in that.
08-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any of the choices offered above will be generally fine. Macro lenses are pretty good!

For something left of centre, I could suggest the Leica Macro-Elmarit 60/2.8. It needs to be adapted (a 3 minute job), it'll be stop-down metering and manual focus, but it'll be fun!

Could probably pick one up for $450, it goes to 1:2 macro but it is a hell of a lens. Great microcontrast (and the resulting 3-d feel) as well as lovely colour rendition work beautifulyl especially for portraits:

08-18-2011, 12:57 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
For something left of centre, I could suggest the Leica Macro-Elmarit 60/2.8. It needs to be adapted (a 3 minute job), it'll be stop-down metering and manual focus, but it'll be fun!
I had a chance to try this on out (my friend converted one of these Elmarits) and you are right, it is a great lens. Seems better than Micro Nikkor 60/2,8 and I'd very much like to borrow it for a few days to see how it compared with the DFA50.
But it is manual focus and exposure only. Quite difficult to handle for most of us.

08-18-2011, 02:02 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think it's just a bit of practice. I took about 6 months to get used to MF. I am still fairly slow though but I get more shots in focus with MF than with AF.
08-18-2011, 03:01 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I had a chance to try this on out (my friend converted one of these Elmarits) and you are right, it is a great lens. Seems better than Micro Nikkor 60/2,8 and I'd very much like to borrow it for a few days to see how it compared with the DFA50.
But it is manual focus and exposure only. Quite difficult to handle for most of us.

You've got a Pentax. CIF all the way !
08-18-2011, 05:09 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
I think it's just a bit of practice. I took about 6 months to get used to MF. I am still fairly slow though but I get more shots in focus with MF than with AF.
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
You've got a Pentax. CIF all the way !
MF is fine for macro, actually the only way, but not for portraits (for me) - and CIF is limited to central point, I like to focus off the center. I had a Pancolar 80/1.8 for portraiture for quite a long time and never got used to it. I had to replace it with AF lens.

08-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #38
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Assuming the bellows has no light leaks, IQ isn't affected at all. If go into this a bit here: CHEAP MACRO -- Buying or exploiting a lens for ultraclose work
Great article, RioRico