Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #16
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
DA 40mm. not distracting at all
Problem with the DA40 is it's often not fast enough for indoor unless you boost the ISO to 800. Also, it's a bit short for candid portrait.

08-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #17
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
Congratulations in advance
It depends on work space as well. If you have a large place to do the shots, then a short telephoto can do well.
I just had my 2nd child 2 months back.
Tried all sorts of focal lengths and think they all look good on babies
My lens of choice would be the 43ltd. (actually cause its usually on my camera when I reach for it)
Nice working distance; Fast; Good shallow DOF control if needed; Razor sharp stopped down for more DOF shots.

Natural light is really the most beautiful quality of light to work with, but I'm impartial to bounced/umbrella flash as well.


But really all FL are good :

FA*24



FA35



FA43ltd



Revuenon 55/1.2



FA*85



M85/2
08-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #18
Pentaxian
Designosophy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northeast Philadelphia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,098
My favorite lens for baby photos is the Pentax-A 135/2.8. I like the distance from which I can shoot.



I also use my FA 50/1.7 a lot.

08-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
My dad shot us kids with the rough equivalent of a 35/1.7 and did quite well. You should also do quite well with the 31/1.8 Ltd. But I'd also recommend a Fast Fifty, like a FA50/1.4 if you can swing it. And something fast in the 85-105mm range, and a 135, and... pretty soon you'll be awash with lenses. Have fun!

08-18-2011, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member
Andi Lo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,925
FA 50 for available light. Tamron 28-75 for umbrellas.I wish I have a 100-135mm/2.8 sometimes, but I think the occasions where I actually have that much space to work with is very rare. Would be lovely for outdoors where I have some assitance though.
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Congratulations in advance
But really all FL are good :
FA43ltd
FA*85
M85/2
Love the lighting on these pinholecam. Area they all diffused through umbrella?


The following are purely umbrellas. For natural light I prefer using shaded areas outdoors rather than indoors as they can be hard to predict in terms of shooting location









Last edited by Andi Lo; 08-18-2011 at 11:56 AM.
08-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #21
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 309
Original Poster
Thanks for the ideas!

Thanks for the ideas guys. I actually do have a couple of fast lenses that will work, including the FA 50 F/1.4 and my dad's old Takumar Bayonet 135mm F/2.5 that is probably older than I am and still takes beautiful pictures!
08-18-2011, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian
Designosophy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northeast Philadelphia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,098
QuoteOriginally posted by miltona580 Quote
Thanks for the ideas guys. I actually do have a couple of fast lenses that will work, including the FA 50 F/1.4 and my dad's old Takumar Bayonet 135mm F/2.5 that is probably older than I am and still takes beautiful pictures!
I had the Tak Bayonet 135/2.5. If you use it in the right situations, it gives decent results. Here's one of the same baby. This was a high-contrast situation, so I had to push the contrast in PP.

08-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
Set your camera up for "Catch-In-Focus" and grab yourself a Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 and a Samyang 85mm 1.4 and have at it. The 85mm Samyang is BY FAR the best lens deal on the market for a new piece, there is nothing that can compete with its IQ and sharpness at its price, or even remotely close to its price at that focal length ($329'ish depending on the brand label); the 50mm 1.7 you can get for around $50-...



---

08-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #24
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
FA31 is a fantastic lens for baby photos. Sure a FA77 or DA70 would be great as a second lens, but really it requires a lot of over thinking for anyone to conclude the FA31 is no good for baby photos IMHO.

I have a few nice lenses but if I had to choose just one to take a pic of a baby I'd reach for the FA31. Sorry if that doesn't help you justify more LBA though
08-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #25
Pentaxian
Designosophy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northeast Philadelphia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,098
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Set your camera up for "Catch-In-Focus" and grab yourself a Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 and a Samyang 85mm 1.4 and have at it. The 85mm Samyang is BY FAR the best lens deal on the market for a new piece, there is nothing that can compete with its IQ and sharpness at its price, or even remotely close to its price at that focal length ($329'ish depending on the brand label); the 50mm 1.7 you can get for around $50-...

---
Is the Samyang different from the Rokinon? They look so similar.
08-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #26
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near The Mouse (tm)
Posts: 85
QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
Is the Samyang different from the Rokinon? They look so similar.
From what I understand, the Rokinon, Vivitar, and Samyang are all manufactured to the same spec by Samyang and rebadged. I think there's a Bower version of it, too. Maybe others in other parts of the world.
08-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #27
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 309
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jason 407 Quote
From what I understand, the Rokinon, Vivitar, and Samyang are all manufactured to the same spec by Samyang and rebadged. I think there's a Bower version of it, too. Maybe others in other parts of the world.
I think you can get three different versions on that lens from B&H right now, with Bower being the least expensive. Kinda odd for the same lens!
08-20-2011, 12:08 AM   #28
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
FA 50 for available light. Tamron 28-75 for umbrellas.I wish I have a 100-135mm/2.8 sometimes, but I think the occasions where I actually have that much space to work with is very rare. Would be lovely for outdoors where I have some assitance though.


Love the lighting on these pinholecam. Area they all diffused through umbrella?


The following are purely umbrellas. For natural light I prefer using shaded areas outdoors rather than indoors as they can be hard to predict in terms of shooting location
Nice photos from you Andi. Much better lighting control than what I have ever got. Are they bounce or shoot thru?

IIRC, the lighting are the following :

FA*24 -Natural light
FA35 -Natural light
FA43ltd -Shoot thru
Revuenon 55/1.2 -Natural light
FA*85 -Shoot thru
M85/2 -wall bounce
08-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #29
Veteran Member
Andi Lo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,925
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Nice photos from you Andi. Much better lighting control than what I have ever got. Are they bounce or shoot thru?

IIRC, the lighting are the following :

FA*24 -Natural light
FA35 -Natural light
FA43ltd -Shoot thru
Revuenon 55/1.2 -Natural light
FA*85 -Shoot thru
M85/2 -wall bounce
They're all shoot through. I can't do umbrella bounce very well. Sometimes I wonder if it's because I'm using a reversible umbrella... but I think it's just me. Thanks for the compliments though

Lighting ones the ones that I like from your series is the shoot through and bounce it seems. I should try some wall bounce myself next time. Natural light is really nice too but it doesnt give that "I'm in a studio" feel imho.
08-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #30
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,695
Indeed, don't forget fast fifties - very good value for money
an old FA 50/1.4 example I have:



and of course, the DA* 16-50
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
31mm, baby, fa, k-mount, lens, macro, option, pentax lens, pictures, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best lens for new baby? sewebster Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 38 01-17-2011 05:57 PM
People Baby Human and Baby Tiger iqbal Photo Critique 5 12-08-2010 03:55 AM
Best lens for capturing new born baby pictures s_prasad22 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 12 09-05-2010 01:48 PM
Who's walking who...(warning: baby and dog pictures) heliphoto Post Your Photos! 15 01-03-2009 10:27 PM
Baby Pictures sureshgvv Post Your Photos! 2 11-25-2008 08:36 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:59 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top