Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

LBA: an hour in NYC...

I've just returned from the Berkshires in upstate New York, where my wife and I spent Thanksgiving with her family. It was a wonderful trip and my photography mainly centered around family candids. We also went to visit her older brother in Queens. On the way out of the city, they graciously accommodated my wish to make a singular stop in Manhattan. I had one place on my mind. B&H Photo!

Wow! What a store! 2 stories of electronics goodness. After security approved my camera bag, I fiercely charged upstairs, hunting for Pentax glass. I found my way, marveling at the little section off lenses... yet, more Pentax lenses than I've ever seen gathered in one place.

I asked to try out the 77mm 1.8 Limited and the DA* 50-135mm 2.8. After a few test shots, my wife and her sister would not let me leave without getting a lens. I was so torn! Both were amazing!

The incredible samples from forum members of the 77 Limited was a huge part in my investment in Pentax. The store model was back-focusing and I began to feel that longer length primes weren't as useful as a telephoto zoom. I happen to love primes.... the 31 Limited being my most used lens. I thought the 77 would round out my primes... the 14, the 31, the 50 and the 77...

I tuned in and listened to my inner voice. Man... the DA* was sweet. Relatively light and balanced on the K10D. Quick focusing. Near silent focusing. Weather-sealed. Love the focal range. That's it... this lens is MINE!

So, it's Tuesday and it's supposed to arrive on Thursday! I opted to ship it since here in Oregon we don't pay sales tax. $15 for 3 day shipping vs $80 for sales tax.

I will post a few of my in-store snaps of both lenses later in this thread.

11-27-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
envious. I bet the 50-135 will be great and looking forward to some photos
11-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Lucky you!!!!!
11-27-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Congrats! It will make a great doggie lens I took lots of shots of my parents' dogs (peka-poo and chinese crested) over Thanksgiving and they came out great! It's also a great people lens
Unfortunately, my Tamron 28-75mm hasn't been getting much use lately, the DA* is THAT great!

11-27-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2nd floor? a lot of Pentax glass? Is all that new? I was there just a few months ago and I don't think that was there then... Just the main SLR section downstairs in the back-right of the store.
11-28-2007, 05:10 AM   #6
ycl

Yes -- new 2d Floor

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
2nd floor? a lot of Pentax glass? Is all that new? I was there just a few months ago and I don't think that was there then... Just the main SLR section downstairs in the back-right of the store.
Hi -- Yes, B & H recently renovated (within the 5 weeks, I believe) and now has a huge 2d floor for the SLR stuff. (I'm not sure what'll happen to the old SLR area downstairs in the back -- currently it's walled off). And, yes, finally there's a full Pentax "stand" where anyone can just pick up the K10 and K100 and try how they feel in the hand.
11-28-2007, 07:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd like to know one thing. What do you have that not one, but two women, wouldn't let you leave without purchasing a lense!!!

Good on you pal. Enjoy it and post the fruits of your labour.

11-28-2007, 07:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I'd like to know one thing. What do you have that not one, but two women, wouldn't let you leave without purchasing a lense!!!

I thought that would only happen in dream...
11-28-2007, 07:47 AM   #9
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
When I read this response before reading the quote it was responding to, I though it was in response to hearing B&H has a 2nd floor of all [D-]SLR equip and a full Pentax stand...
11-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
I have dreams including two women too, but not in this context.
11-28-2007, 09:22 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Congrats! It will make a great doggie lens I took lots of shots of my parents' dogs (peka-poo and chinese crested) over Thanksgiving and they came out great! It's also a great people lens
Unfortunately, my Tamron 28-75mm hasn't been getting much use lately, the DA* is THAT great!
Have you posted your doggie shots? I'd love to see them! I love the Tamron lens.. such a great zoom.... it's almost hard to imagine a better one!

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
They must have redid things. On the first floor they had they used SLR and lens section, including a Pentax section. Upstairs they had the Pentax booth with the SLR's and against the wall they have all the lenses you could ever want!

And, yeah... my wife and sister in law are very understanding... can't go 3000 miles without getting a lens! They even said, I might as well get the 50-135 over the 77 since it was just a few hundred more!

I don't seem to be getting to the in-store shots very quickly. I took well over 300 shots in a bit less than a week. I'll try and post them soon.
11-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I have some more that will be put up tonight (as well as lots of my Pomeranian at home that I haven't uploaded yet)

Haven't really compared the Tamron and the Pentax in the 50-75mm range, would make an interesting experiment.
11-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #13
m8o
Veteran Member

Evan, those belong here... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/14351-your-pet-day-post-up.html Great focus. That's the 1st lens I bought (instead of the kit lens). Though the Voigtlander has been glued to the camera of late, I've been thinking it's time to put the Tamron back on! (actually, it's time to get my camera fixed! ...then put the Tamron back on )
11-28-2007, 11:56 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Haha, those aren't actually my pets, they belong to my parents. They were taken with the DA*, NOT the Tamron. I know Hamid takes some great dog shots so I wanted to show him how the DA* and dogs get along.

I'll try to get some of MY doggie online tonight, he's been posted before - A furry Pomeranian named Chase.

Off to check out the pet post you linked to....
11-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote

I see a lot of people have the same question, usually it's the opposite, women who won't let you within 100 feet of a camera store