Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2007, 06:02 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Help and suggestions on lenses and filters

hey everyone,

I own the K100D with the standard 18-55mm lense. What would you suggest for a begginer when purchasing filters and lenses? Will the standard lens work good enough or should i upgrade to a higher lens? What sort of filters should I have in my bag at all times? This is for landscape photography primarily.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. thanks, justin

11-27-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seymop Quote
hey everyone,

I own the K100D with the standard 18-55mm lense. What would you suggest for a begginer when purchasing filters and lenses? Will the standard lens work good enough or should i upgrade to a higher lens? What sort of filters should I have in my bag at all times? This is for landscape photography primarily.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. thanks, justin
I would suggest using the 18-55 for a while to find what you like or don't like about it, then you can make a better decision about another lens. The 18-55 is actually a pretty good lens.

I, too, have the K100D with the 18-55, but recently bought a 16-45 mainly because I wanted the constant f4.0 aperture. I never liked variable aperture lenes.

I also bought the 50-200, which does have a variable aperture, but it's small, inexpensive and easy to carry around. Sometime, you have to make concessions in life. The image quality is pretty good from what I've seen so far.

As for filters, I usually carry Tiffen Soft FX 2 and 3 filters, and a polarizer, but not much more.

The soft FXs will give a nice, soft pastel-type effect to your subjects. They will soften the image, and lower contrast. I use them mostly for women, but they work on landsacpes too. Whether or not you'll like the effect is up to you.

The polarizer will darken a blue sky and remove many reflections. Again, you have to try it for yourself to see if you like its effect.

I'm sure others will be along to give their advice.

Good luck with your new camera.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Bokeh; 11-27-2007 at 08:16 PM.
11-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

One thing I forgot to add: The 18-55 and the 50-200 both use 52mm filters, which is very convenient, and will save a lot of money. You can use any filter you buy on either lens.

I have many 52mm filters, but very few 67mm, the size my 16-45 uses.

Something to think about.

Mike
11-27-2007, 08:48 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kit lens should be fine.

A UV Filter is a must in the bag, but do not use it unless you absolutely have to as it causes image degradation as well as artifacts in your images under certain conditions; A lens hood provides better protection in most instances and actually improves image quality.

A Polarizer is a must as well IMHO.

As for another lens, I would go with the Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro. Excellent lens! A bit slow, but optically it is fantastic. You also get a 1:2 (half life size) macro mode with the lens as well that works excellent!

11-28-2007, 04:41 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
thanks for the help guys! What brand of filters would you recomend? Can I get reativley cheap filters without hurting quality?
11-28-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seymop Quote
thanks for the help guys! What brand of filters would you recomend? Can I get reativley cheap filters without hurting quality?
I, personally, would buy the best quality filters I could afford.

Tiffen and B&W filters are both of very good quality.

Here's a page which should give you a lot of info on filters you can check out from B&H photo.
B&H Photo - Which Filter & How Many

Here's Tiffen's page: Tiffen Filters - Tiffen.Com Click on Screw in filters.

You can also check out Cokin filters. Welcome to COKIN.COM
You buy a filter-holder, and then buy their relatively inexpensive filters which slip into the holder. The upside, is that they offer a lot of different filters.

The downside, is that many of their filters are made of plastic, and scratch easily.

I would recommend buying fewer filters now, and then add the ones you want as you get to know which type of effect you want to produce.

Have a good time checking them out!

Mike