Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

another macro thread......macro for beginners

Hi all.......the minister of finance has given me the go ahead to spend limited amount of $ ......he knows it will be camera gear
So I am looking at a macro.....and I cant decide on the best approach.....Auto focus or manual focus ?? I know I want 90mm or longer and a focus rail ( a cheapo one
I have some extension tubes that I have played with on an A zoom 35-105 with limited success......
Would It be better to get an older m/f 1:1?? or a more modern a/f 1:1??
cheers
Jan

08-18-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a number of manual focus 100mm macro lenses that go for $300-$400. Indeed even AF macros can go for that price. All depends on your preference. The Lester Dine/Kiron 105mm macro is well acclaimed as a MF macro. And the DFA 100 macro is also a very good AF macro, but the Tamron 90 and Sigma 150 macros also fall into the very good AF category...
08-18-2011, 03:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't have a ~100mm macro lens myself, yet, but I can suggest that you use your tubes with a prime rather than a zoom. You will see Much better results. I'm having so much fun with a set of A type tubes and a cheap Pentax A 50mm f./2. I'm getting 1.45:1 magnification with that, which is plenty for a lot of stuff. If I could just swing the cost of a ring flash I'd be set.

You can check out my early explorations with this setup here if you like.

As far as AF vs. MF goes, if you plan to shoot with just the ~100mm I'd say go for the AF, especially if you're crawling around and shooting hand held. However, AF is not your friend when using tubes or bellows, or addon closeup lenses (btw, check out the Raynox 150 and 250!!!). When using extension it's a lot better to move yourself, rather than your focus, so a manual lens is best suited (and cheaper).
08-18-2011, 04:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hehe am taking the tubes and A 50mm to work so I can play in my lunch hour......hope the rain goes away! I think you are right and I should play a bit more with what I have first........tho those 90mm tamron sure look nice!
cheers
Jan

08-18-2011, 05:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

a couple of things I have learned along the way.

1:1 is an objective many have, but you don't need to have 1:1 in the lens itself. you never work (usually) from infinity down to 1:1 but more often, in a small range of pehaps 1:4 to 1:1. As a consequence you may also find many MF 100mm pentax macros, plus extension tubes, as a low cost alternative.

pentax macros from super takumar to SMC-M 100mm F4 lenses are virtually all the same except coatings and a flip flop back and forth on filter size between 52mm and 49mm. All focus from infinity down to 1:2 and with a 50mm tube get to 1:1

this plus the focsuing rail you mentio you are getting is enough to get good results and have a lot of fun.

Thw down side is that yoiu are manual everything, including flash (unless working with an *istD?? where you gan use TTL flash)

Manual focus is not an issue IMO because the focus sensor never focuses where you really weant it for macto, so nothing is lost.

the other option, of course is to pick up a bellows. there are a lot out there cheap,

again you are manual everything.

one last point to consider, with newer internally focused 1:1 macros. Many of these lenses while focusing at 1:1 may use focal length modification for close focus. as a result, an IF focuseed 100mm macro may not be 100mm at minimum focus distance. try one out in a store first. a 100mm macro should give you 200mm working distance (from front element to subject at 1:1. 200mm is 8 inches (give or take)
08-18-2011, 05:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a "cheapo" macro rail bought on eBay (photomate something) and it works well enough.

AF can be useful for two reasons : you're not always using your lens as a macro and if your subject is still, AF should work fine.

You can get a 50mm AF macro lens for below 350$, but if you want 90mm and more, you must be prepared to pay over 400$, except if you find a sweet deal somewhere.
08-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, y'see, I wrote this article... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html
08-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #8

The Raynox macro adapters are also very good and very versatile. Just clip one on to the front of your favourite prime, say a nifty 50, and you are good to go.

08-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I like my FA100mm but did pay about $300 for it. I use it auto and manual focus, depending on the situation and whether I have my glasses on...

You can go shorter, but if you're after insects the long length is an advantage.
08-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
doing macro can be a lot of work (be it AF or MF) and test your skill as you want to improve your photos.

it is nice to have an AF macro for dual purpose. one for telephoto use where AF comes in handy, and one for macro. you can still use AF for macro, although MF is the usual practice for focus and DOF judgement efficiency.

as far as spending on a camera gear is concerned, it depends on your budget and what you really wanted to spend it on? do you want to maximize your purchasing power as well or would you prefer a dream purchase? again only you can answer these questions. what we can only give are recommendations of different scenarios.

let's say you are given around $500 of mad money and really wanted a dream macro. the options that I could recommend are any of the used autofocus Tamron 90, Pentax AF 100, Sigma 105. such lenses could cost from $250-$350, depending on what used market you get them from and which seller (eBay, B&H, Adorama, KEH, craigslist,etc...). there are a lot of options and sometimes you can get them for much cheaper and great condition if you are lucky. this would save you $150-$250 and give you something to spend on another item.

if you want to maximize your purchase without having to spend a lot of money on a single purchase, the cheaper options are extension tubes for $10-20 bucks, Raynox/Marumi adapter lens for $50, bellows and focusing rail around $50 used. this would cost you almost nothing because you have some ext. tube already to say the least. and would enable you to purchase some macro accessories instead. maybe you want to consider purchasing a macro flash ring for $300 or assemble a cheap and practical strobe set for macro. you could buy 3 cheap flash for around $100, 2 sets of Cactus V5 triggers (which gives you 4 tranceivers) for $100, 2-3 tripods for $100-$150 for flash and camera setup or you could handheld your camera instead, and reflectors and diffusers for $100 which could cost you a total of $300 to $350 more or less.
08-19-2011, 04:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm well I had a play today.....and actually quite enjoyed myself lol...........but and however.....its the distance from the end of the lens to the bug that has me ......a bit wary LOL I had to be less than a couple of inches away from this little fella.

If I wanted to chase flying bugs.....bees, flies dragon, flies, butterflies..... what would be the ideal lens? I don't know if I want to be quite that close to the big ugly spiders we get either !

cheers
Jan
08-19-2011, 04:56 AM   #12
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, then 100mm (at least) is the way to go.
This one is a heavy crop from an FA 100 macro shot on a K10D:

Last edited by Ash; 08-19-2011 at 05:11 AM.
08-19-2011, 05:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What other lengths are there? I have found a sigma 105 but that seems to be the longest macro I can find?
08-19-2011, 05:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janstew Quote
What other lengths are there? I have found a sigma 105 but that seems to be the longest macro I can find?
150 and 200 macros exist also, from Sigma and Pentax at least. For a stiff price, of course. Or use a 135 or 200 prime on bellows and/or tubes. If you're shooting bugs and blooms in the wild, you don't really need the edge-to-edge flatfield quality of a 'macro' lens -- that's great for shooting stamps or microcircuits but not rounded stuff.