Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Oh lord, that's what I'm afraid of!

No, I obviously don't know what I want. Just trying to get some opinions and maybe work through it via other people's perspectives. I don't have the luxury of a nearby store that sells Pentax equipment and don't have the funds to purchase both at once and try them out.

I'd love to have both, but that's just not going to happen at this time. Can you tell me which one you'd choose if you could only have one of those lenses?

The 15 is sure enticing me. I do not yet own a limited and I'm sure I could sell it if for some reason it disappoints or doesn't suit my needs, as you suggested.
Well, it's a tough question. Let me try to answer you the best way I can in my own context:

Scenario one: I have money to spend
- I would sell the 10-20, keep the DA15 then buy a DA21

Scenario two: money is tight
- I would keep the 10-20. DA15 is highly sought after and one can even make money by reselling it...

08-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Uh, corner sharpness of the 10-20mm is just not there. I'd say that the DA 15mm does better on IQ charts... But then again, it's a prime.
I'm going to suggest that this is way less of an issue than you make it out to be. How often are the corners even in focus at 10mm, 15mm, etc? You would need f22, where *everything* is less than optimally sharp. Also, a common criticism of the DA 15 is that the corners aren't that great either. I don't see it, but I also don't stare at the corners of photos very often.

Colour differences are likely palpable, but easily correctable if you know what you are doing. I love the colour of the DA lenses, but I would not select the DA 15 for colour alone. Biggest advantage for the DA 15 is going to be superior flare resistance. No arguing that one. Depending on your usage though,10mm might be much more useful than flare resistance (especially if you are shooting indoors),

Distortion is easily corrected in post. In other words, buy the DA 15 for the right reasons - the size! That's why I have it (and why I love it). But I'm not much of a wide-angle junkie. If I was, 15mm would not be wide enough, to be honest.
08-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Well, it's a tough question. Let me try to answer you the best way I can in my own context:

Scenario one: I have money to spend
- I would sell the 10-20, keep the DA15 then buy a DA21

Scenario two: money is tight
- I would keep the 10-20. DA15 is highly sought after and one can even make money by reselling it...
OK, thanks for offering your opinion on that!

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I'm going to suggest that this is way less of an issue than you make it out to be. How often are the corners even in focus at 10mm, 15mm, etc? You would need f22, where *everything* is less than optimally sharp. Also, a common criticism of the DA 15 is that the corners aren't that great either. I don't see it, but I also don't stare at the corners of photos very often.

Colour differences are likely palpable, but easily correctable if you know what you are doing. I love the colour of the DA lenses, but I would not select the DA 15 for colour alone. Biggest advantage for the DA 15 is going to be superior flare resistance. No arguing that one. Depending on your usage though,10mm might be much more useful than flare resistance (especially if you are shooting indoors),

Distortion is easily corrected in post. In other words, buy the DA 15 for the right reasons - the size! That's why I have it (and why I love it). But I'm not much of a wide-angle junkie. If I was, 15mm would not be wide enough, to be honest.
Thanks, paperbag. I don't know if I'm a wide angle junkie either. It just seems there have been instances where I have needed wider than the 18mm I have at my disposal now. Naturally the Samyang I have is wider, but at a price (fisheye distortion). I am always wowed by how much fits in the FoV of that lens, though.
08-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I had the 16-45, but felt limited until I had the 10-20 (old version.) I usually use the 10-20mm at 10-12mm, so while the extra 1mm for the 15mm would be helpful, it probably still wouldn't have been that satisfying. I suppose I'm still limited vs. the 8-16mm. I haven't tried stitching; maybe that would change my opinion.

Paul

08-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, Paul.

I am on the verge of getting the 15 from Amazon since I could easily return it if not satisfied after some quick testing.
08-19-2011, 12:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I had this dilemma and, for me, the 10-20 was the winner. If it was a DA11 instead of a DA15, that would be different!

One thing about stitching, it's fine when you're doing a completely static landscape but when anything in the frame is moving (bodies of water, branches, people, animals, etc) it's a pain in the ass.
08-19-2011, 04:51 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, folks, I sprung for the 15 from Amazon. Should arrive today! I will give it a go this weekend and if it is not what I'm looking for, I'll send it back.

I'm very excited, this is my first limited and I have heard so much about the lens. I know there is probably a learning curve, so I will keep that in mind.

If anyone has any tips or can point to any tips about using this particular lens, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks to all for helping me sort through this. I may have made the wrong decision but you never know until you try them out. Amazon is great for that, I just love their customer service.

08-19-2011, 05:47 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I may have made the wrong decision
I don't think you made a bad decision at all . If you are like me (i.e., you take pictures to relax and have fun) the DA 15 can't be beat! Most of the time I would never bring a wide with me unless it was as small as the DA 15, and other times (at parties, for example) I much prefer having a tiny little prime like the 15 than the 12-24 zoom swinging around the room!

Congrats
Attached Images

08-19-2011, 05:56 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, paperbag! The size is really attractive to me. Can't wait to try it out!

Been reading through the "15mm controls my mind" thread more closely and I don't think I can wait until I get home tonight to find my package!
08-19-2011, 06:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I guess I'm too late to influence you. I was going to ask: What do you plan to DO with what you shoot? Make prints or slideshows, or gaze at them on your computer screen, or what? I ask because with many types of presentation, minute differences in IQ just aren't noticeable. So quibbling over corner sharpness can be irrelevant. The main decision factors IMHO would be:

* Budget! How much do you want to spend to be happy?
* Comfort. How much do size and weight matter to you?
* Usability. Will the lens take you where you want to go?

I have a few wide lenses. The Zenitar 16/2.8 is faster than other fisheye zooms or UWA primes and defishes nicely to about 12mm equivalent -- but that wasn't wide enough for me, and I don't like defishing in many applications. The DA10-17 is very fishy wide, similar to the Zen but slower long, and like any FE is too specialized for general use. The Tamron 10-24 was my choice over either version of the Sigma 10-20 (of which I've heard much angst as well as love) or the much costlier DA12-24.

My copy of the Tamron is good optically, and gives me much more flexibility than a 15mm prime -- it's perfect for small spaces, inside and out, and is good for 'scapes at the long end. (My main 'scape lenses are all manual primes in the 21-24-28 range.) My absolute minimal kit would be the FA50/1.4 for low light and fast action, the Komine 28/2 CFWA for 'normal' seeing, the Tamron 10-24 for tight spaces, and the DA18-250 for everything else -- with the Raynox DCR-250 for getting close.

But you've made and acted on your decision. Great! Maybe you'll fall totally in love with the 15. And maybe you'll find later that a 10-20 or 10-24 or 12-24 is something that you need also. It could happen, eh?
08-19-2011, 06:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I guess I'm too late to influence you. I was going to ask: What do you plan to DO with what you shoot? Make prints or slideshows, or gaze at them on your computer screen, or what? I ask because with many types of presentation, minute differences in IQ just aren't noticeable. So quibbling over corner sharpness can be irrelevant. The main decision factors IMHO would be:

* Budget! How much do you want to spend to be happy?
* Comfort. How much do size and weight matter to you?
* Usability. Will the lens take you where you want to go?

I have a few wide lenses. The Zenitar 16/2.8 is faster than other fisheye zooms or UWA primes and defishes nicely to about 12mm equivalent -- but that wasn't wide enough for me, and I don't like defishing in many applications. The DA10-17 is very fishy wide, similar to the Zen but slower long, and like any FE is too specialized for general use. The Tamron 10-24 was my choice over either version of the Sigma 10-20 (of which I've heard much angst as well as love) or the much costlier DA12-24.

My copy of the Tamron is good optically, and gives me much more flexibility than a 15mm prime -- it's perfect for small spaces, inside and out, and is good for 'scapes at the long end. (My main 'scape lenses are all manual primes in the 21-24-28 range.) My absolute minimal kit would be the FA50/1.4 for low light and fast action, the Komine 28/2 CFWA for 'normal' seeing, the Tamron 10-24 for tight spaces, and the DA18-250 for everything else -- with the Raynox DCR-250 for getting close.

But you've made and acted on your decision. Great! Maybe you'll fall totally in love with the 15. And maybe you'll find later that a 10-20 or 10-24 or 12-24 is something that you need also. It could happen, eh?
I saw you had replied and I had a moment of anxiety! Oh no, RioRico is going to make me regret my decision!!!

You didn't!

I know you are a Tamron 10-24 fan. I have considered it as well, and now that the zoom is off the table for a while (presuming I keep the 15), I may consider it again in the future. Oh, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if I eventually end up with both the 15 and one of the wide zooms.

I enjoy my Samyang 8mm fisheye a lot, but I really wanted something less extreme. It's nice to have when you are in a really tight spot, though!

To answer your question, I mainly gaze at my photos on my computer screen. lol A few get printed out. I may share some with family from time to time, and I like to share with friends online if I get a good shot.

Since the cost was fairly close, I decided at this time to go with the smaller, lighter, easier to handle lens. I admit the draw of my first limited and the near legendary status of them was hard to resist.
08-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
buy the DA 15 for the right reasons - the size!
Exactly! That's why I bought it but it doesn't replace a 10-20mm type zoom. I have the 8-16mm and it has a very different application IMHO, you cannot really compare the two even if the zoom does 15mm too.

The DA 15mm has many other qualities than just size and weight: it takes the same 49mm filters as almost all Pentax primes (FA 31mm is an exception here), it focus closer than most WA zooms, has great flare resistance, has quick-shift.

But, if money is an issue, primes are usually not a great value, especially slow primes like the DA 15mm f/4. That's why many reviewers don't understand the lens. When they look at charts and numbers, there's actually no reason to get such a lens. It's when you're using it that you realize how its small footprint is enjoyable, especially on small cameras like the K-5 or the K-x.
08-19-2011, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA 15 is just plain fun to hold. In fact, in the evening I lounge on the couch with a glass of Merlot in one hand and the DA 15 in the other. My girlfriend can have the damn TV remote.
08-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The DA 15 is just plain fun to hold. In fact, in the evening I lounge on the couch with a glass of Merlot in one hand and the DA 15 in the other. My girlfriend can have the damn TV remote.
08-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL, thanks for the laugh, luftfluss!

In reading through the "mind control" thread, another nice advantage of this lens which I really appreciate has become apparent. It's flare resistance makes it a good lens to take out in the middle of the day.

I often find myself out shooting at the "wrong time" of day when the light isn't very good. I know nothing can really replace shooting during the "golden hour", but if this lens helps even a little in that respect, it will be a huge help for me.