Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
LOL, thanks for the laugh, luftfluss!

In reading through the "mind control" thread, another nice advantage of this lens which I really appreciate has become apparent. It's flare resistance makes it a good lens to take out in the middle of the day.

I often find myself out shooting at the "wrong time" of day when the light isn't very good. I know nothing can really replace shooting during the "golden hour", but if this lens helps even a little in that respect, it will be a huge help for me.
Don't forget to get an ND filter too. The amazing pictures seen in that "mind control" threat were mostly taken with an ND filter on. Here is another advantage of the DA15 is it takes 49mm filter while most UWA zoom lenses take 77mm filter which is much more expensive.

08-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, ducdao. Which ND filter do you recommend?

I know twitch uses those 10 stop ones. Do I need that much for normal shooting? I do have a fader nd filter but it's a 58mm filter and I don't think the step rings will work with this lens because of the hood, right?
08-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #33
Pentaxian

I know twitch uses those 10 stop ones. Do I need that much for normal shooting? I do have a fader nd filter but it's a 58mm filter and I don't think the step rings will work with this lens because of the hood, right?
Honestly - I don't know which one to recommend as I don't know what you intend to shoot. For me, I bought the 10 stops one. Not sure about the step ring but you might be right with the hood issue.
08-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Honestly - I don't know which one to recommend as I don't know what you intend to shoot. For me, I bought the 10 stops one. Not sure about the step ring but you might be right with the hood issue.
Thanks, I'll have to give it a try. If not, I'll have to get a new one, I guess. It's always something!

08-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well heck. After I was bragging on Amazon...

Got my DA 15. It was a Warehouse Deal and Amazon says they check every item to make sure they're in working order. Well, this baby can't autofocus. Just hunts and hunts. So, it goes back. I went ahead and ordered a new one and had it overnighted for $3.99 so it should arrive tomorrow.

That's what I get for trying to save a few bucks. Hope I have better luck tomorrow!
08-20-2011, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OKAY!! UPS brought me a working DA 15 this afternoon. Got a few shots and they aren't great by any means, but I can certainly see what is cool about this lens. Great contrast and colors straight out of the camera. Don't really need to do much PP at all, but I shoot RAW so I fiddled around anyway. Looking forward to learning the lens and maybe I will one day have something to contribute to the "mind control" thread. Here are a couple from my first few hours with this beauty....

(Obligatory sunburst shot warning!!!!)

08-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #37
Veteran Member

There is a work around for using the 58mm filter on the DA 15 but it might cause other problems imo. You can use an old glassless 49mm UV filter as a step ring to get past the hood that doesn't fully retract. And then use your step up ring to use your 58mm filter. But then you would want to use a screw lens hood imo.

I pondered this also since I'm getting ready to buy some new filters (today) and a DA 15 in the next couple of months. And I wanted to make sure they would work.

here's my thread where this was discussed https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/155950-da...trictions.html

edit - this question does get asked every month but the search isn't that great. However I might use google from now (good idea). Basically it comes down to size and common filter size for the DA15 vs the zoom range esp wider of the Sigma/Pentax/Tamron options. For me size and common fliter size easily win. It would be great to have a 10mm wide though.
08-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
There is a work around for using the 58mm filter on the DA 15 but it might cause other problems imo. You can use an old glassless 49mm UV filter as a step ring to get past the hood that doesn't fully retract. And then use your step up ring to use your 58mm filter. But then you would want to use a screw lens hood imo.

I pondered this also since I'm getting ready to buy some new filters (today) and a DA 15 in the next couple of months. And I wanted to make sure they would work.

here's my thread where this was discussed https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/155950-da...trictions.html

edit - this question does get asked every month but the search isn't that great. However I might use google from now (good idea). Basically it comes down to size and common filter size for the DA15 vs the zoom range esp wider of the Sigma/Pentax/Tamron options. For me size and common fliter size easily win. It would be great to have a 10mm wide though.
Thank you, abacus. That's a cool idea. So cool, I tried it out just now. Took a rock and broke out an old 49mm UV filter I wasn't using any more! (LOL, Im sure there's a more elegant way to do that!) I already had 49-52 and 52-58 step rings. I attached both of those and then the 58mm fader. The result: bad vignetting.

Maybe if I only had to use one 49-58 step ring it might work better. I think I will just get a new 49mm ND filter. As you said, it's a popular size for Pentax lenses, and will also work with the DA 35/2.4 I already have.

And thanks for the link, that's a very informative thread!

08-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Pentax 15mm prime vs Sigma 10-20

Doesn't anyone on this forum have the Tokina 11-16 f2.8? It is by all accounts a stunning wide angle.....or perhaps they don't make it in Pentax mount?
08-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Doesn't anyone on this forum have the Tokina 11-16 f2.8? It is by all accounts a stunning wide angle.....or perhaps they don't make it in Pentax mount?
And that's why.