Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ideal first limited lens?

LBA in full swing...was debating grabbing a limited lens, as I've heard and seen lots of good about most of them. is the DA 40MM a good "first" limited? I have in my kit thus far the 50mm 1.7, 50-200, kit 18-55 and the 10-17 fisheye...figured the 40 is a nice lens at a nice price, and since so far, the kit lens is used most frequently (a lot of pictures of my kids)...that the 40 might be a wise investment.

comments? suggestions?

11-27-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

if you can wait a bit, I might be able to post up some really decent wedding pictures I took with the DA40mm Limited and the Pentax AF540FGZ flash. It's hard to stay away from Pentax limited lenses once you get started :P

That being said, I think the DA21 or DA70 might be better, depending on what you want. The DA40mm is more like a mid telephoto lens in my opinion. So not really full telephoto, but not a wide angle either. Pretty okay for close ups and really framing the picture'.

If you plan to do a lot of walk around and scenery pictures, take the DA21. I"m using an SMC-M 28mm F2.8 right now for that (manual focus) and the wider angle is better for walking around and landscapes than the DA40.

If you plan to do portraits and closeups, the DA70 is hard to beat

That being said, I've gained a certain photographic style by using the DA40 Limited. I absolutely love this lens.

edit: have some pictures for demo (to show you what I've done with the DA40, and also the focal length of this bad boy).

This one is with flash.

Last edited by dugrant153; 11-27-2007 at 10:16 PM.
11-27-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, that is certainly the most economical way of getting into the limiteds. You might also think about the FA limiteds, which will almost certainly be discontinued before the DA limiteds are. The FA43 can be had for US$350 or so used these days. Just a thought.
11-28-2007, 01:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Spot on Finn, I started with the FA 43 as a top class near prime. Never having owned really good glass before I was blown away by the 43. Result, now have the 77 and the 31 is due this week. Expensive exercise but what the heck, IQ rules (and the kids have had enough).

My reason for going with the FA limited was that the lenses were world class in full frame mode and enjoy an additional sweet spot with a C class sensor. So if we ever see a FF pentax digital I am still in business.

Regards

David

11-28-2007, 07:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Using B&H prices and applying the rebates, the 40 comes to $215 and the 43 $360, new. As such these are great deals and the lowest cost ways to taste the Limiteds.

Myself, I bought the 43, for the faster aperture, and it really is fairly compact too. Plus, I can and have used it on my film bodies.

From looking at pictures and reading reviews, I think the two lenses have a bit of a different personality: the 40 is more 'even' and 'digital-y' while the 43 has a peak and more of an analog character. And I mean both as good things

As you already have the 50/1.7, perhaps the 40 gives you a bit more distance, focal length wise, and you don't need the speed of the 43. That said, I'm waiting for a Super Takumar 50/1.4 screw mount and am eager to see exactly the differences in perspective.
11-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was definetly looking at it as a budget way into the land of limiteds....but now I have a bit of a dilemma, I think.

I was playing with the 50 1.7 this morning, and either I have no idea what I am doing wrong (very possible), or it's a limitation of a manual lens on the dSLR, or something else entirely...but I was under the impression with it in manual, I would be able to change the aperture via the lens, or did I assume wrong? it seemed there was only one aperture point on the lens that would allow me to actually take a picture, and even when I left the lens in that setting, it wouldnt always allow a picture to be snapped. It was bought cheap/used off of ebay, so I am thinking maybe I got a bad deal (though I am not discounting me being clueless).

So I am debating either the DA 50, or the 40 for now. I don't know if I'd miss the 10mm difference or not, I am guessing not.....
11-28-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/32-can-...ist-ds-dl.html

and lots of other threads: you may not have all the menu options set right.

In general, how do you find the 50mm length on a DSLR? it's a 75mm equivalent. 40 would get you to 60... the 35/2 which also has a great rep is a '50mm' equivalent on a digital body.

11-28-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't used the 50 much...first time I went to use it, I forgot I had to set the menus up for it, so no pictures....once I got it done, I was playing with it, but Ill have to check to see if I missed other settings. But I am thinking I'd rather not have to tinker too much-I am all for good deals, but if a very well recieved lens (either the 50 or the 40) is not a huge investment (and I don't consider 200 to be a huge investment, given what has been spent already), and it gives me new, sharp glass without the menus....yea, I am a bit lazy . though part of it is, with my family (wife if i ever let her use it) and kids (the subject of the photos) if I missed a setting again, I could miss a picture. I'd rather not do that, so I think the digitial ones would be more forgiving to me in that respect.

i can't really say if I'd notice the difference between the 40 or the 50, simply because right now the 2 I've used most frequently are the 18-55 kit, and the 10-17 fisheye. Have not used the 50-200 all that much but I expect to do so next week on vacation.

decisions decisions.
11-28-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
I haven't used the 50 much...first time I went to use it, I forgot I had to set the menus up for it, so no pictures....once I got it done, I was playing with it, but Ill have to check to see if I missed other settings. But I am thinking I'd rather not have to tinker too much-I am all for good deals, but if a very well recieved lens (either the 50 or the 40) is not a huge investment (and I don't consider 200 to be a huge investment, given what has been spent already), and it gives me new, sharp glass without the menus....yea, I am a bit lazy . though part of it is, with my family (wife if i ever let her use it) and kids (the subject of the photos) if I missed a setting again, I could miss a picture. I'd rather not do that, so I think the digitial ones would be more forgiving to me in that respect.

i can't really say if I'd notice the difference between the 40 or the 50, simply because right now the 2 I've used most frequently are the 18-55 kit, and the 10-17 fisheye. Have not used the 50-200 all that much but I expect to do so next week on vacation.

decisions decisions.
JM, just a short observation about manual lenses and menus. Once you've set the menu to "allow aperture ring...permitted" you can forget about it, you don't have to play with the menus any more to use the lens. I am assuming that your 50 1.7 is the "A" model? If so it's a LOT simpler to just leave the lens in "A" and manipulate the aperture via the thumbwheel. If your lens is a fully manual one (either the K or the M) then of course you have to use the aperture ring. However you don't have to change the menu setting even if you slap a fully automatic lens on the camera. To be truthful I have no idea why the "permitted" option on the menu is not the default as it has no effect on auto lenses.

NaCl(if you knew all that I apologise)H2O
11-28-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
To be truthful I have no idea why the "permitted" option on the menu is not the default as it has no effect on auto lenses.
Isn't it so if your lens accidentally slips out of "A" you aren't surprised?

But on the original point: I have the 40mm Limited and love it. However, it's not really all that different a focal length from the 50mm you already have. You might want to look at something in a different range for that reason alone.

Last edited by mattdm; 11-28-2007 at 01:51 PM. Reason: oh yeah.
11-28-2007, 06:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i couldn't resist..got out of my data center earlier than planned and adorama was calling my name. so the 40 is now in my bag, still haven't played with it yet, but its only a matter of time.

i agree, its close to the 50, but i've begun to wonder if the ebay "used" deal wasn't such a good buy. we shall see. i think...or i hope....that my vacation next week will allow me to really take a few good pictures, using all of the lenses i have acquired.