Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2006, 06:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lens Filters

Does everybody use them? Should I get a UV lens filter and always use it? Any others?

09-15-2006, 07:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Does everybody use them? Should I get a UV lens filter and always use it? Any others?
Here is what I think:
- if you going to use one, get one that's good. no point putting a cheap (as in qaulity) piece of glass in front of a good expensive lens as it will degrade the qaulity of your photo
- some people use it to protect their lens but if you use lens hood all the time, then no need. However, if you are going to beach or other "risky" environment, yes put it on.

cheers
Kenny
09-15-2006, 08:04 AM   #3

That is exactly what I do: use one only in harsh conditions.
Toddlers with soiled fingers, that for some reason get attracted to the lens,
count as such elements:-)

With a really expensive lens (which I do not have, yet) I would buy a $80 filter thou.
09-15-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd rather be safe than sorry so I use filters on mine. Got a Quantaray on my kit lens and a B+W on my Sigma; still need to pick one up for my 50mm. I don't see any difference in photo quality so I'll keep using them for now.

09-15-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Toshi

QuoteOriginally posted by toshifumi Quote
I don't see any difference in photo quality so I'll keep using them for now.
My personal experience is different. On a few occassions I have seen either reflection and/or flare by using cheap quality UV filters. For example, just this week when I was testing my newly-acquired 2nd-hand fa28/2.8 I found that I got flare problem if used with the cheap filter that I got when purchasing another lens. Took the filter off and took the same shot again, no flare! So now in the middle of getting a new filter for it.

cheers
Kenny
09-15-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keeny, you may still get flare with a good filter unless you use a lens hood.

Last edited by Ole; 09-15-2006 at 09:02 PM.
09-15-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Ole

I thought that might have something to do with it too. So I have ordered a hood for it from B&H about 3 days ago, hopefully will be receiving it, with other stuff, on Monday!! =)

Kenny
09-15-2006, 08:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kjao Quote
Hi Toshi

My personal experience is different. On a few occassions I have seen either reflection and/or flare by using cheap quality UV filters. For example, just this week when I was testing my newly-acquired 2nd-hand fa28/2.8 I found that I got flare problem if used with the cheap filter that I got when purchasing another lens. Took the filter off and took the same shot again, no flare! So now in the middle of getting a new filter for it.

cheers
Kenny
Hi Kenny,
The Quantaray filter I have is about $20 and at certain angles when pointing in the general direction of the sun, I too noticed a little bit of flare, but nothing severe enough to make me want to take it off. As Ole pointed out, a hood helps out with that as well. On the other hand, the B+W filter was about $70 and you can really tell the difference in quality - it's top notch IMO

09-15-2006, 11:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I used to use them for protection, but I don't anymore.. For one my lenses are insured and two well I have had no issue to date anyway... It just causes flare/ghosting and reduced contrast, why pay for those great SMC coated lenses and waste that coating by putting a lower grade coated piece of glass on top...

I admit do have a couple of different sizes of UV filters that I use in harsh environments like walking around on rocks at the beach (very windy lot of salt spray) but that is the only time I use them...
09-18-2006, 06:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm slowly moving away from using them. I'd always used them, but I'm tending to use them more in harsher envionments now.

But I am finding that the polarizers seem to be on the lenses more now. Perhaps it's an inbred paranoia that something has the be on the end of the lens.
09-18-2006, 11:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I use a UV filter on all my lenses, mostly for protection (but I'm a clutz and definitely need it!). I like to keep them on all the time, just so I have one less thing to remember. I try to get the best filter I can afford. I recently got a polarizing filter and it makes a big difference when I am photographing things that have reflections (cars, water). It gives you the option of getting rid of the reflection if you want to. I also use a lens hood on sunny days.
09-18-2006, 05:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have made a couple of "Home Tests". For the moment they are posted at DPR. I also have posted about my findings about UV-filters. Some of you have allready seen that post, some may not. I hope it helps somewhat:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=19871654
I hope it can help somewhat.
--
regards,

Jonas
09-18-2006, 06:12 PM   #13
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Jonas for going through all that effort.
I'll now not even consider removing my filters!
09-29-2006, 10:05 PM   #14

When I bought my DA lenses (18-55mm and 50-20mm) which are 52mm threaded, I also bought a set of neutral density filters and a circular polarizer (and of course a UV filter). Then came the other lenses, with different thread sizes (49, 58, 60mm).
So, my question is the following: do you guys buy different filters for each thread size or do you use step-down/up rings? I presume that with a step-up ring there is no problem. How about step-down rings? Do they induce vigneting?
Any thoughts?

Robert
09-30-2006, 06:44 AM   #15
Site Supporter

With UV filters I buy 1 for each lense. I have 2 sizes of CP and use step up rings to fit. I use a filter system for effects and mount to the lens with step up rings.
Step down rings don't work very well.

Dana