Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2007, 08:39 AM   #1

Getting K100D super, which lens

Ok, I am getting a K100D super for Christmas. I am really excited. I am trying to decide if I should get the kit lens or not.
I have a Tamron 3.5-5.6 28-80mm that came with my ZX5n. I know that it will work with the new camera and will auto focus.
I am leaning on using the Tamron with the new camera and getting a 1.4 50 mm instead of the kit lens.

Any opinions? Photography is a hobby for me. I do on occassion shoot friends family pics. Mostly just kids, around the house stuff and some landscapes.

Thanks!

11-28-2007, 10:16 AM   #2

Hi!
When selecting the lens bear in mind that the field-of-view (FOV) on your 28-80 mm lens will correspond to FOV of a 43-122mm lens on a film body.
Therefore, if you like to do landscape photos, you will need something wider. The best value for money would be the kit lens (decent build quality, optically very good if you consider the price). The FOV of the kit is equivalent to 28-84mm on a film body. On this thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/14547-kit-lens...tml#post116119
you will find some samples what can be done with the kit lens
The 1.4/50 mm (fov as approx. 77mm on a film body) is an excellent lens but is more specialized (low light, portrait, .....) .
On my PBase site (switch to "original"size, and press F11 in your browser) you will also find some samples taken with 1.7/50mm, which is considered still a little bit better than the 1.4/50. You can compare them to the other pics.
I hope to have been of help.
11-28-2007, 10:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get the kit lens. It really is a GREAT lens for the money. Yes it has a few faults, but I think that it's value is underrated. It's the best bang for the buck lens in my bag. There is a big difference in the field of view from an 18mm lens and the field of view from 24mm one.
I own both the kit lens and the FA 50 F1.4, and both are great lenses. I just think that the kit lens is more versitile, and a decent performer, and considering the cost, an excellent value.

NaCl(the kit lens is one of a few that is always in my bag)H2O