Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I think this was previously listed with a higher price. The current price is not outrageous but it's definitely not in "very good condition"; more like "filter ring gone, probably shattered when dropped".

PENTAX K-RICOH XR-P LENSE | eBay
he has had that piece of junk up forever. I could be confusing it with another auction but I think at one point he had it bundled with what might have been only 1 section of a lens or perhaps a teleconverter with mount ripped off?

08-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From his ebay listing: "The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended." ROFL!
08-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Then there is the after the auction fun. I recently got a lens sped media mail. It's a good thing it didn't get inspected. I probably would have paid the shipping due and fought it out with the seller if it did. It was a vivitar 100-300mm 5.0 constant. I didn't really care about the lens but wanted the tx-pk adapter. I got both for about 2/3 what the adapter normally sells for. The glass was nice enough though it had some dust. Medium paint loss (not really bad but defiantly used looking). I guess thats what passes for "like new".

I just scored a "kalimar zoom macro lens macro 1:4 part 98????" minutes ago that was actually a 80-200 4.5-5.6 (I would be really mad had I thought I was going to get an f4.0 constant). Honestly, I don't care what it is (it's got a high chance of being a parts donor lens). I paid 1$ + 5.50 shipping and if nothing else, I need donor mounts.

Last edited by ripit; 08-22-2011 at 10:30 PM.
08-23-2011, 04:28 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I think this was previously listed with a higher price. The current price is not outrageous but it's definitely not in "very good condition"; more like "filter ring gone, probably shattered when dropped".

PENTAX K-RICOH XR-P LENSE | eBay
Oh man, I wouldn't even allow that piece of crud on my desktop as a paperweight.

08-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

One listing practice that is really annoying me is saying you know nothing about cameras and lenses and think that it justifies any lie or inaccuracy you want in the listing. It doesn't justify listing something in ok quality as perfect or like new or mint. Here is a guy that apparently recently inherited a lot of camera equipment (apparently hundreds and hundreds of pieces that he has been selling with this excuse for at least a year).
eBay My World - zisidog
I have actually been interested in a few things he has had but I gather anything is going to be 2-3 levels poorer condition than described. I'm sorry, but the tired old excuse of I know nothing about camera equipment doesn't work anymore if you are selling hundreds and hundreds of pieces of camera gear. Its not like he is a huge power seller selling lots of other stuff. Most of what he sells seems to be camera gear. If you are selling that much camera equipment, you should probably try to learn a thing or two. Some of the sellers that I have bought from that honestly seemed to know nothing, have been extremely helpful in messaging and try to do their best, rather than try to hide things.

I'm trying to decide what kind of feedback to leave on a wrongly described lens right now. The lens mount wasn't listed (I know it was t4 or tx and was gambling it was k mount based on the blurry picture). I knew there was a little paint loss based on the picture. Glass was a bit dirty in the picture (not bad but even a little dirt and dust makes it hard to see problems on glass). The lens was described as like new!!! I found a tiny dead bug in the threads inside (side of the barrel). There is a little dust inside. I found what looks like a tiny spot of fungus near the edge. There are some other tiny spots inside (they didn't look like fungus but after finding some, I'm not so sure). These imperfections inside on the glass are small and not too awfully many (the glass looks good unless you start examining closer and tilting to get reflection). I don't think there are any issues that would effect image quality. Still, like new? He gave the standard claim about knowing nothing about cameras and lenses. Do you have to to know that not like new?
I'm not mad about it (what I really wanted was the adapter and it did turn out to be a tx-pk adapter). Its good enough for what I paid (though a little on the higher end of its value due to the condition). I'm considering dinging at least some stars for the inaccurate description (not like new by any measure and you don't have to know about cameras to see that). I hate to turn into someone that gives bad feedback but there are too many listings like this. Then again maybe I should leave well enough alone. The bad listings give us some of the best deals (don't want to kill the idiot sellers that list terribly). I wish I could tell for sure which were intentionally listing better or hiding stuff. I would think at least them would deserve bad feedback.
08-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"How hard can it be" - to tell the difference between f2 and f1.2 - seriously

heres another one. they use the wrong template and then say that ebay wont let them change it.
Pentax SMC 50 mm F/1.2 Lens For Pentax | eBay

Last week I thought I'd found a Sigma 100-300 f4 .. no.. another dope listing a crappy 100-300 f4.5 -6.7
08-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member

That one looks quite intentional to me as it is typed into the description top and bottom. I don't ever trust what it says on the listing about aperture unless I see it on the lens myself in a pic. I have seen even the most professional listings with great pics and description list just the first value (I'm sorry but 2.8 is not the same as 2.8-3.8, and if the pic doesn't show it or if the buyer misses it elsewhere in the listing you misled them). I have seen plenty that have some obscure number that is not a common aperture (first sign it's wrong).
Here is one that lists 2.8 in the description, 4.5 in the item specifics, and 2.8-4 on the actual lens pic.
CANON F1 MOUNT SIGMA 35~70 ZOOM 2.8 PERFECT GLASS SMOTH | eBay

08-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've sworn off from EBay, as a buyer and a seller. Too much hassle with too much potential for disappointment. I have had great experiences with PentaxForum's marketplace. I've had zero problems either as a buyer or seller. I've also noticed that the price difference between EBay and KEH is very small or non-existent, plus KEH gives you a warrantee.
08-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
That one looks quite intentional to me as it is typed into the description top and bottom. I don't ever trust what it says on the listing about aperture unless I see it on the lens myself in a pic. I have seen even the most professional listings with great pics and description list just the first value (I'm sorry but 2.8 is not the same as 2.8-3.8, and if the pic doesn't show it or if the buyer misses it elsewhere in the listing you misled them). I have seen plenty that have some obscure number that is not a common aperture (first sign it's wrong).
Here is one that lists 2.8 in the description, 4.5 in the item specifics, and 2.8-4 on the actual lens pic.
CANON F1 MOUNT SIGMA 35~70 ZOOM 2.8 PERFECT GLASS SMOTH | eBay
Maybe you need to lay off of ebay. At 35mm it IS f2.8. Period. You can see in the pictures it is not a constant aperture zoom and yet you want to bitch that he may be trying to rip someone off somehow. You've made many posts in this and other threads making those same statements. Any boob who looks at the photos of a 50mm f2.0 lens, and believes it is a 1:1.2 (a VERY common error with listing that lens) deserves to be parted from his cash. I've even seen that lens listed as an f2.8. You make Far too many assumptions about peoples intent here. Even with your Zoom, you Clearly saw, it was NOT 'like new' and yet you bought it anyway and are now debating 'dinging' the guys feedback for the description. The Pictures are Part of the description. Can't make them out? Ask to see better ones. Fact is, Everyone has the opportunity to ask questions before bidding. You have come here several times bitching that you didn't get what you expected, even for $1 plus shipping. How many questions did you Ask before placing your sniper bids? I'd wager none. The listings 'item specifics' and 'product details' are generic ones that ebay provides for sellers if they choose to use them and they are often wrong. A little bit of buyer beware and personal knowledge of what you are buying, goes a Long way with ebay.

People buy these camera lots at estate sales and the like. When you see something listed that is clearly a description of the filter mounted, again, you are free to ask questions about it. You don't however, in the hopes, of picking up a bargain from an uneducated seller, Right? You don't want to tip them off that it may be that once in a lifetime bargain gem, Correct?

The Worse ebay'rs are the ones who continually make assumptions about intent and then run around complaining about and even Naming, others in hopes of spreading their dissatisfaction.

08-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Sorry about making an issue about people listing things poorly in a thread about people listing things poorly. I guess it was out of place. Its ok to list a 2.8-4.0 as a 2.8 in 2 places and a 4.5 in another place. It't not like there are actually 35-70mm 2.8 constant lenses that it might be mistaken for and we just shouldn't worry about the 4.5 typo. If someone misses it and buys it, its the buyers fault for not looking at the listing better. They deserve to be parted with their cash. I never said that they are all crooks misleading people to rip them off by the way (some are but many are not). Intentional or not, it can misled the buyer. That one looked like it might be more intentional as the same wrong info was typed in twice, but who knows?

As far as the zoom, yea I knew from the pictures it had some paint wear. I didn't know about the spot of fungus or the dead bug or various minor issues. I guess its ok to list it like new because I should look at the pictures closely and see that it is not. I should know from those issues that others will exists and should not have an issue when they are discovered. I was overall happy enough with that lens and already planed on leaving good feedback. I might give 4 stars on description which I guess makes me a horrible person. What really make me so despicable that I don't deserve the air I breath is that I might give 3 or 4 stars on shipping as he sent it media mail (fraud is ok too, right). I did refrain from asking if it was k-mount because even though the picture was blurry, I looked a lot like it. I in fact didn't want the info driving the price up. Had it not been k mount, I would not have held it against the seller as he never said it was (got a minolta mount recently gambling and gave all 5 stars as the seller never promised a particular mount and the lens was as described).

As far as one described as a filter, the last one I bought like that was given good feedback and 5 stars across the board (one of the best purchases I made off ebay). Looking at messages I sent the seller 5 messages before the auction ended (there wasn't enough info in the auction or pics to make a gamble worth it).

I guess I'm coming across as all burnt on ebay. I have decided to give every seller 5 stars and good feedback. It's the only fair and decent thing to do. Out of maybe 50 camera lenses (not all slr type) and maybe 50 other camera related items over the last few months, I have left 2 bad feedback and 1 neutral. I haven't really dinged stars much (if it was good enough for good feedback then I just gave good feedback). I now feel ashamed of myself for even contemplating dinging a star here or there when something was incorrect and I can not believe I had the nerve to ask others what feedback they would give a couple of times. I should instinctively know that all sellers get top feedback regardless an apologize about asking others their opinion.
I promise to rethink my behavior and won,t ask others there opinion just in case it's something I should have instinctively known. sorry.

Fyi I didn't post names or listings of any sellers I bought from so they are not sellers I was dissatisfied with. I was curious how fast I could come up with a listing that was wrong (about 1 min to find that canon one). The other was one I have thought about buying from but haven't as he seems questionable.
08-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
Sorry about making an issue about people listing things poorly in a thread about people listing things poorly. I guess it was out of place. Its ok to list a 2.8-4.0 as a 2.8 in 2 places and a 4.5 in another place. It't not like there are actually 35-70mm 2.8 constant lenses that it might be mistaken for and we just shouldn't worry about the 4.5 typo. If someone misses it and buys it, its the buyers fault for not looking at the listing better. They deserve to be parted with their cash. I never said that they are all crooks misleading people to rip them off by the way (some are but many are not). Intentional or not, it can misled the buyer. That one looked like it might be more intentional as the same wrong info was typed in twice, but who knows?

As far as the zoom, yea I knew from the pictures it had some paint wear. I didn't know about the spot of fungus or the dead bug or various minor issues. I guess its ok to list it like new because I should look at the pictures closely and see that it is not. I should know from those issues that others will exists and should not have an issue when they are discovered. I was overall happy enough with that lens and already planed on leaving good feedback. I might give 4 stars on description which I guess makes me a horrible person. What really make me so despicable that I don't deserve the air I breath is that I might give 3 or 4 stars on shipping as he sent it media mail (fraud is ok too, right). I did refrain from asking if it was k-mount because even though the picture was blurry, I looked a lot like it. I in fact didn't want the info driving the price up. Had it not been k mount, I would not have held it against the seller as he never said it was (got a minolta mount recently gambling and gave all 5 stars as the seller never promised a particular mount and the lens was as described).

As far as one described as a filter, the last one I bought like that was given good feedback and 5 stars across the board (one of the best purchases I made off ebay). Looking at messages I sent the seller 5 messages before the auction ended (there wasn't enough info in the auction or pics to make a gamble worth it).

I guess I'm coming across as all burnt on ebay. I have decided to give every seller 5 stars and good feedback. It's the only fair and decent thing to do. Out of maybe 50 camera lenses (not all slr type) and maybe 50 other camera related items over the last few months, I have left 2 bad feedback and 1 neutral. I haven't really dinged stars much (if it was good enough for good feedback then I just gave good feedback). I now feel ashamed of myself for even contemplating dinging a star here or there when something was incorrect and I can not believe I had the nerve to ask others what feedback they would give a couple of times. I should instinctively know that all sellers get top feedback regardless an apologize about asking others their opinion.
I promise to rethink my behavior and won,t ask others there opinion just in case it's something I should have instinctively known. sorry.

Fyi I didn't post names or listings of any sellers I bought from so they are not sellers I was dissatisfied with. I was curious how fast I could come up with a listing that was wrong (about 1 min to find that canon one). The other was one I have thought about buying from but haven't as he seems questionable.
So now you're calling out sellers you've never Dealt with? Interesting tactic used to prove a point. As for the rest of your post, I'm glad you understood the message.

I've been on ebay for 14 years and only Once have I felt the need to ding a seller. That was Only because they never sent the item. Your frequency of such and posting about it here, shows me all I need to know. Please post YOUR ebay ID so I can add you to the blocked list. I would have responded earlier but I was out sending items to people who purchased them, On ebay, After asking questions.

08-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I guess the others posting links in this thread were either getting back at someone they bought from or are using "Interesting tactic used to prove a point". The thread was about bad listings on ebay and myself as well as others posted some examples. You act like its some grand conspiracy to target and destroy these sellers rather than to post some examples of bad listings. The fact that you defend sellers like this makes me wonder about your selling practices. If people trusted ebay more you would probably get more money for your items, unless you are a seller like this. If you are not, then they are not doing you any service.
As far as my frequency of postings, I see 14 posts over the last few months. Two were along these lines. One was titled "bad ebay purchase, what would you do"? The other was "what ebay feedback to leave". Each centered mostly around one of the two bad purchases that I gave bad feedback for (2 out of around 100 photo related purchases). Most sellers got all 5 stars from me. Seems like I was interested in others opinion rather than trying to trash sellers and ebay. If you feel I should be lenient and understanding with sellers, then why not say so. Attacking without provocation isn't going to make me take your point of view seriously (unless one of those listings was your or you list items like this and then I guess we did provoke you). All it does is reenforces the image that sellers may be like this (defending poor or misleading listings).
My first ebay purchase of an slr lens and the first manual lens I ever owned was about 4 months (and there have been many since). That is why I asked such questions (new to heavy ebaying and new to a buying category that contains many questionable listings). It would make sense that there would be problems as a large number of listings are for 20-30 year old items, and lack of availability makes a lot more of the yard sale variety show up. I guess its wrong to discuss such problems though. We should always do what best for the seller (I can see how you would side with sellers as you are one I guess, but this is a thread of buyers about our side of it). You can give the other side of it in a rational manner where people might listen to your opinion, or you can attack. I guess you are choosing the latter.
Closed Thread