Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2007, 02:13 PM   #1

Wide angle dilemma

I have enjoyed taking pictures at the wide angle of the kit lens, and I think it is time for an upgrade. I was thinking about the 21mm limited, but after reading that it isn't the very dramatic wide angle (since it is 31.5mm relative) I'd thought about going for the DA14mm instead, as I'd heard it was almost a limited in several reviews and user postings. Then of course I considered the 12-24 f/4. While 1 stop slower than the 14, and 1/2 stop slower than the 21, it encompasses a very wide angle, and seems very versatile.

I was discussing all of this with my wife, and talking about the prices, and she asked a question that I haven't been able to answer, so I turn to the forums. Would you rather have the DA14mm AND DA21mm lenses OR the DA12-24mm zoom? That is probably what my decision comes down to.

I know the combined price of the primes is about $250 more than the zoom, and even a bit more than the DA*16-50, but I think from what I've read, I'd probably rather get the 12-24 and then fill in somewhere else, with a sigma 24-70f/2.8 or perhaps the tamron 28-75 f/2.8 of which I've read great things.

Thanks for all input

-Dan

11-28-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dsimon Quote
I was discussing all of this with my wife, and talking about the prices, and she asked a question that I haven't been able to answer, so I turn to the forums. Would you rather have the DA14mm AND DA21mm lenses OR the DA12-24mm zoom? That is probably what my decision comes down to.
Dan

It is really hard to advise what is right for you.

I personally bought the sigma 10-20 and love it,

I have used it all through the range of focal lengths.

The real question, and you need to answer that is, Is 14mm wide enough, or do you want more.

As I said, I have used my sigma 10-20 through the entire range, and as a result, now that I have it, I woudl find 14mm somewhat limiting.

You need to try both the 12-24 and the 14mm, and think about it a little. In the end, no one other than you will know if you willbe happy with the two primes, or the zoom.

Consider the range of zoom, and the speed (or loss of with a zoom) and go for it.
11-28-2007, 02:42 PM   #3

The Sigma 10-20 EX highly recommended - Images

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Dan

It is really hard to advise what is right for you.

I personally bought the sigma 10-20 and love it,

I have used it all through the range of focal lengths.

Consider the range of zoom, and the speed (or loss of with a zoom) and go for it.
I agree totally with Lowell, my Sigma 10-20 EX is well used, and sharp as well. I shoot a lot of cityscapes, inside of old buildings etc, and the occasional group pics, it does the job.

These shots in this link were taken with the 10-20, in a laneway in Melbourne noted for it's graffiti.

Graffiti in Hosier Lane

These, the majority were shot with the K10D and the Sigma 10-20 EX, hand held all of them in a dim cathedral. Says a lot for the combination and SR. Not perfect, but neither were the conditions, not cool to set up a tripod or use multiple flashes.

St. Pauls Cathedral

Phil
11-28-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep I agree with Lowell ,no one can asnwer your question(s), but we can offer what we did given the same question(s).

I went for the 12-24 I considered the Sigma 10-20 - took a few shots with it , in the shop , compared it to the 12-24 and choose the later. I can't and won't say one is better than the other , or the primes are better - define 'better' For me I just liked the feel of the 12-24 better (the 10-20 was a little less $$ even).

Again for me the convience of a zoom is an important factor as you can see from my sig and list of lens. I only have one prime . The only other prime I am considering or would consider so far is the 85mm that a few pictures were posted a while ago they looked spectacular.

When I go out for a shoot I like to change lens as little as possible. Wide angle usually is a landscape so time is not a factor again just personal preference. Also for me I can carry all my lens and I cover a range from 12-500mm in basically 3 lens.

I also have the Tamron 28-75 it is a stellar lens. I did find for me 28mm was not quite wide enough , thus the 12-24 purhcase.

Good Luck

11-29-2007, 08:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
Lowell, Phil, and Dave- Thanks for your thoughts. I honestly had not considered the Sigma 10-20, I will have to give that a look.

Lowell- thanks... it is excellent advice that I simply overlooked... I just need to do what I did when deciding on a camera... go hold it in my hands and try it out - k10d won that battle rather easily, so we should see who wins this battle to be in my kit...

Phil- those pictures were great, I was in Europe a few years ago and remember the challenges of taking pictures in cathedrals... all I had was a pretty slow Olympus super-zoom, and less of an idea of photography. Not a great combo

Dave- I think when the dust settles for me, I'll have a kit that looks similar to yours, so I appreciate that input as well.
11-29-2007, 08:49 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax bodies I aquired because i could use PENTAX lenses on them not the other way arround, So I see no reason at all to buy a third party lens. OK there are some good ones but considered all there is no lens like a Pentax lens.

Most of these are made with the SMC pentax FA* 24/2.

Sanne & Sien/

Its a very versatile wide angle (has an equivalent of 36mm) has F2 and an amazing quality.

Later I go for a 14 or 16 mm bot so far I have not missed them.

Guido