Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It depends so much on what you want to shoot and how much you are willing to carry. I would consider the Tamron or Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 - both have excellent image quality, the Sigma likely has faster auto-focus. A 70-210mm f2.8, as Adam suggests, would be great if you don't mind carrying one. The DA50-200 would be a low cost, low weight alternative, but IQ is not quite as good, and of course, there's the maximum aperture. If you want wider than 17mm, Id consider the Sigma 8-16, a dandy lens.

08-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
Hmmm... My suggestion would be get the 15mm, and instead of 21mm get the 55mm. Or better yet, get the 16-50mm or the 12-24mm for wider focal length (good for nature, landscape, documentary, and sports especially skate). And get a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens from Sigma or Tamron. Great for sports and other fields. It would be great if you get the Pentax 80-200mm 2.8 but hard to find, and usually it's over-priced. Cheers!
By the way, it's good to know that you choose to use a Pentax systems! =)
ok im diggin the 12 - 24, could be a dedicated skate and video lense, for those who suggested a ling lense with skate photography your in the mix side by side or trailing behind no more than a couple feet away if that... so much great advice but wow is this making it easier for me... lookin at the 12 - 24 for a dedicated skate/film lense, thinking the 15mm 21mm and 40mm for my walk arounds, those were the lengths i loved my pre military days, and i have no clue what would be good for wildlife photos, like for taking pics of animals in trees... a lot of zoom advice i guess ill research... and coming mid oct when i get my severance pay ill post up mykit for all to gander...
08-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
It depends so much on what you want to shoot and how much you are willing to carry. I would consider the Tamron or Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 - both have excellent image quality, the Sigma likely has faster auto-focus. A 70-210mm f2.8, as Adam suggests, would be great if you don't mind carrying one. The DA50-200 would be a low cost, low weight alternative, but IQ is not quite as good, and of course, there's the maximum aperture. If you want wider than 17mm, Id consider the Sigma 8-16, a dandy lens.
everything i get i will not be carrying with me all the time... different places will require different gear kinda tried to outline my different situations, wont be bringing my skates to the amazon with me next green season so wont need my skate lense. wont be shooting monkeys while skating so wont need my zoom, wont be doing either while taking candids in the ghettos of the bay so i'll have my primes... but i travel with a big back pack so i think 3 primes on hand, and the 12 - 24 and a nice zoom stashed away would be good for those long back packing trips around the world, got a few planned for the next 4 summers and springs..
08-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok im settling with the 12 - 24, DA 21 & 40, and still researching this zoom lense i see a lot of old 70 - 210 but not the ones that were mentioned... im seeing some nice ones for the nikons and canons... but cant seem to locate the pentax ones...

08-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out the lenses used for skate video in this clip pentaxian1's Channel - YouTube
08-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also you might want to think about a fisheye lens for skate videos/pictures too
08-22-2011, 12:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Na imma rollerblader... fisheye lenses were popular in the 90s, no body uses them anymore but skateboarders who also lack progression and innovation... rollerblade films are filmed with another rollerblader who skates right next to the skater being filmed, but you wear a larger smoother wheel base and faster smoother bearings, like a human tripod. reason why you dont see rollerbladingg in xgames anymore except for the camera men. rollerblading would steal the show and companies would loose all the money they invested in sean white and travis pastrana, and thats a true story...
08-22-2011, 12:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I used to own rollerbaldes, back in the 90's but thats another story!....

08-22-2011, 12:28 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so from other bladers i talk to who film said i should stick to prime aince i'll be doing all the zooming in out through the speed control of my skating... looks like all the limited da primes im gonna get... imma wait on my zoom and do a lot more studying in wildlife photography and make sure i get the right lense, those good zooms are expensive dont wanna buy the wrong one... also picking up a mac air, lense is more than a brand new mac lol...
08-22-2011, 12:33 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The latest advice given is the best. Get the kit lens and either the 55-300 or go straight to the sigma 70-210 (big aperture for sports photos). And then find out how the equipment is limited you. Imo there is no such thing as being set as far as equipment goes.

and be sure that you're budgeting enough because photography is a money pit. You'll be buying camera bags, tripods, macro lenses, cool filters (like a 10 stop ND), etc... And before you know it you'll have spent WAY MORE than expected. And you'll be loving it.
08-22-2011, 12:33 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I used to own rollerbaldes, back in the 90's but thats another story!....
lol... rollerblading was huge in the 90s, now its a forgotten sport that lives on through a small number of super humans... the hd videos now are of such high quality with extremely innovative camera angles it would make hollywood directors jaws drop, rollerblades attatched to human = best tripod ever... another reason for a pentax, durability, rocks are a skaters worst nightmare lol...
08-22-2011, 12:41 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
The latest advice given is the best. Get the kit lens and either the 55-300 or go straight to the sigma 70-210 (big aperture for sports photos). And then find out how the equipment is limited you. Imo there is no such thing as being set as far as equipment goes.

and be sure that you're budgeting enough because photography is a money pit. You'll be buying camera bags, tripods, macro lenses, cool filters (like a 10 stop ND), etc... And before you know it you'll have spent WAY MORE than expected. And you'll be loving it.
well actually imma photography school drop out, ran off to war like everyother lost male in america... the primes cover the range i like to shoot at at portability and being discreet is a must for me... i plan on being one of those street photographers all up in peoples business lol... but like i said i def need a good zoom for wildlife photography and i know nothing about since the great outdoors was just introduced to this suburban city kid when he joined the airforce and moved to the swamps... and if it wasnt for the pentax primes id be hittin up nikon, but i need tiny...
08-22-2011, 12:43 AM   #28
Pentaxian

For video, just think of a stereo microfoon or a monogunmic. Like Rode, but there are more brands. Also for video some led light block. They don't have to be expensive (look into dealextreme).

Don't buy the 50-200mm, it isn't a very good lens. I have 60-250mm, but as said, it is heavy and expensive and misses a lightstop. So considdering 70-200mm/f2.8 is a good option. DA*50-135mm is very nice lens for portrait and light enough to travel.

Looking at primes then a step of 100% is very big. 15mm, 21mm, 31mm, 40mm, 55mm, 85mm are good steps to take. Think of it, when going from 21mm to 40mm is almost 100 %, so cropping down from a 21mm shot to the 40mm view means cutting out pixels and going from 16 megapixel to a small 4 megapixel (when you don't have the option to move around).

Very important is that you don't spend al the money at once! Just buy some key-items. Work with them and then extend your gear according to your working way.

I started out in januari 2009 with K20D with grip, DA*16-50mm and DA*50-135mm, photoshop elements 7 and a notebook. None of those items are left over. Over the time I changed my way of working and according to that I purchased new items and sold the old ones. It is just workinggear.

I say:
buy K-5 with 15mm (if you like real wide), 40mm, DA*50-135 (for portrait), 70-200mm/f2.8 (for sports or DA*60-250mm), microfoon and a flash. On the wildlife, either a DA*300mm or look into the Sigma segment, but it is not my field.
08-22-2011, 12:53 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
well actually imma photography school drop out, ran off to war like everyother lost male in america... the primes cover the range i like to shoot at at portability and being discreet is a must for me... i plan on being one of those street photographers all up in peoples business lol... but like i said i def need a good zoom for wildlife photography and i know nothing about since the great outdoors was just introduced to this suburban city kid when he joined the airforce and moved to the swamps... and if it wasnt for the pentax primes id be hittin up nikon, but i need tiny...
All I'm saying is use the cheap kit lens to find out which primes you would like. Unless of course you plan on buying them all. And that would be awesome. Primes rule.

However the good news is that if you buy a lens and don't like it then you can sell it for at least 80% of price.
08-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
All I'm saying is use the cheap kit lens to find out which primes you would like. Unless of course you plan on buying them all. And that would be awesome. Primes rule.

However the good news is that if you buy a lens and don't like it then you can sell it for at least 80% of price.
thinking imma buy the 15, 21, 40, and 70... sounds just right for me, and today will be researching wildlife lenses, only sports ill be shooting is skating so zoom lense isnt needed... maybe later...