Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
thinking imma buy the 15, 21, 40, and 70... sounds just right for me, and today will be researching wildlife lenses, only sports ill be shooting is skating so zoom lense isnt needed... maybe later...
Since your a photo school dropout, you prolly know more than others just getting into the game. The 15, 21, 40, 70 is a good sequence. I've got 21, 35, 40, 70 myself and one day will get the 15.

FWIW, I think the Macbook Airs max out at 4Gb RAM. If you're doing a lot of video, that's not enough. You may want to look at the Macbook Pros.

And have you considered a first person camera like the GoPro?

08-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lol... rollerblading was huge in the 90s, now its a forgotten sport that lives on through a small number of super humans... the hd videos now are of such high quality with extremely innovative camera angles it would make hollywood directors jaws drop, rollerblades attatched to human = best tripod ever... another reason for a pentax, durability, rocks are a skaters worst nightmare lol...
Links to the videos please?
08-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Links to the videos please?
kinda impossible, everything that is HD by the pros can only be seen by purchasing the dvdsor bluerays, you can see trailors of valo4life (beautiful movie showing the small community) shred till your dead (shot entirely for blueray) game theory... i think shred til your dead is now freeon youtube and vimeo... search powerblading the only two videos on vimeo and youll see HD and the human tripod from in action, all shot with dslr nikons and canons... i found out the rollerblade films were shot with a pentax k5..
08-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #34

thinking imma buy the 15, 21, 40, and 70... sounds just right for me, and today will be researching wildlife lenses, only sports ill be shooting is skating so zoom lense isnt needed... maybe later...
One reason for Pentax is the availability of quality prime lenses. Yours is approximately the same set I use; 31/77 limited instead of 40/70. I have the 50-135mm, but rarely carry it since I bought the 77mm.

For wildlife and birds, the quality of a 300mm prime really shines. I traveled with 70-300mm on Nikon, but mostly used the ends, and found f/5.6 a little slow. For a couple of decades lens designers have been really good at tele-primes in terms of bokeh and detail. I love the images I get from pro-glass at 300mm, and I'm extremely happy with the F300mm f/4.5. Same size as the 50-135mm, and a bit lighter than the DA300mm f/4 which is surely a good option.

08-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Is a K5 really the best option for video? Yes, it has HD video but it's a still camera first and video is a secondary objective.

I think a K5 and 5 ltd's sounds awesome but i think you are a little too eager to spend money fast on this hobby.
08-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
FWIW, I think the Macbook Airs max out at 4Gb RAM. If you're doing a lot of video, that's not enough. You may want to look at the Macbook Pros.
Although it is super-light for school, the Macbook air doesn't quite have the oomph for photo & video. I find my macbook from a couple years ago too slow. I have heard that the new macbook pros are sufficient.
08-22-2011, 08:49 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
Is a K5 really the best option for video? Yes, it has HD video but it's a still camera first and video is a secondary objective.

I think a K5 and 5 ltd's sounds awesome but i think you are a little too eager to spend money fast on this hobby.
na movies are for personal use only, wont be doing no high quality filming with it, if i was id get a 7D, just trying to document my adventures for memories... Im going to school for journalism and i know first hand what happens wirh a big lense camera, ive snatched quite a bit of expensive gear from journalist taking pictures of things they shouldnt of seen in the first place. I was special ops in tge air force as a mechanic on cargos i went everywhere and seen everything. ive seen a lot of journalist get pointed out cause there huge lenses...

08-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For telephoto zooms, if you plan to get a 70-210, it's better to get the 70-200 constant 2.8. Here's my suggestion for "ultimate" walk-around telephoto zoom lens for wildlife, the Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm f/4-6.3. hehe. Not the fastest lens, but still a very good lens. =)
Here are some samples from Sigma's "Bigma": http://flickrhivemind.net/flickr_hvmnd.cgi?search_type=Tags&photo_number=50&...ut=sigma+bigma

Last edited by richard balonglong; 08-22-2011 at 10:13 AM.
08-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
im liking that sigma bigma... like an all purpose assault rifle for pictures... def looks like a future purchase...
08-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #40
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Since your a photo school dropout, you prolly know more than others just getting into the game. The 15, 21, 40, 70 is a good sequence. I've got 21, 35, 40, 70 myself and one day will get the 15.

And have you considered a first person camera like the GoPro?
The other issue with Macbook Airs is that they don't have much builtin storage. When shooting RAW and especially video, even 500 GB is not a lot. The 13" Air maxes out at 256GB (solid state == FAST). I love macs, but I think for serious photo/video work I'd definitely go with a Pro over an Air. Better yet, pick up one of those sweet-arse iMacs and get an Air as a portable extension.
08-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #41
Veteran Member

im liking that sigma bigma... like an all purpose assault rifle for pictures... def looks like a future purchase...
Are you aware that it's HUGE!?!?! More like an M1 or M60 than an Uzi. I have its little bro, the Lil'Bigma APO DG 170-500, weighs 1270g / 2.8lb. The Bigma is over 1.5lbs heavier: 1960g / 4.3+lb. That's noticeable after a while, believe me. Bring a tripod. Or use a little 500mm mirror, more like an M79 than an assault rifle.
08-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jason 407 Quote
The other issue with Macbook Airs is that they don't have much builtin storage. When shooting RAW and especially video, even 500 GB is not a lot. The 13" Air maxes out at 256GB (solid state == FAST). I love macs, but I think for serious photo/video work I'd definitely go with a Pro over an Air. Better yet, pick up one of those sweet-arse iMacs and get an Air as a portable extension.
ya i saw that when lookin at them...prolly go mac book pro... i heard they last a lot longer, im outta the loop on these things my whole time in military no comp or cable tv, this will be my first comp purchase in years. 5 pounds aint nothin no diff than an m16... im pretty fit and strong... but imma rent some lenses and see whats best for me, thats a big purchase and i wanna test drive first.
08-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Na imma rollerblader... fisheye lenses were popular in the 90s, no body uses them anymore but skateboarders who also lack progression and innovation... rollerblade films are filmed with another rollerblader who skates right next to the skater being filmed, but you wear a larger smoother wheel base and faster smoother bearings, like a human tripod. reason why you dont see rollerbladingg in xgames anymore except for the camera men. rollerblading would steal the show and companies would loose all the money they invested in sean white and travis pastrana, and thats a true story...
Oops - someone didn't get the 'no fisheyes' memo.
Attached Images