Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Any 135/2.8 or 200/4 has even thinner DOF but I don't recall many complaints about difficulty in nailing focus with such.
True, but with the narrow FOV, the shallow DOF doesn't have the same effect it does with a wider angle in terms of perception of softness - it becomes more obvious you are seeing shallow DOF rather than overall softness, because most likely, a great percentage of the actual picture area iss within the zone of acceptable sharpness. Also, the greater viewfinder magnification at longer focal lengths makes MF much easier.

08-27-2011, 07:17 AM   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
And maybe my copy was just flat out atrocious - but I think not! It was fine at f2.8 and higher, but regardless of the light at f1.4 it was very soft which IMO is unacceptable... The evidence is all over the web and anyone can see for themselves , at f1.4 the Sigma 30mm is clearly in a different league from the FA50.
Hi guys thanks for all your post‘s, Do you guys think that Pentax will come out with a 1.4 30mm? or one closer to 50
I am seeing a lot of good posts about the Sigma 30mm, except the most of the treats start with the words " I seam to have gotten a good copy" !!!!

It seams that the quality may vary? what is you thinking about the Sigma lens, would it be a better buy.

Also I will be going to Bangkok in November, what do you think is a good street lens, I have the DA 40
and the 18-135 and also the DA 70. but the 18-135 is a bit big, and the 40 sometimes seames not wide enough, would a DA15 be a good choice, and is it good for portraits too, although one has to get a bit close to the subject.
Is DA15 a fast lens, or would I need a necessarily need a fast street lens?

thanks in advance
Silvan
08-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gryphongryph Quote
Is DA15 a fast lens, or would I need a necessarily need a fast street lens?
You don't, but I would suggest that the 15 might be *too* wide for a street lens. The DA 21 might be better... not because it is faster, but its not nearly as wide... easier to work with and a great focal length for *hip shots*.
08-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I would suggest that the 15 might be *too* wide for a street lens.
Quite. I use my Tamron 10-24 for some street shooting, but at 24 rather than 10 or 15; and I use my Zenitar 16 indoors or in wide-open spaces, not on the street. The 10-16 range is great indoors; the 20-24 range is much better in tight streets. Wider streets demand longer lenses, so my 18-250 or the 21-24-28 primes get exercised there.